Monday 15 November 2021

The Weekend and Another Pear Tree

 The weather was a bit dreary on Saturday and I decided to head out early so I could visit some garden centres and nurseries for another pot grown pear tree and call in at a Christmas Bazaar too. Both the nearest places don't have fruit trees at all, another only has open ground trees and isn't lifting them yet but I got one in the end, a Doyenne De Comice  - and hopefully the   right pollinator group to go with the car-boot Conference tree.  The new tree is a couple of years older and taller so it was rather more expensive!  
(although when I got home and looked at the Ken Muir book on growing fruit they are in neighbouring groups rather than the same - but should still be OK, perhaps I need one more pear tree just to be sure πŸ˜‹)
 
At home I found the new compost bin sitting outside the front door so I moved it round the back and forked everything from the old dalek-bin into the new one -it doesn't look much like "crumbly friable compost" yet!
 I started to dig a hole for planting the pear tree but just kept hitting tree roots - probably from the flowering cherry - then it started raining, so I'll have to try again in a slightly different spot during the week.
 
The Christmas Bazaar had lots of stalls but after looking around them all nothing was bought. I felt a bit guilty because there were so many crafts (jewellery, knitting, Christmas tree decorations, jams, wood turning etc etc) and people work so hard to make things but I'm just no good at buying things I don't need! 

Saturday and Sunday afternoons were all about watching Rugby on TV  and reading - all library books now finished. The mobile's round again on Thursday - eight books waiting (so far) for me to collect. I need something off my shelves to fill 3 evenings reading - although Monday is quizzy TV night and Tuesday is WI so maybe I'll just hang on until Thursday because 7 out of the 8 are crime fiction including the new books by Richard Osman and Donna Leon. Like I said on my Friday post - never short of crime to read nowadays!

There's a lovely list of things to do this week - Making pastry cases and Naan breads, writing letters for overseas Christmas cards and planting the pear tree. Also need to find out the dimensions of water butts and the stands they sit on so I can lay a slab each side of the greenhouse to collect the run-off.  I was going to see my nearest grandchildren who I've not seen since they all went to Surrey, but the whole family have been poorly with the really nasty colds that are doing the rounds. Perhaps it was a good thing I didn't feel up to the trip.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

21 comments:

  1. Gosh, you'll have pears coming out of your ears when 3 pear trees become established! The one we had at our old house was from a supermarket offer, and NOT on a dwarf rootstock and by the time we left, we were inundated with pears which all ripened at the same time! At least with apples you can store them. I had tried bottling fruit down the years but when I couldn't get into the last efforts without a pickaxe, I gave up!

    I have started the week with emptying and scrubbing the bathroom as the Plumber is finally arriving today, and so is the Man to install our new boiler, so the kitchen is awash with piles of bathroom tiles and the ironing mountain!

    I had to buy a pack of Xmas cards this week as Lord knows where the ones I packed to move are. I dare say they'll turn up one year . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you're right,I think 2 will be enough although there isn't room for them to grow huge so I'll have to prune bits off once they get going. Another apple will be more useful. I thought about a plum but they are so plagued by wasps and plum moth so gone off that idea.

      Delete
  2. That bothers me about craft fairs too - I always feel guilty when I walk past and don't buy anything. All that creativity and hard work and I feel I'm rejecting it.
    My fruit trees haven't arrived yet. It's about time they did, I think.
    xx
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's been so mild that trees haven't lost leaves yet for being able to send. My Minarette are due after end November

      Delete
    2. That could be so, yes. My little columnar apple still has all its leaves which are still quite green although they are just starting to turn now.
      xx

      Delete
  3. You have certainly been busy and hope you get the tree in.
    I went to a fair last week and I am like you lots if nice things, I did buy a WEst Ham mug to put with my GS present.p
    It's very misty here this morning. I have singing this today and I shall have to have my flu jab this afternoon.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so bad not buying anything but there was nothing I needed

      Delete
  4. We have a concorde which I think is a comice-conference cross. It's been brilliant. The comice and conference we put in at the same time only lasted about 10 years before canker got them - we are at 750 feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably about 20 feet above sea level! We had varying success with pear trees in our two previous gardens - it will be interesting to see what happens

      Delete
  5. I have to feel even guiltier. When I go to craft fairs, I go to get ideas for things I can make myself. Stealing the creativity of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that but my crafting mojo is lacking at the moment!

      Delete
  6. I am trying to be very selective in things I buy I need nothing. You have been reading a lot besides planting you do keep busy.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some pretty things but I don't wear jewellery and don't need ornaments.
      I read quite quickly which is handy and like to keep as busy as I can

      Delete
  7. I love Comice Pears - perhaps you do ned another pear tree to be on the safe side. It is so disappointing to buy trees to bear fruit and then find you haven;t got the right combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might end up with too many pears as Jennie says and there isn't a lot of room for many trees really

      Delete
  8. We're going to a big Christmas craft fair on Friday, I'm sure I'll find something to buy! I'm not very keen on Richard Osman on the TV, so haven't had the urge to read his first book....is it worth reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good as long as you don't take it too seriously and suspend reality with the police procedure

      Delete
  9. I know what you mean about craft fairs. I went to one at the local school and only bought a few ornaments. Nothing else was of interest or need. Just finished the second Richard Osman book and really enjoyed it. Didn't know it was being televised but maybe that's only in UK. Definitely a sequel to come with the way it ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it was being televised either. I shall investigate

      Delete
  10. Your new pear tree sounds great. I plant trees and shrubs regularly and have to use a pick axe to dig the holes. New England is rocky so the pick axe is best for removing rocks and roots to achieve a good hole for a new plant. Due to the poor soil, I have to bring in compost and soil as well. The Christmas decor in your shops sounds lovely. After agreeing not to buy decorative items, I bought a crystal snowman. He sparkles in the light and now looks very festive on my kitchen table. Needless to say, I love Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too late now but there are a few self pollinating pear trees. My friend had one in her yard and it produced far more fruit than she could use though it was only maybe 12 feet tall. [she took it out bec the fallen fruit drew masses of bees and wasps, plus her dogs ate the fermented fruits with very unpleasant results.]

    ReplyDelete