Saturday 23 September 2023

Saturday 23rd and The Weekly Round Up

Thanks to everyone for comments yesterday, sorry I didn't get round to replying and thank you to Debbie at Rustic Pumpkin for more information on the word Mabon
Will Mabon ever be a word on Wordle? which I did in 2 (CLOSE) on Tuesday, blimey! well chuffed! can't remember the rest of the week but no fails.

 Low spend September continued............ although I spent out on bits for the Sink Pond = £9.50 - a marginal Water Geum, oxygenating plant in the water and water snails hopefully making this mini-pond more welcoming to frogs etc..




I swam and went to the exercise group and bought postage stamps, fruit, eggs and milk, and a cheap 2024 diary from The Works and that's was all the money spent this week.....until the company who I'm getting the sofa and chair from rang to say it was in - a month earlier than expected. So I had to pay the other half and that was the end of low spend September! Delivery is next week. 

Eating from freezer and garden really does continues

Sunday - Courgette Crumble with the last of the runner beans
Monday - Thai Red Fish Curry - home made-  from freezer with rice.
Tuesday - Quorn Bolognese sauce - home made- from freezer with spaghetti
Wednesday - Fish Fingers, sweetcorn cobs and fried tomatoes
Thursday - Leek and Bacon Pilaff....again.. still plenty of leeks
Friday - Courgette (very few and small now) and pesto pasta.
Today - Omelette and tomatoes

I actually found some  free food - such a rare occurrence around here. Half a dozen nice big cooking apples from a box labelled 'Help Yourself ' on my way home last Saturday. They've been peeled, sliced and added to the freezer for winter fruit.


During the rest of the week I got lemon marmalade made - from a tin of prepared lemons. I left it plain this time instead of adding in a tin of grapefruit. Two jars for the Christmas Hampers and 4 for me. Also baked a cake for the week, did a bit more garden clearing and fished out a partly done cross stitch kit to finish for a little gift.


Have a good weekend
I'll be back Monday with the Library Book Photo.
Sue

24 comments:

  1. Nice to find a free fruit giveaway; not so many of those around these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good find, I went back again today but no box there anymore

      Delete
  2. Bramley's are somewhat rare in my town. That was a lucky find, were the lemons from Mamade. I used to use it but sweet things first thing in the morning sets my appetite off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a tin of prepared . toast and marmalade in the morning gets me through!

      Delete
  3. I thought the courgettes had finished but I picked one green and three yellow for a frittata last night. We seem to be lucky with free fruit around here, but I did succumb to buying a dozen local Cox’s Orange Pippins from the farm shop this week and then yesterday I bought from Parham (local Elizabethan house and garden, the name means pear enclosure) 10 Lord Lambourne for £2. I grow LL but the squirrels had most of mine despite my best efforts to deter them. We have been eating the most delicious Sweetcorn Swift from the garden and there a few more to come and the borlotti beans have been amazing and so decorative. September is racing away and there will soon be space in the veg garden to plant the garlic for harvest next midsummer. I make marmalade from my Calamondin oranges but we’ve just opened the last jar so there might be a bit of a hiatus, thank goodness I made damson jam earlier! Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sweetcorn have been delicious - something I would never buy as they need to be really fresh.
      We have a Parham in Suffolk too

      Delete
  4. Lovely news about your sofa-looking forward to a photo. I’m going to tidy the garden this morning once it’s dried off a bit. There are bulbs to be planted too but I need to find the chicken wire and bricks first otherwise the squirrels will have a gourmet feast. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their 10- 12 week delivery went down to 7 suddenly - must be short of orders

      Delete
  5. I've never tried a savoury crumble. I'll have to give it a go. Something for me to look up on Google. after I've had my flu inoculation this afternoon. Definitely feeling autumnal here this morning. The living room was below 20 degrees Celsius for the first time since well, the last time it was below 20 degrees Celsius which is a good few months ago now. Lovely looking apples. Last week, the first time ever, I turned down a bag of apples from my neighbour because I can no longer safely peel them. I'm going to miss an apple pie and an apple crumble this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the recipe is on my recipe page, bit fiddly to make for one but good use of courgettes

      Delete
  6. Quite a few give-aways here, from fruit and flowers to knitted/crocheted small gifts for small children on their way to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love free flowers - the sunflower farm charged £6 for a small bunch - they are now left to die. Think they could have given them away!

      Delete
  7. You know what they say about...best laid plans? I find, it happens more often than not. Oh well! You'll enjoy your new couch and chair. The pond looks close to completion with all the supplies on-hand. Since my oil purchase, my spending seems level with groceries still topping all costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need lots more big stones to put round the pond to hide the black liner

      Delete
  8. Snap, I've got windfall apples from someone on the way into town with too many. I think I may try slow cooker chutney with it as I stocked up on Demerara sugar and dried fruit this week too. I just need to kick myself into gear.

    The little pond looks very welcoming. I had the Water Geums by my wildlife pond at Ynyswen. Here there are dozens and dozens of the land variety which soon spread.

    Exciting to hear that your sofa and chair will soon be delivered. A necessary expense. Here the recent gusty winds have finished off the ancient panelling by the rhododendrons so I will have to replace those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pond isn't as good as one I left behind at the smallholding but it's all I can manage to do.
      It's the patio which will be my next big expense

      Delete
  9. Free food of any kind is awesome. Those apples look really big. Yes on the arrival of your new furniture very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apple in the freezer will be handy if I can't get out for fresh fruit

      Delete
  10. I think I have only ever had two or three Wordle wins in two words ... I can assure you I got very excited too. I missed out on getting my Wordly word in one a few weeks back, the first word was REACT which is one of my two alternating starters.

    Brilliant for you to get free apples, I have seen none around our town. Everyone seems to be hanging on to their food this year, there weren't even any courgettes/marrows to be seen on garden walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the same word each day for wordle - saves me having to think!
      I think I was the only person in my village who put out free veg when I had several cucumbers all at once

      Delete
  11. I was on a roll in wordle 2 and 3 but today 4. Your water feature is looking great. Always good to get free apples
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel surprised to get Wordle in less than 4 or 5!
      The apples will be handy for winter

      Delete
  12. You may not see frogs etc now, not til spring. Now they are hunkering down to hibernate, not looking for new ponds to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with my pond is that it's not really deep enough and will probably freeze in any really cold spell which is why I need more stones around it to protect it a bit.
      Hope frogs find it in spring

      Delete