Saturday 12 February 2022

A Good Weather Week and a Snowdrop Surprise

 Still no sign of winter here in Suffolk and several days have been better than forecast with more sun than the previous weeks and only a couple of frosty nights.
  And good weather made for a good week for me with my adventure into Cambridgeshire and some gardening done (and don't anyone dare say there's no such thing as bad weather, in my opinion any day that the sun doesn't shine in winter is Bad Weather!)

The Snowdrop Surprise was yesterday when there was a knock at the door and there stood a lady with a huge bag of Snowdrops in-the-green. I was so surprised and babbled a thank you. The lady is Jan, a blog reader and she must have worked out which village I live in and as she had lots of snowdrops she had very kindly brought me a bagful.
Look at these......absolutely beautiful and so many! Thank you so much Jan.
Straightaway I went out and dug some slots in the bit of lawn that's not going to be cut so often under the pear trees. I also put some out on the front lawn . The Anglesey Abbey snowdrops have been planted in bare soil in various places in the borders so between those and these new ones I should have a good show next year.
Blog readers are so kind.


Last Monday I'd  planned to go back to the WI that I used to go to but after reading the parish magazine for that village while I was visiting Brother-in-Law, and discovering the subject was Yoga my re-starting has been put off until March. I know I said that sometimes the subject is better than it sounds but honestly Yoga is something I can do without!

The bargain offer of patio/greenhouse portable bed with onion and shallot sets arrived. The bed's been fied with some rotted down turf that came off the new veg beds, then a piece of cardboard to discourage any of the roots to re-shoot and a bag of multi purpose compost on top. Onions don't need a lot of depth but another bag of compost might be needed on top before planting in March

The bed is a bit floppy so I've pushed one of the strawberry pots up against it to hold up the side. . 
I emptied another bag of multi-purpose compost onto one of the vegetable beds and tried to rake everything level.Then covered it with the plastic cloche tunnel - should help it warm up a bit. The other two beds need weeding and compost added to prepare them.
 
 Haven't had flowers on the table for weeks until I was in Aldi and saw these bunches of mixed tulips. Lovely colours - a late winter treat.
A Marshalls gardening catalogue arrived during the week and I'm debating about trying Alstromeria plants for the 99th time since leaving the smallholding or give up and just buy a bunch now and again. I think I will be tempted to buy some Osteospermum plants as the ones that the previous owners had planted last spring put on a wonderful show for months out in the front garden.  (BTW the snowdrops in-the-green for sale in the flower catalogue were even more expensive than those from Anglesey Abbey!)

This week I have been grateful for

  • A surprise gift of snowdrops
  • Watching Winter Olympics on TV
  • Letters from penfriends in Canada and a Windy Scottish Island.
  • Feeling better about driving further
  • Good weather for gardening
Have a Good Weekend where ever you are
I shall be back Monday with my February library book haul
Sue

30 comments:

  1. Aren't blogfriends wonderful? They bring such unexpected joy! Your snowdrops are lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely surprise, especially as I've not mentioned which village I live in

      Delete
  2. Isn't it lovely when bloggy friends do something out of the blue. When I mentioned that I find January difficult two fellow bloggers, one in France and on in California, sent cards. Your snowdrops will make you smile and remind you of Jan's kindness every year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, thought your bag was a cardboard box. Was going to recommend wrapping it with tape to firm it up, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's made of the same sort of stuff as a builders bag, should last several years I hope

      Delete
  4. Sue I do agree about Osteospermum - I had a plant in my side garden the year before last. This was lovely and in early Spring last year I got my gardener to split it into four and plant it at intervals in my long border. It has flowered from July onwards and is still producing the odd flower or two - it has been a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know if the ones here were annuals or perennials but I've never had much luck with the perennials anyway so probably best to just have annuals

      Delete
  5. What a lovely surprise with your Snowdrops in the green - and they are going to look so beautiful once they establish and spread - pretty enough now.

    Good luck with your onions. I could never grow them at Ynyswen, but we have rather poor very acid soils here and I suspect it will be the same in this plot too.

    I don't blame you for the treat of the Tulips. I was looking at some pretty bouquets of flowers in Co-op but the prices were eye-watering. It reminded me to get some seed for Stocks though so I can pick from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snowdrops are very tall and well grown so hopefully strong enough to spread - Fingers crossed.
      I still have trouble spending money on bunches of flowers but they are such a cheer-up - should do it more often

      Delete
  6. Such a wonderful gift and so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was so surprised and very pleased and thankful

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely thing to do for a blog friend. have a great week
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's wonderful about the snowdrops - Jan is awesome! And those Aldi flowers look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very kind lady to search me out with the snowdrops

      Delete
  9. Your snowdrops from Jan are lovely. Your collection has tripled; all will multiply and provide great viewing pleasure every Spring. Gifting plants is a very nice gesture and when plants are abundant why not share. I'm enjoying reading about your planting and composting jobs as I look outside at 4 inches of solid snow cover everywhere. My garden sleeps on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still could get snow but as time goes on it gets less likely that there will be.
      The sun gets my gardening mojo working again -thank goodness

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. It certainly was. Much more chance of these spreading now

      Delete
  11. I bought some tulips this week too as my yard is still buried in snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have snow but no flowers in the garden either

      Delete
  12. This has been a wonderful week. It's not even a bd wntr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have had rather a lot of snow where you are - the UK would come to a complete standstill

      Delete
  13. I suspect I have never seen snowdrops before! They are lovely. I have a very unruly garden and have been worried that it is getting confused by the weather - 62 degrees yesterday and several inches of snow today! I hope no shoots decide to come up early.

    Massachusetts got its first Aldis a few years ago. The closest one is a good half hour drive but I do enjoy going there. Part of the appeal is not knowing exactly what I will find!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Snowdrop flowers look so pretty! I am happy a blogger friend figured out where you live and gave them to you! Tulips you got are lovely! I had a friend send me a pot with various tulip bulbs in it for my birthday. It appeared on Saturday and my daughter got them out of the box as she wasn't sure what flowers were in there. I saw them today when I got home from the coast for a leadership retreat. Car pooled due to limited parking. Enjoy!! Have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah how lovely to get some snowdrops! I love the tulips here too. I can't wait for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some lovely Snowdrops now, aren't blog readers just a lovely lot (and bloggers too of course) you'll have lots in the next few years as they multiply and spread.

    ReplyDelete