Monday 14 November 2022

L is for Leaves

A couple of weeks ago I raked up lots of leaves from the Sycamore tree which is in next door neighbours garden but right against the fence, thinking there were still so many left I would have to do it a couple more times at least. But the rest of the leaves must have gone the other way as it's nearly bare now and I've not raked again so far.


Gathering Leaves

Spades take up leaves
No better than spoons,
And bags full of leaves
Are light as balloons.

I make a great noise
Of rustling all day
Like rabbit and deer
Running away.

But the mountains I raise
Elude my embrace,
Flowing over my arms
And into my face.

I may load and unload
Again and again
Till I fill the whole shed
And what have I then?

Next to nothing for weight;
And since they grew duller
From contact with earth,
Next to nothing for colour.

Next to nothing for use.
But a crop is a crop.
And who's to say where
The harvest shall stop.

                                   Robert Frost (1874-1963)


This is the order that some trees shed their leaves - according to one of my books of Weather Lore.

"Starting with Walnut, Sycamore, Horse Chestnut, Lime, Ash, Beech and Oak, Apple and lastly young Beeches and pollarded oaks which sometimes keep their leaves until they are pushed off by new ones in spring."

I found this painting by googling  'Autumn Leaves' - I rather like it and it fits in so well with this post.

File:John Buxton Knight00.jpg
Autumn Leaves by John Buxton Knight 1842-1908

Not an artist I've heard of.

John William Buxton Knight RBA (1843 – 2 January 1908), English landscape painter, was born in Sevenoaks, Kent.

He started as a schoolmaster, but painting was his hobby, and he subsequently devoted himself to it. In 1861 he had his first picture hung at the Royal Academy. He was essentially an open-air painter, constantly going on sketching tours in the most picturesque spots of England, and all his pictures were painted out of doors. He died at Dover on 2 January 1908


Back Tomorrow
Sue

29 comments:

  1. Seeing the man bagging up the leaves reminds me of a time I would trundle down the street with the wheelbarrow plus some black bags. Two neighbours had beautiful Liquid Ambers in their front gardens and didn’t mind in the least whoever gathered up the leaves and took them away….sadly they both have had them removed so no more free compost matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added this years to last years leaves, but I think I need to cover them to rot down

      Delete
  2. That poor old man will be forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nearly all our leaves have fallen with the exception of the few oaks that wait for Spring to release their brown leaves to the ground. I've been mowing over the leaves which grinds them into small pieces. They will decompose over the winter and add to the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never raked leaves before as Colin would use the ride on mower to chop up and add to compost. But here they fall in places I can't mow.

      Delete
  4. What a joy it would be to be able to create paintings like that. It evokes all the wonderful things I remember about autumn - leaves, colour, a slight haze. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read that Frost Poem. A beautiful painting
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to find things like this that fit in with a blog post

      Delete
  6. I love that poem. Very smile inducing, thanks you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great for your garden once they have rotted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to store them differently as the 2021 leaves hadn't rotted down and I've just added 2022 leaves on top

      Delete
  8. I love that painting.
    We have been spending almost every day raking leaves as we are surrounded by trees. The leaf bin is already full. My task each morning is to open the front door and remove the huge pile of leaves that have blown into the porch and spent the night there.
    I love autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to find a different artist.
      I love the way that leaves go round and round and end up in a heap

      Delete
  9. I think that the Walnut tree being one of the first to lose its leaves is true in my experience. Interestingly, it is one of the very last trees to come into leaf in Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ornamental beech or whatever it is, is still completely covered and only now turning yellow and the same with a huge willow in a neighbours garden

      Delete
  10. The painting looks like the bottom of my garden with a red oak and a red acer now shedding their leaves. I don’t bother raking them up but wait for the southwesterly wind to blow the leaves into the woodland edge where they slowly decompose and eventually I excavate buckets of leaf mould for sieving and using as seed sowing compost. In another corner of the garden I have a silver-leaf maple and these leaves turn salmon pink and pale gold and gently shimmer to the ground forming intricate patterns on the grass which I love. The beauty of Mother Nature never fails to astound me. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a maple like yours when we moved to the smallholding but it suddenly died one year - the same happened to a red hawthorn. Very Strange

      Delete
  11. A lovely poetic post - thank you
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's the sort of post I enjoy finding interesting bits to add to

      Delete
  12. I am lucky that my oldest son who lives with me takes care of the leaf mulching and raking. I used to help but I usually just slowed him down!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was driving down a quiet road, and in front of me, a little cyclone of swirling leave lifted up and danced together for several seconds before settling once again to the road surface. It was like magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we had a hay field at the smallholding we would sometimes see the hay being whisked into the air and round and round by invisible gusts of wind - like you say - magical

      Delete
  14. I always enjoyed helping the sons gather leaves for their usual fall projects. Seems like every teacher did something similar every fall.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely painting! Husband usually just clears up all the leaves and puts them at the back end of the garden lol. They, apparently, are good for all kinds of wildlife and birds - at least that's the excuse we use lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the painting. We were sat in Booths Cafe the other day watching a Booths employee 'womanfully' brushing up the leaves, then the wind swirling them away. She had a thankless task.

    ReplyDelete