Tuesday 19 September 2023

Crowfield Church Without the Flower Festival

All Saints Church Crowfield  is where I go every August for their flower festival because they have a very good second-hand book stall at the same time.

The church is tucked away behind what was the moat for the long gone manor house and is over a mile out of the village.

The moat is covered in duck weed at the moment - doesn't look like water at all.


Then you turn the corner at the end of the path and find the most unusual small church. 


With the only timber framed chancel in Suffolk


As I mentioned when I wrote about the flower festival, this little church was built as a chapel of ease for Coddenham in the 1400s.

A chapel of ease (or chapel-of-ease) is a church building other than the parish church, built within the bounds of a parish for the attendance of those who cannot reach the parish church conveniently, generally due to distance away. Often a chapel of ease is deliberately built as such, being more accessible to some parishioners than the main church.

It's odd that Coddenham village is further away than Crowfield village, parish boundaries must have changed.



Many of the stained glass windows have words from the bible







There are some very good pieces of wood carving 





Under the embroidered altar cloth the altar table was rescued from the redundant Mickfield Church



The little spire for the church's one bell was rebuilt to look better 20 years ago as before that it was described as 'stumpy'!




More about the church in the Suffolk Churches website HERE

Apologies to several people whose comments - old and new - had disappeared into spam comments, where I'd forgotten to look for ages. And thank you to other people who had commented on old posts and I'd not been back to look........I'm a Very Bad Blogger!

Back Tomorrow
Sue


31 comments:

  1. I have a series of children's books which I much enjoyed centred on a place called Crowfield by Pat Walsh, and had no idea this was a real place. They are set in and around a decaying medieval monastery with demons and monsters; now I've seen your pictures I must reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crowfield is a small village in Mid Suffolk - but no Abbey or monastery!

      Delete
  2. Aha! I recognise that place. Lovely to see some different photos and learn things that I'd missed. I'd like to see that flower festival some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always Bank Holiday weekend at end of August. I go mainly for their second-hand book stall!

      Delete
  3. What a pretty church, it looks like a fairytale cottage in the woods. I don’t think I have ever seen a timber-framed church, but as with round-tower churches I feel sure there must be one or two in hidden away in Sussex. I will try and find out. I wonder how many people have mistaken the duckweed for grass and stepped into the moat. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is different to most Suffolk churches and I expect many people don't even know it's there.

      Delete
  4. I have visited that church - it is rather special.

    Roy Hudd lived in the house behind the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house by the church is very old - an old Suffolk long house I think

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is the one. I was there about five years ago and bet a local who told me about Roy Hudd.

      Need to revisit

      Delete
  5. You are anything but a bad blogger. That church is delightful; it has human scale to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much smaller than most churches but very good inside

      Delete
  6. It is a very pretty church and the spire is most unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was a picture of what it looked like before when it was "stumpy"

      Delete
  7. That looks very familiar - I'm sure I've been there and looked around. It's a lovely place, isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tucked away in very rural Mid Suffolk - it's a little treasure

      Delete
  8. I adore that litle timber framed church Sue - what a jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special place. So ancient and beauty in all the details
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super ecclesiastical photos Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely church and so well preserved.

    Yes, you are a bad blogger, but then so am I ... I keep disappearing for days at a time, at least you pop up regularly. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes a sweet building, if it becomes Redundant I love to put an offer in!
    Spoken like a true non believer. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's very unlikely although nearby Mickfield church was for sale recently

      Delete
  13. This is the smallest most magical little church I've ever seen. It seems straight out of a fairy tale. I especially like the small interior making it very intimate and personal for parishioners gathering for a Sunday service. The hidden little gem of a church appears to be well loved and cared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always have lots of helpers for the flower festival so plenty of local people looking after it

      Delete
  14. I've been reading but haven't been commenting lately. Sometimes I can't decide what to say! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been very lazy at commenting elsewhere but have lots of posts in drafts for several days ahead!

      Delete