Tuesday 12 September 2023

Peppers and Pond

 Two more peppers, sliced and  put into the freezer. If the other plants hadn't have been nobbled they all would have looked like this. There is one pepper left which I'll use fresh this week. I only grew this pointed variety this year but next year I'm planning on growing some of the orange block shaped ones that I grew last year, because having  all one sort is a bit boring.




I used the one remaining green pepper, my one small butternut squash, an onion, some potatoes, a courgette and chopped small some of my  runner beans plus half a jar of Korma curry paste and a tin of coconut milk to make a pan of curry which divided into 5 portions for the freezer = about 70p a portion

This is the beginning of my small sink-pond, still a lot to sort out.  It will eventually have slabs and stones all round to hide the pond liner. I need something to put in it to allow critters to climb out and something to put across a corner for shade and then I'll get some oxygenating plants and some pond snails.  Need more stones too - I had a bag of white pebbles bought during lockdowns with the  


 intention of painting them and Granddaughter brought me a few round pebbles back from their holiday, Brother-in-Law donated a bucket full of flints that he had sitting around in his garden but lots more needed and they are not easy to find in this part of the country where we have no natural stone - only flints - which are usually small.
 Perhaps it will attract some frogs next spring......or not!

Back Tomorrow
Sue


17 comments:

  1. It's amazing what small bodies of water frogs will find - my neighbour has some living in the tiny fountain he bought from the garden centre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to look wonderful . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always amazed at what turns up by way of aquatic fauna when a pond is installed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lots of frogs and toads in my garden and I don’t even have a pond! I am wondering if it might be easier to find pieces of old wood to conceal the edges and just use your limited amount of stones to create a ‘beach’ in one corner? Th wood could overhang the pond by a couple of inches to create shady hiding places. For oxygenating plants do try and find native varieties such as water violet and water buttercup rather than the fast-growing Canadian pondweed and look out for a water soldier that looks like the top of a pineapple and floats on (patrols) the surface all summer providing shade and a resting place for insects and sinks quietly to the bottom during the winter and pond snails are a must too. This is going to be fun! Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will establish very quickly and attract all sorts of beasties. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that little sink pond. You can buy the large Scottish pebbles from garden centres but boy are they expensive. Our Scottish garden is full of them but you are a bit too far away from me to get any to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you pile the stones inside the pond, you can create steps for anything to climb out, and places to rest when drinking. I am desperate for a pond in our garden, but as yet, no room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After having very few runner beans we now have a surfeit. We are picking them small and they are delicious. Supermarkets sell them too big and stringy. The pond looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure that the wildlife will use it - probably starting now. Water is such a magnet to the insects as well as the frogs and toads. I look forward to seeing who is first to arrive. Enjoy chosing the plants for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My SIL has troughs and all kinds of vessels with water around her garden. They green over and blend in and have lots of frogs and other inhabitants. She never tries to camouflage or make different. Nature just takes care of it for her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We tried with a small 'sink' pond when we first moved in here, and although it attracted lots of insects we got no other wildlife, perhaps we are just too close to the canal for them to want to bother. The only large living thing that was ever in it was Suky the Pug, twice she fell in, oh and Alan's foot one day when he stepped backwards.

    We put the Rhubarb plant where it used to be to make full use of the nice big hole we had when we removed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have often thought of putting a little pond in the garden but if I attracted frogs the cats would have a field day. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sister has one of these sink ponds and last year there seemed to be nothing living in it - this year she has lots of baby frogs, so worth the work.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your red peppers look perfect and must be deliciously fresh. The pond is coming along nicely and will attract lots of frogs and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We dug a pond, lined it, put aquatic plants in it, filled it and waited.
    Within a very short time we had newts; it seems they find their way overland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It would be so awesome to have croaks coming from your little pond. Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete