Tuesday 23 November 2021

The Raspberry Bed + This and That

 Another job has been done in the garden, thanks to a lot of help from my BiL. He's still wanting to keep busy after a year of retirement, mostly mending things  like cars and lawnmowers and other bits of machinery but he doesn't mind a bit of gardening. 
The wood surround are re-used from the shuttering for the concrete greenhouse base. He is going to see what he can find for a post at each end ready for attaching the wire to hold up the raspberry canes. The two other photos are how I'm filling up the garden with productive things.......
My new pear trees, on the left
The nasty plastic edging around the lawn has gone and  the 3 new vegetable beds, with bags of compost laying on the top of them ready to be spread next spring are over on the far side by the fence. On the patio by the trellis is where the 3 Minarette apple trees will go.

.......compared to how it was before, when it was just grass. Probably a lot of people would prefer it how it was!
 
I need to apologise for not replying to comments promptly. I often turn off the lap top early especially if there's plenty of good reading waiting. I don't have a thing set up on my phone to tell me when a comment arrives either  - wouldn't want that.
On Saturday I missed seeing that Joan hadn't understood about the connection between singing and covid (it's all about the breathing out!) so didn't get to reply properly until Sunday... ...a bit late..

This photo has been on my phone for a month - the Mobile Library has been wrapped! I thought painted because it was white before and without the colourful panel but the library lady said it's a sort of plastic wrapping that stuck on by heat. There's no chance of it hiding now!


Hopefully this means that their idea of getting rid of the large van and swapping to something half the size that just delivers books has been dropped.

 A couple more  photos..........Living opposite the graveyard I don't see many signs of life! but watched two blokes setting up a grave stone  last week. The tree in glorious yellow leaf is now completely bare after just a week - the windy weather and drop in temperature soon made them all fall.



 Does anyone else watch Countryfile on Sunday evenings and shout at the TV "Let them stand still while they're talking!" I do.

I also watch Doctor Who and go "?" except for this latest series when it's been more like "????" 

I went mad on Sunday and popped over to the last Sunday Market/CarBoot Sale at Woolpit, it was freezing and hardly anyone selling but I found some more old flowerpots for my plant stand to replace the one that was too big ( it tipped the plant stand forward after a particularly wet day) and for the succulent that's still in a plastic pot.

From the Christmas Fair on Saturday I found a concrete frog. I had one like this but it got left somewhere and I've been looking for one all summer. So my next job here will be to dig a mini pond so he can sit beside it. My tiny pond at the cottage attracted frogs most years, although here I'm surrounded by fences so not sure they will find a way in.  I need to make a frog and hedgehog tunnel somewhere.

Bit of a muddle of a post  and definitely This and That.

Back Tomorrow
Sue





30 comments:

  1. No car boots round here - our nearest is Llandod and that ended in September. The Madley one is in a field and I should think is off to the spring now - that's about a 60 mile round trip though, so not exactly "local" but then, NOTHING is local in Wales! Glad you found some bits you needed and the little frog to cheer you up. I hope you get wildlife in your garden and a small pond would at least encourage dragonflies etc - though I would hope frogs would use it too.

    Glad to see they are not downsizing the library van.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car boots everywhere here are now finished until Spring. The one I went to is a couple of miles further than my usual drive.

      Delete
  2. Good Lord! Frogs!! We saw foxes in the garden of friends when we stayed with them in Camden in London, and again in the garden of others in Bristol, but frogs! Hedgehogs I almost understand - I think they deal with lots of garden slugs and slaters... but what do frogs do, beside make a din?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frogs here are small and quiet and they eat slugs too and other nasty things. Very good for the garden, as are hedgehogs. Hedgehogs are getting very rare.

      Delete
    2. Frogs are such an important part of your local ecology! They help keep nasties like mosquitoes under control, as well as other creepy crawlies. Especially important here in Australia where mozzies carry some nasty illnesses (a couple of which you really, really don't want to get!)
      Our daughter has a pet green tree frog and he has a ridiculously loud voice, which he insists on using in the middle of the night. Love it!

      Delete
  3. Garden good, neat garden better, productive garden best by far! :-)

    Actually, this series of Doctor Who is making a whole lot of sense and much less ???? than over several of the past series - for me, anyway. I'm enjoying it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people who lived here got the garden done to sell but I'm wanting to eat!

      Delete
  4. So pleased your BinL helps in the garden my brothers are to far away to help me. Glad you got some more pots a lot of mine where left when I moved I did have a lot of planters in the hew garden they have been useful.
    You have still a lot of colour in your garden which is nice, managed to get the rest of the bulbs in and cut a lot of leaves of the Hellebores.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He;s a good help but always so busy so I don't ask too often

      Delete
  5. Garden is coming along very nicely.
    Our kids know people who went to school with Jodie Whittaker. She is from the place that round here we call "Shat" (Skelmanthorpe). Perfect casting. She was ???!!! even then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to eat from the garden next year for sure

      Delete
  6. Gardens are muddle subjects, a bit here and there. I love how you are creating a space for you, who needs a huge lawn, you can't eat grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like having less grass to cut - don't need enough for football!

      Delete
  7. Once the old owners leave and the new ones take over all bets are off in regards to how the garden will be treated. You’re definitely making your own mark on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder what people did to the smallholding after we left

      Delete
  8. I have a very similar frog! In summer he lives by a hosta pot but sadly does nothing to keep away the slugs :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tis nice to see the changes your making in the garden, it should be a place to enjoy and find peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A place to produce things to eat is my plan - although not quite like a 5 acre smallholding!

      Delete
    2. A 5 acre holding would be great....but age, time and money seem high obstacle's for moi to overcome these days...can't even sort my own postage stamp garden out yet! Hoping to grow some toms, spud buckets and strawberry next year.

      Delete
  10. Good that you are making your garden your own. If you enjoy the work of a garden, then it is good for you to have one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the work in the garden especially if it involves growing things to eat

      Delete
  11. I love that frog! My neighbours have a raised pond and I have to watch out for baby frogs when mowing my lawn. No such problem at this time of year but I do have a regular frog, croaking away from my fern border. Occasionally catch sight of him, but Always stop to listen to the croaking. AND . . even though neighbour has built a new, solid fence, I was so chuffed to see a hedgehog in my garden a couple of weeks ago. My dog was barking at it so I resorted to putting him on a lead for his late night ablutions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to see how deep I can dig and then put in a big plastic thing(without holes!) and surround it all with stones. I reckon less than 2 feet across should be about all I'll manage

      Delete
  12. Your garden looks great and it will also provide for you come Spring and Summer. The library van looks welcoming and hopefully the update means it will be around for a good bit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this and that posts Sue and am always staggered by how much work you get through and what good ideas you have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I much prefer a garden that is both beautiful and productive which is what yours will be. I love the idea of a frog pond, but that would mean I would have to be constantly on the look out for the snakes it would attract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snakes to worry about in gardens in England

      Delete
  15. Your garden looks outstanding and it will produce lots of home grown, tasty fruit and veg. Water definitely attracts frogs so your mini pond should work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although the garden does look nice with a nice flat lawn, you know me I much prefer a productive garden, so what you're doing has my full approval ;-)

    ReplyDelete