Anyway, having decided last week that the strawberry bed we built in our first year here wasn't worth keeping I straight away set about getting rid.
The edges were made from the wood frame of the strange pointless pergola thing, that lurked at the end of the garden when we moved in ...... Here it is in April 2017
By July 2017 we'd done this with some of the wood. The new raspberry bed closest to camera and the strawberry bed beyond
From the bedroom window you can see how close the two beds(the raspberry cage frame also needs to come down- somehow- it's bolted, nailed and very fixed) are to the hedge and trees - a much too dry spot. Photo below from September 2018.
First I forked out all the half-dead strawberry plants then I was able to unscrew most of the wood frame and with a bit of levering with a spade removed all the wood. That's now on the heap to be cut up for firewood sometime.
Leaving a hump of soil.............
So job done. I can now run over it with the ride on mower and cut down whatever grows and eventually it will grass over - or I could buy a little grass seed.