Thursday 19 April 2018

Mendlesham Church

Remember I was short of ideas for blog posts?

I have a cunning plan..............thanks to this book, which has been on my shelves for several years.
It features interesting things from 100 churches all round Suffolk. We'll start with those closest to home.
Last week when we were out we had to come home via  MENDLESHAM  to pick up tablets from our doctors surgery, it seemed an ideal opportunity to stop at the church for a few minutes and find the things mentioned in the book.

The place-name 'Mendlesham' is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it appears as Melnesham and Mundlesham. The name means 'Myndel's village'.
St Mary's Mendlesham


 First........... The Font cover made by a local man called John Turner in 1630. In the 19th century it fell into disrepair and was removed to the clock chamber where it stayed until it was repaired and put back over the font in 1908.


The same man carved the pulpit, I like the old stone steps, worn away by the feet of dozens of vicars


This carving on a pew-end shows a dragon biting his curled tail, a symbol of infinity. 



The book doesn't mention that  a room above the porch.......

  originally a priest’s room, contains a unique armoury - “the most complete armoury of any English parish church”. As well as the parish collection of armour, assembled at the time of the Armada, it contains part of an Elizabethan longbow, several parish chests, a ‘Vinegar’ Bible and other artifacts. It is open on the afternoon of the first bank holiday in May.


The man who is Vicar there has been there forever...........(well not quite.... but certainly since we lived in the area back in the 1980's). It's High Church with incense and all the trimmings  so more RC than C of E (More about Anglo-Catholic church HERE ) and they reject the ordination of Women. 
One of our neighbours where we used to live in the 1980's became a devout member of this church but only for a few years so her son (same age as our eldest) could get a free scholarship to a private RC school! talk about working the system!

1 Church down 99 to go!

Thank you for all the comments welcoming Willow Rose to the world. I hope these colds go so we can see her soon and we've also had to miss seeing Florence this week too. Wish someone had cured the common cold years ago!
Willow and I aren't the only shared birthdays in the family. Our Youngest shares her birthday with Col's sister and Florence shares her birthday with our nephew. 

And is it any wonder we talk about the weather a lot in this country when it goes from chilly....... needing a fire all day to well over  20 degrees C in the space of a couple of days!

Back Tomorrow
Sue

24 comments:

  1. That's a very handsome church. I particularly like the dragon and that little brass knob just inside the pulpit - presumably placed there to help the vicar haul himself up the final step!

    The only shared birthdays in my family are those of my two DiL's and they have the same birthday as my mother - one is Faroese and the other Chinese. She would have been tickled pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely carving there and, like you, I love the idea of all the feet that have worn away those stone steps. I think you have a fascinating project there. I wonder if they do one for Essex.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a series of posts. the font cover is magnificent and so few churches have them. Must say, I lean towards High Church C/E myself. Love a bit of bells and smells!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* on the new granddaughter and I love her name! I enjoyed seeing that church. Have fun with your next adventures from the book. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your colds soon go so you can meet Willow Rose for the first time (beautiful names).

    LOVED hearing about this church. My OH (well, me too) would love to see the Armoury upstairs. Sounds fascinating. Just a bit too far for a day out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, just to mention that your comment is incorrect regarding the High Church wing of the CofE and their rejection of the ordination of women priests. I myself attend a high church (smell and bells etc) and we have more women priests that celebrate the Eucharist etc. then men! There is a wing of the CofE called Forward in Faith who do not recognise the ministry of women priests, but on the whole the CofE is very inclusive. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please read more carefully.....I am only talking about THIS church. This Church does not recognise the ordination of woman priests. I make no comment about all other churches High or Low.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the safe arrival of Willow Rose - gorgeous name! Regarding colds - I don't know whether it is coincidental but for the past couple of years I have made sure I have drunk at least 8 glasses of water a day and I have had hardly a sniffle! When I did, it never developed into anything much and lasted a couple of days only. I look and feel so much better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading about the church and I would be fascinated to see the armoury too.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your new project. I have a special affinity for a church in Suffolk. It is in the village of Great Ashfield where my father served during WWII at a nearby U.S. B-17 air base. The church has two items dedicated to the memory of those who served at the base: a WWII memorial book with the names of U.S. servicemen from the group who lost their lives during the war, as well as a special stained-glass window dedicated to their memory. My father maintained ties with people in the area after the war ended and visited often. When the church needed repairs (some decades ago), he was able to work with other bomb group members in the US to help provide some financing. When he died in the 1980s, my family came over from the US and held a memorial service for him in the church--many locals people attended. So as you can see, the church--and Suffolk--hold a special place in my heart and I've been fortunate to have returned for visits a number of times over the years.

    If you would like me to send you some photos of the inside of the church, please feel free to email me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me weepy. Born in Suffolk, lived in U.S. and Canada, the bonds between regular people in extraordinary times are a noble thing.

      Delete
    2. There are memorials in many churches and villages in Suffolk, Norfolk and Lincolnshire commemorating the Airmen who served in the USAF in this country. There is one at Mendlesham church but I forgot to photograph it.
      I know Gt Ashfield church,it's not far from where I grew up and I went to a wedding there - a long time ago, lots of people in the area learned to drive (before going out on the road) on what was left of the old runways!

      Delete
  10. Just catching up with your news Sue. A belated Happy Birthday and Congratulations to all the family on the arrival of Willow Rose - what a beautiful name and what a beautiful baby.

    I really enjoy looking around churches and thinking about all the people who have been there in years gone by. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, I do enjoy visiting churches myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First, I didn't get a chance to comment yesterday so a big congratulations to you, Col (and of course your son and daughter-in-law) on your new, sweet granddaughter Willow Rose. I love her name!

    For today, I enjoyed your tour of the Suffolk church and look forward to more. Not being familiar with Suffolk (except through you) I will look up the spots on Google Maps to get a sense of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your new arrival. My husband and daughter share their birthday. She was his 29th birthday present and she even had a card ready for him!! In true frugal fashion I decided they could have a joint 21st / 50th birthday party!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I will love vicariously visiting these churches with you. What a great idea for a series of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visiting churches is one of my hobbies. I am looking forward to more in your series. . Mendelsham is listed at No 11 in the top 50 Suffolk churches on the Suffolk churches website. It also mentions the vicar as being one of the most energetic smoke and incense users the writer has encountered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link I put in above goes to the Suffolk Churches website and I think I shall be referring to it a lot!

      Delete
  16. I love visiting old churches. I can hardly wait to see more of the churches in Suffolk.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I spent a summer in France going to old churches. They fascinate me. So much depth and love put into the construction and they exist today. Living in the land of mega churches that look like convention centers doesn't put me in the mood to worship. A gothic church with a huge pipe organ and carved pews does. I look forward to your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the Willow's birth and your own birthday. I'm catching up on posts here. Love the idea of this series. I've visited England just once and am enthralled with all the old churches and the history behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are some really beautiful churches in Suffolk. I'm not a religious person but I enjoy visiting them as the buildings are just fantastic. I love looking for (not sure of the correct name) the statues and gargoyle like things attached to the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember Mendleshem. I think it was close to RAF Bentwaters where I was at years ago. I looked thru photos of Felixstowe and remember some of those buildings too. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete