Wednesday 9 November 2022

H is Hampers for Christmas

 A few weeks ago, when I wrote about Rose-Hip syrup, I said it was difficult to find except for the Lakeland company having it - and I mentioned liking the look of one of their Christmas hampers. Only problem was that it costs £129.99!.

Here's what was in the £130 hamper on the Lakeland website that looked so good.............at first sight!

  • Antonio Facchin Dalla Balla Prosecco (750ml) 
  • Condado de Artola Rioja (750ml) – .
  • Donelli Red Sparkling Grape Juice (750ml) 
  • Simon Weaver Cotswold Brie (140g) –
  • Godminster Star Vintage Organic Cheddar (200g) –
  • The Ribblesdale Cheese Company Superior Goat’s Cheese (150g) –
  • Cropwell Bishop Blue Shropshire Wedge (200g) –.
  • Grants Smokehouse Rope-Hung Smoked Scottish Salmon (100g) – .
  • Great Glen Charcuterie Venison & Pork Salami (60g) – 
  • Roger Vidal Terrine Fine Champagne (180g) – 
  • Made For Drink Chorizo Thins (18g) –
  • Ballancourt Lobster Terrine Pâté (90g) –
  • Fosters Sobrasada Pâté (110g) –
  • Duncan’s of Deeside Wheat-Free Scottish Oatcakes (200g) – .
  • Olina's Cranberry & Pumpkin Seed Toasted Crackers (200g) – .
  • Drivers Real Ale Chutney (350g) –
  • Mrs Darlington Christmas Chutney (130g) – 
  • Fosters Savoury Gouda Cheese Straws (150g)

On closer inspection it would be a big waste of money for me as  I don't drink alcohol, and make my own chutneys and cheese straws. I'm not a fan of salami, chorizo and pates now that I don't eat  much meat. 
That would leave me with grape juice (although I'd rather have apple!), salmon, cheeses, oatcakes and the toasted crackers to eat with the cheese. 
A few years ago I thought about buying a few special things to make my own hamper but it didn't really come to anything.

I decided to try again this year. Thinking of things I wouldn't usually buy - special one-off food treats that I would like and all for much, much less than £130! 


These are the first 3 items for my hamper - all from Morrisons.


There will be no chocolate in my hamper because something odd happened during the summer.............I ate no chocolate at all for about 3 months and then when I tried some in September I found I just didn't like it anymore! Very, very strange.

I always put together two Christmas hampers for my sister and her husband and Col's sister and husband. It started several years ago when I didn't know what to get them. I make up the hampers using my home made jams, chutneys, marmalade and anything else I can think of. Thank heavens the cost doesn't amount to anywhere near £130. Both sisters would have a shock if it did!

I'll take a photo of the two hampers I shall be giving away in December and maybe if I find some more things for mine, I'll do a photo of that too.


Back Tomorrow
Sue

35 comments:

  1. Interesting chocolate observation. I didn't run into any chocolate once for about nine months, and when I had some it did nothing for me. It occurred to me chocolate is an addiction; once we are clear of it, it's over. Years later I tried cacao bars in the high nineties, advertised as good for one. It actually tasted good to me, but I could only eat about half a square a night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved chocolate for ever so it's really strange not to enjoy it anymore

      Delete
  2. Hampers are great when they're filled with homemade items. Yes, I'd like to see. I don't like chocolate much especially the dark kind or mousse etc. Not my thing. Milk chocolates with interesting fillings aren't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at myself as I used to love chocolate

      Delete
  3. Yikes. Not sure I could do without the chocolate. It really is a treat for me. I should cut down on it though.

    I think homemade hampers are best. There are usually items in those prepared hampers that no-one eats anyway and homemade jams and chutneys are a lot better than those in the shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to know how much the items in that hamper actually cost

      Delete
  4. I started making up hampers for my late parents for Christmas when they couldn't think of anything they'd like for presents. I loved collecting unusual jams, chutneys and treats for them throughout the year, things they wouldn't normally splurge on. It also became a tradition for the grandchildren to hide the hamper somewhere in their house when we visited for November half term!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those hampers are such a nice idea. I think of all the gifts that we are given that simply sit around the house. Now that I am seriously looking at downsizing, the hampers appeal to me even more. Food is always something that will be used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edible or readable are my favourite gifts now!

      Delete
  6. I too didn't have chocolate for ages and rarely bother now. And I shall try your idea of a hamper for me.
    You've almost overtaken me in these alphabet inspired posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the idea of the A-Z - it's going to get harder to think of things in the second half of the alphabet!

      Delete
  7. What a nice idea, to make oneself a nice Christmas hamper. I do similar for Dave and Anna and I used to for Mum and Dad. Beth and Alex are easier to buy gifts for but it's often a collection of gifts rather than one big one so maybe . . . there's time, isn't there?
    Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always hope the Sisters and their husbands enjoy the hampers. It would be difficult to think of things if I didn't do them

      Delete
  8. I do 3 hampers each year, it's a much nicer present for couples, my sister does one for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the two I make are well received, I'm never sure

      Delete
  9. I do a “hamper” for a couple. “Hamper” because each year I try to find a different, but useful, container to hold the goodies. Last year it was a large wine crate and this year I am thinking of a large galvanized tub which can be used as a planter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually pick up a couple of baskets of some sort from car boot sales, although I have used cardboard boxes covered with Christmas Paper and Jute Shopping bags.

      Delete
  10. What a fab idea. It will be a real treat for you and, at least, you will like everything in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just pick a few nice cheeses nearer to Christmas and see what else I can think of

      Delete
  11. I am so interested in what you put in them. I only do it full of baked things for our local highway department they work such long hours plowing our roads at Christmas time.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do a cake but no other baked goods as the families probably have them in for Christmas already. Chutneys etc will keep as needed later in the year

      Delete
  12. If you're interested in who the makers are, Simon Weaver is a real person, an organic farmer who rents my late father's fields and makes his cheeses in the farm next to us owned by John Wills, youngest son of Wills Tobacco whose mother was a Mitford girl. So his cheese really is made in the Cotswolds by local to us cows who graze in the field next to my herb sanctuary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely to know. We are lucky to have some local cheese makers in Suffolk too.

      Delete
  13. Your Christmas hampers are great as they are filled with items that can be used up and enjoyed without adding to the clutter that many already have! I may have to put together some hampers for my grown children that have everything. I do not make jam, marmalade or relish like you do but I might be able to gather items on sale to fill a basket. I will have to be on the lookout! Thanks for the idea, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hampers are great custom gifts. Including specialty items (normally not bought) makes the gift even more special. Gift baskets in the stores are more pricey than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ready made hampers are never worth the money for what's in them

      Delete
  15. It's very inventive to make up your own hampers and I can imagine they are very well received. Good on you for treating yourself this year too. The chocolate thing - I wish I could say the same, I'm as addicted as ever!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding not wanting to eat chocolate is very strange after so many years!

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed your Christmas hampers ideas you shared last year. Interesting about chocolate - I went off it in a big way after having too much as a child and then as a youngish adult started eating a bit of the semi-sweet dark stuff now and then. Flash forward to "old age" and I am supposed to avoid it for health reasons and of course crave it like mad. But I am very good and never eat it.

    ceci

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea to treat yourself to a hamper. You definitely deserve a treat.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the idea of Christmas hampers. I often give specialty foods for gifts, and since I am not a canner, mine are all store bought. We used to have the cutest little store that did nothing but this type gift baskets, but they went out of business 5 or more years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Last year we had a luxury hamper delivered as a total surprise by the firm the HG subcontracts for. It was a wonderful surprise and yelded many things I would never have bought for myself. It was £150 to buy - I was naughty and looked! We never ate all the things. The Christmas pudding is still in the cupboard as is the jar of christmas chutney and I still have a posh tin of ameretti biscuits unopened. I also have some of the crackers to pull left. The wine was delicious. The prosecco was too. The posh crisp, chocolates and biscuits were demolished too. The basket now stands in the dining room with Bluebell's stuff in it.
    My H would be Harry - now almost 12 years old, started High School in September and still all clear of the dreaded C. Yes he walks with his cane and needs extra equipment to support him but he is a bloody marvel and I am a very proud Aunty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a good idea to make up your own hamper of treats. I did something very similar last year when I struggled to find dairy free mince pies in our little town. I ordered lots of lovely dairy-free and vegan goodies online with a discount code that I had, and even made myself up a 'Quality Street' style sweetie tin with vegan sweets and chocolates.

    I have really splurged for my sons this year and ordered them a F&M hamper each for them and their partners. This is the first year one or the other of them have not needed emergency financial assistance from me and this is their reward.

    ReplyDelete