Friday 15 September 2023

Biscuits

 I used to buy these sometimes many years ago, when the children were small as they were really cheap - harking back to the days when Woolworths sold bags of broken biscuits for pennies. (Before my time obviously!)


 Dunkables - An assortment of whole biscuit, biscuit mis-shapes and part biscuits. Ideal for dunking in your favourite beverage.
They used to have large pieces, often chocolate Foxes brand or McVities which were quite a treat back then.

I hadn't thought about or seen them for many years, so when I noticed them in QD recently I bought a pack out of curiosity but they were a disappointment as there were more crumbs than biscuit pieces and what biscuits there were tasted a bit dusty. I ate the bigger bits and bashed the rest into crumbs and tipped them into a saucepan with some melted butter. Then used the mix to line a large flan case, wrapped it well and popped it in the freezer. It will make a banoffee base or something similar for Christmas

Then I gratefully went back to normal and baked a big batch of peanut biscuits

 BASIC BISCUIT RECIPE
8oz Plain flour         }
1tsp baking powder }     sieved together
Pinch salt

4oz butter
4oz caster sugar
1 egg

(I always add 2oz plain unsalted peanuts but variations could be coconut, currants, chocolate chips, lemon zest or coconut)

Rub fat into flour, add rest of dry ingredients then add beaten egg, mix to bind.
Roll out as thin as possible, cut into rounds, put onto greased trays and bake at a medium heat for 10 - 12 minutes, until just changing colour. Put straight onto wire trays to cool and crisp up.



My children and the children I child-minded after school when they were 8 and 9 years old loved these when they came in "starving!"

Back Tomorrow
Sue

27 comments:

  1. Home made biscuits are the best! I do remember someone once giving my Mum a huge bag of the broken ones. She painstakingly went through them putting them into three tins - the smallest of which held the ones which miraculously were unbroken, and deemed good enough for visitors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are still around in 1kg boxes but not in many places and after Christmas they have boxes of broken chocolate biscuits (left from the making of thousands of Christmas biscuit assortments)

      Delete
  2. There's an art to dunking biscuits to avoid a soggy mess at the bottom of the cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and then you have to fetch a spoon to fish it out!

      Delete
  3. I think the simpler the biscuit, the better! We often just have a Rich Tea biscuit or similar but if I do bake then I quite like Melting Moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Sal. They are very moreish.

      Delete
    2. My home made biscuits are either the peanut, double choc with choc chips, shortbread or Easter currant biscuits

      Delete
  4. They look lovely and with the bonus that you know what the ingredients are. No UPF in those 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect there were some weird things in the Dunkables but I forgot to look

      Delete
  5. What a coincidence. After I had read your blog post this morning, P came back from shopping with a pack of these to take up to the local hospital as a thank you to the staff there. I told him what you had discovered inside your pack so he is going to buy them something better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, they might not have been impressed with a packet of crumbs!

      Delete
  6. I rarely buy cookies (biscuits) they never taste as good as homemade
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have one manufacturer here who make very nice chocolate varieties but very expensive - just for Christmas perhaps

      Delete
  7. Probably nicer to have one tasty homemade biscuit than a plateful of the cheapies ,I used to make them all the time - it's a habit I should restart.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly always make my own biscuits - but keep an emergency packet of shortbread fingers in the cupboard!

      Delete
  8. I bet your homemade biscuits are better than any store bought biscuit. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will make some soon. I remember McVities (plain and chocolate dipped) but have not had any for a while. I wonder what the ingredients/preservatives are. Maybe I will not buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My home made get eaten far too quickly if the family are here!

      Delete
  9. I always opt for homemade, so I know what's in them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your homemade biscuits look delicious. I need to make a batch of oatmeal bars today as it's all in one cooking sheet. Your biscuits look like cookies. I remember a lady from England who was buying food at Panera Cafe, where I used to work, told us what a few things were called in England as in cookies and chips. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look good, and some good variations too. I had over-ripe bananas here soit was a banana loaf with chocolate chips from leftover dark choc in fridge door.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reminds me of the little shop run by my mother's friend across the street from where I grew up. She had tins of loose biscuits for sale in her tiny front room shop. Some days you'd go in and she'd say we've got assorted biscuits on special offer today. Whole and broken. It always made me giggle.
    Nothing beats a lovely home baked cookie does it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminds me of time at my village Primary School, where an older child was selected each day at morning break to go to the local shop just along the road to fetch "Mr Manders broken biscuits" - he was the headmaster and had an arrangement with the shop for the pupils to collect his break biscuits each day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My grandfather was an old fashioned grocef in NZ. All biscuits came in tins once upon a time and were sold by weight - carefully placed in a paper bags. Inevitably there were broken ones at the end so bags of broken biscuits were sold 'discounted'. I can only imagine that people were accustomed to eating stale biscuits in those days. (Or they were double baked and you HAD to dunk them.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Homemade cookies after school were always a great treat. Glad you made some to enjoy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to bake a big batch of cookies once a week for lunches and snacks for 'starving' children. The end of your post reminded me of those days. Not a lot of cookie baking these days. We don't need sweets in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We used to get big boxes of broken biscuits from the Co-op when I was small, most likely on the weeks that my Mum had enough housekeeping left over. They were dusty and in various states of brokenness but the Fig Rolls which me and my brother were not keen on were always perfect. Mum would not buy another box until we had eaten everything from the previous box, so we had to grit our teeth and eat the fig rolls.

    ReplyDelete