Saturday 6 November 2021

First Weekend of November

Life at the bungalow this week................

Last Saturday  I noticed the Rugby Union Autumn Internationals 🏉 were on Amazon Prime at weekends through November. Then...Yippe dippee do ...Tennis 🎾 was on there too this week. I was having a couple of months of paying for Prime for the free delivery around Christmas so very good timing.The only problem being that every time I watched a Brit playing in Paris......they lost!.

 I put my candlelit Pumpkin 🎃 out last Sunday as it got dark and the children next door were the first round then about 30 more, usually with parents. When the sweets ran out, the pumpkin came in and no one else knocked. I've no idea what the children thought as I opened the door wearing the witches hat  and asking"who's that knocking on the witches door!" and waving my broom stick at them before doling out the sweets and wishing them a fun evening.

Visitors can now use the toilet🚽 in the bathroom without having to sing! because weeks ago I tried to fit a bolt to the bathroom door but couldn't because of the shape of the architrave, so I got a hook and eye closure then  got in a muddle with the screws not going in far enough. BiL was having a quiet week so came to the rescue and sorted it and also brought a stake for the pear tree. It was lunch time so I "had" to treat him to Pensioner discount Fish and Chips again !

 On a foggy and chilly morning I had a trip out for church visits for the blog. On the way home I stopped at the Corn Crafts shop where I went last year when looking for a corn dolly. Last year I found some things for Christmas gifts, this year..........nothing found and nothing needed and I didn't even stay for coffee and cake 😇 

Having decided to make the glace/jewel  Christmas cakes  for the hampers, I started to wonder what I can put them in to gift. I trailed around all possible shops in Stowmarket looking for an empty, small Christmas cake sized tin with no luck. I looked online with no luck (except for between £7 and £28 each - much too much). So looks like a new plan will be needed - a cake board, foil and cellophane maybe or foil and a cardboard cake box. I'll work it out.
 
 
 Purple Alstromeria are my flowers on the table (window-sill)  this week  because I went to Aldi where they are cheap enough for me not to think twice. (So much for my flowers every week plan when I downsized. The price of a big bunch makes me gulp and decide I'd rather spend on a book!)

 

This week I'm grateful for

  • Making a decision that was right for me
  • Really good library books 
  • Watching some new-to-me people playing tennis 
  • Some sunny days for garden clearing

Hope you all have a good weekend wherever and what ever you are up to. I know the things I'm Not doing but not so sure about what I am doing but I will be back Monday all being well.

Sue



48 comments:

  1. I love alstromeria and find they usually last at least two weeks. I resolved in fresh flowers when I retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These purple small flowered are quite unusual and pretty

      Delete
  2. Jamie is still in doubles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed seeing him this morning - but seems they still lost anyway

      Delete
  3. Sometimes thrift stores have lovely Christmas tins this time of year or perhaps a dollar store. Not sure if you have dollar stores or I guess it would be £ stores, in England. I'm sure you'll find something nice. Enjoy your weekend. Kind regards, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. That all sounds so positive. I have pictures to hang and as Tam was doing a Wilko order this week, got her to get me some slightly bigger picture hangers than the ones I had. Think of me up the bigger of the two stepladders!

    I don't know if this is any help in wrapping baked goods - mainly for the base as I'm sure you are capable of wrapping in cellophane and a ribbon! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icu7GlLco74

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I love watching rugby. I might look for some later. Have a lovely Saturday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Several matches on Amazon prime today

      Delete
  6. Daughter K has made mini Christmas cakes for the last couple of years for my Dad, my Mother in Law and my Sister and she just wraps a sturdy square of cardboard in foil for it to sit on and then cellophane and ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have gifted Christmas cakes on a slate and then cellophane wrapped before. Did the job! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alstromerias are lovely and when Aldi has the,. tjhey are such great valie, aren't they. As you say, no need to even think.

    Could you make little card open topped boxes that would be the right size for your cakes, cover the box with foil and then pop that in some cellophane with a pretty ribbon to tie it up?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a huge bunch of flowers but then I think about books!

      Delete
  9. My husband thanks you for the rugby information. You've made him a happy bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you get your cakes sorted I know the £ shop had some nice boxes in the craft section a few weeks ago. I am going to a craft fair tomorrow so I hope to get some ideas, my GD is having a stall there she makes unusual dog biscuits.
    Have a nice weekend Sue.
    🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find some nice things at the craft fair

      Delete
  11. I watch most of my television through my Amazon Firestick so Prime is a must for me and of course the free delivery makes it so easy to get new books ;-)

    I bet BiL will be offering to do jobs every Friday if he gets a fish and chip lunch, well I would if I were him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He shouldn't really eat fish and chips at all - not good for him

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. There was a change of plan for me this weekend.

      Delete
  13. Have you tried W & M Smith in Mendlesham Green. They carry a lot of items for crafting and baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that shop - must go and have a look at their Christmas room

      Delete
  14. I like your Christmas hampers idea and may have to resort to that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sue you are a great asset to your village and I hope everyone acknowledfes it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your gratitude lists. I never read them but I stop to ponder my own list of happies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me stop and think for a few minutes each week

      Delete
  17. Your flowers in a vase, especially as the weather gets cold, decorate and add good cheer to the room. Your hampers are coming together nicely and it seems there are many custom options for packaging the cake. Your witch costume sounds fabulous. Costumes do make all the fun of Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children who came to the door were very well dressed compared to my hat and broom

      Delete
  18. I can't believe how quickly this year has flown by! I hope to pop into a resale shop today and see if I can find more Christmas gifts! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how the days fly by. Hope you find some useful things

      Delete
  19. It's nice that your brother-in-law can help out when needed. I'm sure he also enjoyed sharing a meal with you! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't mind helping now and again but I try not to ask too often as he's always busy repairing things for other people

      Delete
  20. Have a nice week! It's spring here and we've had a few rainstorms over the last few weeks so I managed to pick some sweet peas and a couple of blooms off my one old fashioned rose and the smell is glorious.We're over the wind but here in Australia we always have to be grateful for rain before summer comes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get plenty more rain before the summer heat,
      Flowers in my garden have nearly finished until early next year when some Hellebores will give a bit of colour

      Delete
  21. What lovely flowers to brighten up your day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What lovely flowers! I love the thought of you opening your door with your witch's hat. Makes me smile. I must admit that this year I'm struggling with the holidays. I'm sure it will get easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and waving my witches broomstick. I hope I didn't frighten the smallest children!

      I've found the last weeks difficult - grief is a strange thing even after 3 and a half years

      Delete
  23. My daughter and I went to Red Mitten bazaar this afternoon after her haircut. We found some homemade items for gifts. Not expensive and so good to support local people who made them. I may go back in a few weeks as there are a few items I'd like to buy for a few people who have birthdays coming up early 2022. It rained off and on. Glad there is more water in local rivers now. I like making cinnamon rolls for gifts as well. I did that last year for pastors at church and people who helped us out as well. Astromerias looks so nice! Right now I have fake fall flowers I got at a dinner a few years ago! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a Christmas Bazaar in my diary for next week - and one or two more later

      Delete
  24. I always look out for cheap cutting boards for gifting cakes or biscuits, and I like to wrap the whole thing in a nice tea towel (0ver the cellophane). Tea towels are often on sale here, I even bought some Christmas-themed last week. The lady in the shop told me that they don´t sell many of them now that everybody has a dishwasher.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete