Monday 21 November 2022

R is for Reading

 Just as B had to be for Books so R has to be for Reading. 

I'm always reading something - usually library books

These are 13 that I had reserved and collected last week from the library van. (Apologies for poor photo, it was a wet and gloomy afternoon).

November Library Book Photo

The D.E Stevenson's that I asked the library service to buy have all come at once and then lots of crime as per usual.  I'll probably alternate. There are a couple of Non-Fiction.
The Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling )in the Strike series is huge fat book(I found the next in the TV series should be on before the end of the year). 
I shouldn't have ordered the one by Rachel Blok as although I read the first of hers a while ago, I found the second to be a nastier story and this one is the same - it will go straight back.
I can't remember why I requested the one about Prehistoric Life - must have had a reason. There are two by Anne Perry - one in the Daniel Pitt series and the other is a Christmas Novella. I may have tried the Veronica Smallwood crime novel before as it's several years old. I think someone mentioned her books - I'll give it a go. 
I started straightaway with the Kate Ellis because they are always a really good read mixing archaeology with crime and past with present.


These were the 16 books I'd ordered which I picked up from the library van last month and although there were many I thought were going to be good, it didn't turn out that way.


October Library Book Photo

 I sent back Landlines by Raynor Winn  - too much illness for me, I found I didn't want to know. No recipes were copied from 'Restore'. I thought The Rose Code would be good but it was too annoying. It's another written by an author from the USA who hasn't done enough research on the words that would have been used over here in the 1940s. I could have persevered but had plenty of others to read.
 I started reading Thunderstone and wasn't sure about it and put it back in the pile and then took it back by mistake so I've reordered it. 

All the crime were read and enjoyed.

Judi Daykin - Into Deadly Storms and An Artful Murder. 
Christianna Brand - Death of Jezebel. 
Alexander McCall Smith - A Song of Comfortable Chairs.
Mel Starr - Suppression and Suspicion 
Anthony Horowitz - A Line to Kill..
Sebastian Farr - Death on the Down Beat.
Martin Edwards -Editor. - Final Acts, Theatrical Mysteries.

The Great Plant Based Con is fascinating - an awful lot of facts and figures but many details about who actually benefits from the trend toward Veganism..............and it's not the people eating a vegan diet! I'm still dipping in and out of it.

Everything I've read has been added to the Books Read 2022 page

Back Tomorrow
Sue

35 comments:

  1. The Comfortable Chairs book is really entertaining, a peaceful read. I love Mma Ramotswe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - the sunshine and warmth always come through in his writing

      Delete
  2. Scenes from Prehistoric Life caught my eye at once. I must find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love D.E. Stevenson's novels and have only read one of the five you got, you have some happy hours of reading ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started Smouldering Fire which seems to be one of her good ones - some are a bit too romantic for me

      Delete
  4. Libraries are such a treasure, aren't they? A wonderful resource. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scenes from Prehistoric Life, written by Francis Pryor, He and his wife were the archaeologists who discovered Flag Fen, and dated Sea Henge wooden posts. I shall keep your list of what to read Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the Prehistoric Life book is readable and not too detailed

      Delete
  6. Several Francis Pryor in my library - just not the one in your pile.
    I read The Rose Code….there Prince Phillip storyline was odd to say the least

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Prince Phillip stuff at the beginning was another reason I gave up on it!

      Delete
  7. The Vegan one sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading much of the book I definitely won't be going vegan and it's not good for the planet either

      Delete
  8. I'd love to hear your thoughts on The Island House!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know, it looks good from the cover anyway

      Delete
  9. I had to smile that you didn't find any tempting recipes to copy in Restore when the sticker on the cover says 'over 100 irresistible recipes'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I borrow recipe books nowadays as I know what I like eating and tend to stick to the same things anyway

      Delete
  10. I do enjoy the D.E.Stevenson books, they’re light and easy reads. Agree about the Gaynor Winn books, the subject matter is too much for me. Like the sound of the vegan book though.
    Do you have to pay for reservations? Or is it free because of the rural location you’re in? It’s 75p here in Surrey, but that’s cheaper than buying in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the first book by Raynor Winn, the second not so much but the third was just too much illness to read further

      Delete
    2. Ooops sorry, didn't answer your question. Yes, thank goodness reservations are free - they decided it was a fairer way for small libraries and it moves book around the county better than any system of stock exchanges which is something we used to do when I worked in libraries in the 70's

      Delete
  11. I was exactly the same with Thunderstone, I got about a quarter of the way in and thought to myself that it just wasn't any good, but I persevered and I'm glad that I did.

    I'm interested to read The Great Plant-Based Con as there are now numerous people making a LOT of money out of what should be just simple eating. And so many companies now jumping on the vegan junk-food market, which is terrible for the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back on the waiting list for Thunderstone and will persevere a bit further into it next time

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed the Kate Ellis and Anne Perry books. I am always watching out for a new one by them.
    This week is Thanksgiving here and I will be hosting my family. I make a gluten-free, dairy-free turkey dinner now since my daughter has digestive issues. I started a few years ago and, altho it costs more for ingredients, it all still tastes delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished the Kate Ellis - a good story - lots of suspects

      Delete
  13. Your reading list of books is always impressive. The book on Vegan is surprising. Another healthy program turns out not as healthy as promoted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many food companies jumping on the band wagon and making a lot of money

      Delete
  14. I haven't tried Kate Ellis which is odd given I only live 30 minutes from the N. Devon coast! Are they good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very good if you like crime and archaeology. They are set in Dartmouth which she calls Tradmouth and Torbay which is Morbay! You need to start at the beginning to know the characters and their stories

      Delete
  15. Two goodly hauls there. I've only read the first of Gaynor Wynn's books. Will stop at that I think.

    Some books you have to persevere at - doing that with one at the moment, but probably reading it at bedtime is not the best idea as some of the prose is incredibly indigestible. May bring it downstairs and have lighter reading instead.

    BTW, Many Thanks for the booklet which arrived today. Just my cup of tea, and thank you very much Sue. You are very kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the booklet arrived OK.
      I never read in bed - it would wake me up

      Delete
  16. What struck me most about this post was mention of the Library Van. It reminded me that there used to be one visit or village but no longer - I can't say I noticed specifically when it stopped, and yet now it feels like an absence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked on a mobile library for a few years and have tried to use them ever since. Plus it means I can collect lots of reservations all at once and they are stamped for 8 weeks rather than 3 in a library building

      Delete
  17. Such a wonderful display of reading done and reading to begin.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete