Wednesday 26 April 2017

Joined Up

I paid my money and joined the WI at this months meeting. Membership is now up to 12 ladies which my sister in law says is more than they've had for many, many years.

 This months speaker was from The Fishermen's Mission, a charity which helps fishermen in all sorts of ways. They can be there when a tragedy happens to support the family, for retired or injured men and immigrant fishermen too.
We were all shocked to hear just how many men are drowned or fatally injured at sea each year and many more are rescued and less seriously injured.
We had a bring and buy table to raise some much needed funds for the Mission and I bought a tiny rose bush which will be added to our rose garden. (never had a rose garden before! hope I can keep them alive)


As a member I got the Membership booklet which is full of vouchers with special offers - although I think the only one I might use is the one for free cup of coffee at Morrisons! The Suffolk East WI News has local group news and I think I will also get a national WI magazine too. I brought home a copy of The Fishermens Mission newsletter too.
Tasty cakes with coffee again - worth going just for the cake!

Back Tomorrow
Sue

15 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy the WI I plan to join our local one when Martin is here all the time, will free up time for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it's not too far away from your home on the mountains!

      Delete
  2. So pleased you had a good evening and joined, yes you will get a national magazine which is interesting. I have been a member for over 30 years, we only have 16 members but they have been great while I am recovering from open heart surgery.
    Enjoy the day.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall enjoy the meetings and getting to know people there

      Delete
  3. This is nice to hear, I have looked up the WI in Leiston and intend to join.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to smile when you said you'll only uses the free cup of coffee voucher~ they make such a deal over 'and you get this' but at the end of the day, the vouchers are only good if you can use them. Enjoy your membership!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were lots of vouchers for holidays and cruises....I wish! and several pages about charities asking for money in your will.

      Delete
  5. A big welcome from one WI member to another. Hope you enjoy future meetings. Sandra. Dorset Federation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our WI (Combe Down, Avon Federation) closed as no one was able to take over as secretary or treasurer - I have done both in the days when I had energy. However, the book group and Scrabble group are still going strong, also we've set up a bi-monthly lunch club, so am still seeing the "girls"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on joining your local WI. I live in a town but there are a couple of urban branches nearby and I am very tempted. I usually find these books of vouchers quite entertaining as they are never for things I would be buying. Enjoy your free coffee-our local store has coffee that's very drinkable! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy being a W I member...a was a few years ago but work has just sucked that little delight up for now. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roses love bananas!! Put some of an over ripe banana in the belender with a lot of water and whiz it and then pour the liquid on the ground around your rose and it will be so happy!! I always plant a rose with a whole banana in the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to be such a dolt, but I'm living in Virginia, USA. What is WI??

    ReplyDelete