Monday 8 November 2021

A Walk Around Lavenham

 Following my visit to Lavenham Church  here are a few more photos of the ancient town of Lavenham in South Suffolk.

Lavenham is often said to be one of the best examples of a medieval wool town. The wealth meant many fine houses were built in the 15C and early 16C. In the late 16th century Dutch refugees in Colchester began weaving a cheaper and more fashionable cloth and the woollen trade in Lavenham gradually came to a halt. There was no money for home improvements so houses remained un-modernised and the layout of the town hardly changed for 400 years.

Lavenham also isn't on any major roads and the rail link to Sudbury has long gone.So it was only when cars and coach tours became popular that people started to visit to photograph the history.

The much photographed Crooked House at 7 High Street no longer in use as an Art Gallery or a Tea Room

 

Homes in the main street leading up to the church ( avoiding the parked cars)

 And how they look  from the other side of the road with cars right out the front.

A row of  (probably) Almshouses opposite the church



Below is the famous Swan Hotel


The huge Guildhall  dominates one side of the market square. (The link goes to National Trust website)

Below is The Little Hall

Little Hall, built in the 1390s, was once home to the Causton family. Since then the house has changed a lot from being divided up to house six different families in the 1700s to being restored and used as a museum today.

 

Below is The Market Cross in the centre of the Market Square ( there was a family with children sitting on the steps on the other side so I had to go right round to take this photo which turned out to be in the shadows - making a terrible photo.)  
I found out about it HERE
Lavenham boasts a 16th century market cross. Market crosses were erected to indicate that an area had been designated as being a market square by a bishop, or a baron, or the monarch. Lavenham’s market cross is made of stone. A three stepped pyramid supports a slender column surmounted by a stone sphere


It wasn't too busy being  a chilly, on and off foggy morning in November when everything is closed but in the summer its heaving.

 

Here's the link to the Wiki page if you want to read more 

Back Tomorrow
Sue


 


31 comments:

  1. I love your historical blog posts Sur and I love a wonky house. We have one on the Quay where I live - I must look out a photo for you to see! It was built on purpose like that by a Sea Xaptain used to listing floors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has warped as the green timber dried - must be difficult to do anything in a room so crooked

      Delete
  2. Years ago we went and Paul said of the town it was like an extinct mammoth, the wealth had left it so quickly that in the following centuries it remained untouched. Beautiful today of course, a rich heritage of timber houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked a good day to go as it was nice and quiet - it's usually packed out

      Delete
  3. Very good photos Sue, I love the crooked house there is one in Windsor which always made me smile when I went there. Thank you for the memories that gave me.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  4. DB and DS went there when I was showing at a craft fair nearby, many years ago. Now I can see what they are on about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you now know what Lavenham looks like!

      Delete
  5. I had a jigsaw with the Swan Hotel on it when I was at scho. I always wanted to visit Lavenham (another thing on the Retirement Activities list?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fascinating buildings. I love the Crooked House. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the lovely photographs of this beautiful town. They've reminded me of a very happy weekend my late husband and I spent there.

    Amanda, Sussex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful architecture. I always feel Medieval houses look so fragile and yet look how long they have survived.

    There was a gorgeous example, still lived in, in Thame in Oxfordshire that I used to dream of buying (a pipe-dream I hasted to add), and then there's a National Trust owned building in Conwy that I visited many more times than would be deemed normal, just so I could soak up the atmosphere of the building. No I'll just re-drool over your photos ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a grade 2 listed timber framed 3 bed terrace for sale in the town for £595.000

      Delete
  9. I have enjoyed your two posts about Lavenham, I use to love visting there, some great geocaching trails, and having tea and cake in The Crooked House. Is it another victim of COVID I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read afterwards about it being a tea room in the past but it looks a bit empty now

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful town! the crooked house is fun.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing that it still strands after all this time really

      Delete
  11. I really enjoyed your tour Sue. What a taste of history and how beautiful it is - ruined of course by cars as the old villages here are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes always cars everywhere. Plenty of parking spaces in November but its really busy in summer

      Delete
  12. It sounds like now its main business is tourism? Like a museum village but with actual residents? Does it get busy with visitors?
    I enjoyed your photo tour, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many old villages rely on tourism. It has a population of about 1,700 I think. It gets very busy with visitors in summer

      Delete
  13. We enjoyed our stop off in Lavenham, but it wasn't too busy when we were there. Have you been to Saffron Walden...I think it's just as lovely, but much quieter. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting town! It's like stepping back in time to visit it. I enjoyed your pictures and descriptions of the town.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The architecture is amazing. Love the crooked house.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The street lined with timber framed houses are quite unique and the crooked house is unlike structure I've seen before. The structures built in 15-16C were built to last. These historic homes are very beautiful and to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a village that old, let alone in one of the houses. And that Crooked House would give me the heebie-jeebies every time I went past it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well...I've seen quite a bit of wonky in my time thanks to hubby and his fix it quick attitude but that house really is something else! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tour. I must admit I don't think I've ever been to Lavenham but it might be on my list next year just to see that wonderful crooked house. What a treat to see! (I am so easily pleased lol)

    ReplyDelete