Friday 28 May 2021

All Out of Library Books

My final 3 library books have all been read.......they were:-
 
Robert Harris - Munich.
Set over 5 days in 1938 and mixing fiction into fact. This tells the story of the meeting in Munich between Chamberlain and Hitler. Hitler is determined to start a war and Chamberlain wants peace. Two young men .....................Hugh Legat is one of Chamberlain's private secretaries and Paul Hartmann is a German diplomat and a member of the anti-Hitler resistance.........were friends at university and haven't met since their last visit to Munich 6 years before. Now they are going to meet again and have secrets that could prove disastrous. 

A good read and an easy way to learn about history while reading fiction

Judith Cutler - Green and Pleasant land.  This is an author I had read before but not lately. Newly retired ex-Chief Superintendent Fran Harman and her Husband Mark - also retired from the police force - are asked to assist a police force to look at an old un-resolved crime from twenty years ago. But no one seems willing to help or tell the truth. 

I found this a tad annoying but finished it.

Elly Griffiths -  The Night Hawks). The most recent  in the Dr Ruth Galloway series set on the bleak Norfolk coast and the fictional University of North Norfolk. As usual a really good story, which has jumped on a year or so since the last book and Ruth is now back at the University. The Night Hawks of the story are a group of metal-detectorists who for some reason that isn't really explained go out at night even though they are a legitimate group. When they find a body on the beach as well as a hoard of Bronze Age weapons Ruth is called in to look at the weapons while the police try to find out more about the body. This is followed up by an apparent murder-suicide in a remote farmhouse linked with Black Shuck - the local legend of a Big Hound.

It was a very quick read  - huge sized print and double spaced - as all her recent books have been, which always makes me thankful for libraries so I've not had to spend £20 on it! 
 
There are 9 reservations waiting for me to collect when the library van is round next Thursday and in between times I'm reading  a couple of my own, bought during my stays in holiday lets - just in case!
 
First a Jan Morris book all about her home in Wales for the many years before her death last year.

                                                          A Writer's House in Wales (National Geographic Directions)
 
And then I'll read this below described thus - Earthed: A Memoir, ‘A beautiful memoir of one small plot of land and one complex human mind’
    
 
 
                                                                         
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Among the 9 waiting for me are two by favourite authors - Jacqueline Winspear and Alys Clare. Good News indeed.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

13 comments:

  1. I just read Robert Harris "V2" via Libby (online library) Another brilliant WW2 story, about the devastating rocket-bombs. Again told from the point of view of a Brit and a German. I thought it was excellent, and as you say, a good way to learn history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that one a few weeks back and thought it really good

      Delete
    2. Now I think about it, I remember seeing it in your photo and that's why I put a reserve on it!

      Delete
  2. I've just finished the first Jacqueline Winspear and really enjoyed it. I will look out for the rest of the series now. I love it when you enjoy an author and have all their other books to look forward to.

    I'm waiting for the Night Hawks to come out in paperback.

    Some great books amongst your reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How good to be starting to read Jacqueline Winspear - you have a treat ahead

      Delete
  3. Your reading input is phenomenal Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a speedy reader and don't do much housework!

      Delete
  4. Well as I get Audible will try for 'Night hawks', they take a long time to narrate though. Sue you are always full of books to read, our own personal library lady ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy her books but feel a bit cheated at how quick they are to read now compared to the earlier in the series

      Delete
  5. I read Elly Griffiths book the Postcript Murders - not a Ruth Galloway one, and enjoyhed it immensely. I'm reading The Orphan Child by Stacy Halls at the moment, I like it because she bases her books on something historical in this case an orphanage in London. I always enjoy reading what books you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like books that are based on facts too makes it more interesting. I don't know that author

      Delete
  6. Just finished two Mary Lawson books - you might find them interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspired by your post I have just reserved the first Jacqueline Winspear from the library. Always on the lookout for good series.
    Thank you for sharing your reading with us.

    ReplyDelete