Friday 22 September 2023

Mabon

 Looking through books about old weather lore you won't find the word Mabon anywhere as Mabon is the name of the modern Pagan festival celebrating the Autumn Equinox, which this year happens at 7.49am tomorrow morning. It is the midpoint of one quarter of the Wheel of The Year.


The equinox marked the end of all the harvesting and the end of the years cycle and is the beginning of astrological Autumn.

One of the things suggested for modern pagans to do is to draw a circle on the ground, marking it's boundary with natural things. Split the circle into eight segments representing each part of the year that has just finished and put  suitable things in each segment to mark your own year. Walk around the outside of the circle and meditate on the year passed and that which is to come.

There are many old  weather sayings for yesterday which was St Matthew's Day but I did a whole post about him two years ago so won't repeat those this year. However I found one prediction  centred on the equinox which said.........
A quiet week before the autumn equinox and after, the temperature will continue higher than usual into winter.


It wasn't a quiet week here - very wild and windy on Tuesday and Wednesday, thankfully not as much rain as other parts of the country and still not too chilly. I found the radiators warm one morning when it must have been really chilly at 6.30 but that was the only time the heating has come on. I got round to dipping the oil tank and the watchman is correct as it's still half full - surprisingly.. The boiler juice company are recommending filling up heating oil tanks now rather than later as prices are rising again, so I may well do that soon. Apparently we now also have another few years to change from heating oil to an electric based heating system.

Back Tomorrow
Sue


17 comments:

  1. Our neighbour is just changing her system. One of the workmen came over yesterday morning and asked if they could please borrow a stepladder - they'd left theirs at the previous job! We were happy to oblige, and they gave us the two wooden pallets which they didn't want! Everybody happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum always said if there are more berries at this time of year, nature is fattening the wildlife before a hard winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were debating yesterday how long it would be before we had to think about heating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just got time today to draw my circle, thanks for the reminder. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had just the most beautiful couple if days. But we are now chilly and maybe some rain coming in.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it only refers to installing a new boiler when the old one is changed. Our service chap told us that and for now, everything like that has been put back the other day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of Mabon ... you are very educational. :-)

    Alan has been remarking on the price of diesel gradually creeping up week after week when he fills his tank, so I think all fuel prices are set to rise for Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've had a long cold WET winter this year. Not just your everyday pitter patter rain, oh not for us ! We've had a REAL winter ! Looking forward to sunshine and warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our radiators have come on 3 times now, twice this week and once a couple of weeks ago. We obviously have the thermostat set too low.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No heating needed yet at my house. I don't have it turned on yet. Soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is widely believed in Wales that the {modern} pagan festival of Mabon is named after the Welsh god of youth, Mabon ap Modron, first mentioned in the White Book of Rhydderch c1350. Although the festival is modern, the origins of the name are ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ! think the only thing that can be predicted at the moment is that the weather is becoming more unpredictable - and the politicians!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Autumn and the changing season. The brisk air combined with blue sky and sunshine is refreshing. It is perfect for projects outside in the garden and hiking with my dog in the woodlands. I've not used my oil heat thus far. I still burn oil to heat my hot water so had to top off my 2 tanks recently. Anyone looking to step away from oil, could consider heat pumps. They are energy efficient and provide heating and cooling. They provide heat up to -15 to 20 degrees. This would be more than sufficient in the UK. I have several heat pumps and use them year around. They definitely offset my use of oil for heating in the Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love your posts about folklore and seasonal rituals. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What interesting information. Thank you so much for sharing with us all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the idea of being mindful of the seasons, of noting the changes, and drawing on that to move forward. That's a very meaningful ritual, even if you are not a pagan!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heatwave over then. I joked about it with my sister. She said it had been rather windy. She's determined not to put her heating on until she gets back from her holiday (she leaves in a couple of weeks). I suppose we'll see. Having a couple of quite hot days here. I was enjoying the cooler Autumn weather and suddenly - wham - warm again. Ugh. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete