Monday 22 November 2021

Tomatoes

 One of the reasons I got my seed order sorted last week was because when I went to buy the leaf rake from the local hardware place their seed stands had lots of empty spaces already and when I looked online at one of the seed companies the 'Sorry Sold Out' note came up on several varieties of many of the vegetable seeds.
It seemed a good idea to buy ready for sowing next spring sooner rather than later especially as I like to pick either things I've grown before or something completely new for a change.

Looking to choose which tomato seeds I wanted to grow this year reminded me that several years ago, when I wrote for the Suffolk Smallholders Newsletter I did some pieces about the things we were growing, looking at the history of where they'd originated and how to grow them. (The newsletter editor was always desperate for things to fill the pages because despite 200 families in the society hardly anyone got round to contributing, so anything I wrote was always included!)

Being a bit short of idea for blog posts I searched through my folder of "Diary From Fareacre" pages, which I've managed to keep through all the house moves and found my piece about tomatoes.............

A Closer Look at .........................................TOMATOES 

 Probably originally from western South America, but it was first cultivated in Mexico and other parts of Central America. It's likely the name 'tomato' derives from the Aztec 'xitomati', which means 'plump thing with a navel'. 
They reached Britain in the 1590s, but we are not really sure how they arrived or who brought them. It was mentioned in Gerard's Herbal, which was published in 1597. For centuries they were believed to be poisonous, and were only grown as ornamental plants. The fact that tomatoes were actually edible seems to have spread from Italy around the Mediterranean. By the early nineteenth century there were three colour forms, red, yellow and white, although they were still not eaten by the middle and working classes of the time.
 
In the seed catalogues tomatoes are usually labelled as Indeterminate or Determinate/Bush

Indeterminate tomatoes also known as Vine or Cordon tomatoes. The tall plants (up to 3m/10ft if left unstopped) keep growing and producing tomatoes over long period of time, until frost kills the vine. The plants require staking, tying and side shoot pinching (These are the small shoots that appear on the main stem adjoining a leaf stem)

Determinate tomatoes also known as Bush tomatoes. The plants are smaller (up to 90cm/3ft tall) and rather compact, with many side shoots which shouldn't be removed. They can be grown with or without support.

Tomatoes come in many different shapes and sizes....Cherry, Grape, Plum, Salad and  Beefsteak. 
There's now a Super Beefsteak where one tomato is so big it needs two hands to hold it and a tiny cherry with fruits the size of a red-currant .....and everything in between.
 
Most seed catalogues and seed packets will give information to explain the best places to grow each different type. There are those that will do best in a greenhouse or polytunnel, some specially bred for outdoor growing and a few which can cope in or out and now more are being bred for disease resistance especially for blight which has become a problem in recent years in this country with changing weather conditions. Tomatoes grown outside need a sunny sheltered position with protection from winds.

Tomato seed can be started as early as late January if they are for indoor growing but they will need keeping somewhere frost-free and light during spells of cold weather in March and April. For outdoor growing, seeds should be sown about 6 weeks before the date of the last possible frost. They are easy to germinate given a little warmth and actually seem to prefer to be pricked out from a seed tray to a small pot and then transplanted into a 3 or 4 inch pot before being transplanted to their final growing position.
 
Tomatoes are hungry plants and need good soil and compost and regular feeding at least once a week as soon as the first truss has set. The special tomato grow bags sometimes don't contain enough compost to last the life of the plant, so if possible use the compost in bigger pots with room to add water and plant food.
Inside or outside they need regular watering as irregular watering can cause Blossom End Rot - when a brown patch appears at the bottom of the tomatoes and spreads upwards. Although they need watering at the roots they prefer dry air around the plants, so don't use a sprinkler or water the leaves.

That was most of my bit about tomatoes apart from going on to say what we were planning to grow in that particular year (2007) which were Sungold, Shirley and San Marzano. 
This year I won't be raising the 40+ plants we needed for the poly-tunnels back then- I think half a dozen with a couple started later will do. I searched through the two seed catalogues that had arrived by post to decide what to buy this year  - only plum tomatoes now as they have less seeds = better for my stomach! and they are so much better for chutney. 
A few years ago I came across news of a white variety which were supposed to be less acidic, and better for some people who find tomatoes aggravate arthritis but they've never appeared anywhere (that I've seen) since. 
Anyway two types of Plum tomato seed were ordered for 2022  - Sun Grape - small one-bite and delicious. Plus Super Mama -big and  easily skinned for my Red Hot Relish.
Then I was fiddling about on other online seed companies and came across Thompson and Morgan with a packet of seeds called Artisan Mixed and they had free postage on Sunday and arrived a few days later..
Seems I'm now growing 3 different varieties after all!
 

 


Back Tomorrow
Sue

26 comments:

  1. Tomatos don't grow well for my north facing garden I should try them in the conservatory next year but the shelves are very narrow, will have to give it some thought. I love sungold the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought three plants for 50p each from someone in the village, and they did well. I've diligently saved the seeds. Will they grow, or should I invest in a packet from T&M instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should be OK unless the plants were from F1 seed then they don't come true from seed

      Delete
  3. A bit like a lucky dip, not knowing what you've got until you get it!
    I like that.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already know I will grow too many! Especially if I want to get all the different colours

      Delete
  4. Try the Real Seed Company for a brilliant choice of tried and TESTED seeds. They sell a Peche Vilmorin which has a hollow cavity - ideal for stuffing - and perhaps suitable for you? https://www.realseeds.co.uk/tomatoes_vines_big.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is they are tried and tested in Wales and when i tried them many years ago didn't have much luck over here in dry Suffolk

      Delete
  5. Our tomatoes didn't do very well this year. We'll try again but it looks like we need to get the seed pretty quickly before it's all gone. Sungold are my favourite, sweet and not too acidic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like Sungold but now stick to plum types as they have so few seeds

      Delete
  6. Great post, I love tomatoes, now I'm craving them! Have a great week, take care, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very comprehensive account of seeds and growing, must have taken you a while to do that. I have thought about returning to veg growing but I don't want to be tied to the garden for the whole of the summer, watering and removing slugs and snails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly just copied from something I wrote in 2007 - seems a lifetime ago and a different world - before Cancer.

      Delete
  8. Interesting post I love Tomatoes but have not grown them for sometime I know people in the village are usually have them for sell maybe I will have another go at them.
    Hazel ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've managed to grow some most years except 2021 so must get back to it in 2022

      Delete
  9. A very informative post m'dear, tomatoes I love especially picked fresh and straight into my mouth. I now only have the smallest of gardens (which still resembles a building site rather than the paradise I yearn) but hopefully once my collar bone has healed I shall make progress on it and next year be in a position to think about shoe horning some fruit and veg in to it.

    Regards John,

    https://suburbanwildgarden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John Good to see you back in the Land Of Blog. I've added you to my reading list so you had better keep blogging now!
      Love that book on your post

      Delete
  10. I think next year will see me with my smallest crop of homegrown tomatoes for the last 10 or more years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know I will grow too many plants! but being in the village means I can easily put them out the front for anyone to help themselves

      Delete
  11. So much good information. Sadly our growing season is so short here in northern NH and my garden so small I buy my established plants in the spring I start nothing from seed. I planted garlic for the first time this fall as it winter's over and you harvest in the spring.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a little electric propagator for starting my seeds, but won't be doing them too early next year

      Delete
  12. I only grow about 6 Sungold plants because Geoff Hamilton once wrote they were best, and I agree. Pity they are F1 so you have to buy seeds. I don't start too soon though because they get out of control and don't seem to fruit any earlier, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sungold always sold well but now I prefer mini plum tomatoes for myself

      Delete
  13. Fresh tomatoes picked from the backyard garden are wonderful. Sadly, I've failed miserably growing tomatoes. Wildlife and blight have been the problem. Regarding seeds, a brick mason rebuilt my home chimneys and he grew excellent tomatoes. He gave me bags of outstanding tomatoes. I asked him how he managed his growing. He said: collect seeds from tomatoes you especially like, dry them out on a sunny window shelf, wrap them in paper towels and freeze them. Lastly, plant the seeds inside in the spring and when they grow to 6-8 inches tall, plant them outside. The seeds grew very well inside. Outside blight took over. If there is going to be seed shortages, this seed collection and plant starting system works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought my daughter some seeds for the giant tomatoes you have grown. They did not do particularly well, probably not more than covering the costs of the rather expensive seeds. She is going to attempt to grow them from her own seeds this year. Do you ever grow from your own seeds, or do you not find them very successful?
    Karen

    ReplyDelete