Wednesday 20 September 2023

A Curious Find

 Sometimes I spot something at a boot sale that really needs looking at closely to find out more about it. This little find  set me back 50p from a box of house clearance stuff . I wanted to take the back off the frame to see if it really was something painted on a piece of old paper or just a print or a page from a book.

At the bottom it's just possible to read W805A  Courts??? 'Copyright 1957 Colbeam Palm???????.



It was easy to take apart as it was just a photo frame - with revoltingly dirty glass - and I found it's hand painted in oils on a board. I think the title might be "Courtship".

I googled as much as I could read and found Colbeam Palmer, were  makers of Paint by Numbers kits  - from the USA although  Colbeam Palmer had a London address in the 1950's (importers?) But in the States is the Colbeam Palmer Museum of Painting by Numbers.
Wiki says

In 2008, a private collector in Massachusetts assembled over 6,000 paint by number works dating back to the 1950s from eBay and other American collectors to create the Paint By Number Museum, the world's largest online archive of paint by number works. In 2011, the Museum of Modern Art in New York accepted four early designs of paint by number by Max Klein for its Department of Architecture and Design, donated by Jacquelyn Schiffman. 

I seem to remember doing a children's paint by numbers kit sometime in the 60's but no idea what the picture was, what it looked like when it was finished and what happened to it.

 Paint by numbers kits are still available - with dozens for sale on Amazon - some look extremely complicated with many different coloured paints and there are easier ones like the swans.

It was worth the 50p to send me on a small voyage of discovery! and after I'd given the glass and frame a good clean  I've added it to the picture wall.



The friends who visited last week asked where I'd found all my small pictures and it turns out that although two were from an art exhibition and had to be framed and two are my own stitching all the rest are from car boot sales. I've added a new label - Picture Wall - and found the posts where I bought most of the pictures from boot sales in the past.
There's room for a few more and then I'll have to start swapping them round or find a new home for some.


And from the same seller a small bundle of old or repro postcards for £1. These are for adding to my scrapbook - something that started when I found someone's old scrapbook at a boot sale.



The card on the left is 3D  and someone has written Happy Xmas on it and a message on the back about an enclosed gift of a magnifying glass. It looks very old but things can be deceptive because in tiny lettering on the bottom of the back it says -

Printed and Published by Mamelock Press Ltd  ©1998. Northern Way Bury St Edmunds.

Who seem to be still in business but now in Cambridge selling reproduction Victorian greetings cards and the scrapbook scraps that I found at a boot sale years ago and similar to what we had as children. 


Back Tomorrow
Sue

 

 

33 comments:

  1. I remember doing several Paint-By-Numbers kits when I was a youngster, though I don't think I ever did that one. I found one of my efforts in the loft when I was in my twenties and couldn't believe how precise and meticulous I was at such a young age. Must've had a steadier hand and a sharper eye in those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were quite a thing for giving for Christmas presents I think

      Delete
  2. It’s interesting going down these little alleyways of knowledge…who would have thought there’d be a Museum of Painting by Numbers ! Thanks for taking the trouble to find out 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a paint by numbers kit too. And a mysterious kit to make a sort of stained glass picture. There was an outline in thick black paint of a crinoline lady in a garden, painted on the glass, and loads of bits of tinfoil like chocolate wrappers, which you had to stick on the back. It was really complicated and I was convinced I was going to smash the glass! I love your picture wall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that - what a blast from the past. I thought it was beautiful. tricky though, definitely! xx

      Delete
    2. Son reminded me of Felt by Numbers which were kits he had that had printed card and pieces of felt that stuck on - he made several bird pictures. I'd forgotten about them

      Delete
  4. I thought that was a paint by numbers as soon as I saw it. I did one of swans on a lake when I was about 14. It was much bigger than that one and took me quite a while to do it. I've no idea what happened to it as it was over 60 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an idea it might be after taking out of the glass but was confirmed by looking up the printed name

      Delete
  5. I remember paint by numbers - I usually got one as a Christmas present but mine never turned out as good as that one - it's delightful and looks lovely on your wall. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it makes a nice little addition to the picture wall keeping the trend of mainly car boot finds

      Delete
  6. I think you and me will be appearing on 'Hoarders' on Channel 4. Great finds and you never leave a bargain at a carboot sale. Well that's my motto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hoard! Many things leave the house each month now I'm in a smaller bungalow - I hate mess and things cluttering up everywhere

      Delete
  7. My eldest daughter enjoyed paint by numbers and I bought one for my grandson a couple of years ago. I used to enjoy my scrapbook. Yours must be a treasure trove of delights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also recognised it as a paint by numbers. I believe they must have been popular as gifts for children during the 1950s as I remember my older brother doing them. He was very meticulous and not to be disturbed by his little sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could remember what picture I did, I remember all the little pots of paint.

      Delete
  9. Actually I didn't immediately think Paint by Numbers although I remember doing one of a horse when I was young.
    This one is very nice.
    On your wall display I like your sampler very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stitched the sampler when I moved here, made it up as I went along. I did one for my sister when she last moved too

      Delete
  10. It's a good addition to your picture wall. The nice thing about these bargains is that you can chop and change as often as you feel like it without breaking the bank.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Room for a few more small pictures then I'll have to swap them now and again

      Delete
  11. I had completely forgotten about paint by numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at how many there are still available - someone must still by them

      Delete
  12. I thought right away that your picture was paint by numbers. I remember my Mom doing 2 sweet paint by numbers for the "baby's room" when we were young. I had them for a long time but they were 2 colorful clowns and then clowns became scary so I took them down. Eventually I gave them to charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a fan of clowns - there used to be a circus on TV every Christmas and I wouldn't look at them!

      Delete
  13. I like your picture wall. I also did a paint by number picture many years ago. It was a Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like many of us had them for Christmas presents!

      Delete
  14. I remember doing paint by numbers as a child. As soon as I saw your picture, I thought, "That looks like an old paint by number picture!" I love your picture wall as well. I have one in the front hall, but it is all drawings of fine homes and churches, most of them collected at thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your picture wall sounds lovely with a theme.
      Mine are just random finds.

      Delete
  15. my ex father in law used to love painting by numbers back in the 80s he did the huge complicated ones and most of the family were gifted them , i always wondered what happened to them all

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew right away it is paint by numbers---but still a very charming find. Collectible now too, I believe.
    I first learned to paint doing paint-by-numbers as a child, I loved doing them. My artist parents shooed me off to doing my own work pretty quick, the paint by paintings never seen again, lol.
    The post cards are a really great find too.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did many a paint by number picture as a preteen. Loved doing them though I wasn't always the neatest.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This reminded me straight away of purchasing a job lot in an auction for a fiver. bringing it home only to find there was over 100. sheets of pictures possibly all ripped out from a book. All larger than A4. I bought some large cellophane envelopes. and packed each one separately I turned round and sold them for £5 each at a local craft market.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to sell reproduction Christmas and greetings cards as well as Christmas decorations in my first shop, they were very popular. I'm wishing I'd kept some of the slightly pre-war ones now.

    Your picture wall looks brilliant, I do like a display that grows over time and is full of memories. My walls are pretty full now ... but I can always squeeze a few more things in. ;-)

    ReplyDelete