Monday 28 February 2022

February, Forward Planning and Food

I've kept detailed accounts of spending for many, many, years. (Can even tell you how much I spend on fresh fruit and veg each month for instance!) Now and again I think about stopping but then remember how handy it is to look back to previous years to see what was spent or to see whats coming up. That's how I know March and April are two Very Expensive months. Car service and MOT for one thing and already the water bill has arrived. It will have to be paid as I intended to get all the water butts installed  for garden watering before getting a water meter but haven't got that organised yet. The sewage bill and the Council Tax bill will turn up in March and my TV Licence is due in April.

Anyway, looking back..............................

All the usual expenses though the month.......... 4 weekly electric bill, 2 x diesel for the car, charity donation, phone bills. Extra expense were the visit to Anglesey Abbey and snowdrops plus the apple tree, compost and then plants from the catalogue. I bought shoes and batteries and postage stamps and then a new standard lamp for reading after the one that we'd had for years, gradually getting wobblier, finally fell apart. The window cleaner came and then all the usual small bits and bobs needed to run a home  - and that great big lump of £338  for heating oil.

And mentioning postage stamps reminds me that a penfriend told me that from January 2023 we are not going to be able to use any postage stamps that we still have as they are changing to bar coded stamps during this year and 31st December is the last date to use any without a bar code. It seems the Post Office might operate a swap system for a while but there will be no point stockpiling stamps before price increases anymore............. the bar code will know!

Sometimes I seem to spend too much on food and I'd like to spend less. Not because I have to...........like back in the 80's and 90's  when we had 3 children, big mortgage and one very average income............... but I'd like not to have to use more of the savings (that I'm thankful to have because of downsizing) and from much experience I know that food spending is one of those things that can be managed (unlike expenses such as the Council Tax where there is no option)

This is a shortened look at my account for February Food which was a good month as I'm still using things that were in the freezer from before Christmas (luckily I didn't have to abandon many things after the electric being off for 24 hours, - annoying but not too costly)

1st Feb Aldi                   £ 22.00
            Morrisons           £  3.80
10th      Aldi                   £  6.57
            Asda                   £11.50
                                       £43.87 
Village Shop                  £  2.49
            Aldi                    £  3.80 
                                        50. 16
Village shop                      1. 49
Eggs from stall                  1.00
24th Aldi                         19.20
                                        71.85
 
and that included fruit for making chutney(a post for next week) and as I was in Aldi at the end of the month I bought a new big tub of peanut butter while it was there and 3 x 2 pints of milk to restock the freezer.    Outside of home made I had coffee and scone at Anglesey Abbey, 1 Pensioners fish and chips, a breakfast bacon roll and coffee at Morrisons when the electric was off and a coffee and sausage roll at an event I went to last week which I'll write about  soon.
                                                                 
The main meals I ate with the food bought in my Aldi/Morrisons comparison shop at the start of the month and items from the freezer and cupboards were........................

Home made quiche x 4 with various accompaniments
2 x Stir fry vegetables plus noodles with Chinese party food from freezer (2 each of mini veg spring rolls, prawn toasts and tempura prawns) 
imageOfProduct id = 382487011
 Love these but they don't stock them all the time
 
3 x Warm pasta salad with sardines, toms, cuc,olives,peas or with feta etc.
2 x 2 Cheese and onion "saus" rolls with veg
Roast Chicken Thigh Joints with veg  and then again with salad
Nut burger in bun with salad
Pensioners Discount Fish and chips
2 x Corned Beef with veg and then again with salad
2 x Vegetable and Panaar curry with rice and Naan
Co-op goats cheese and veg lattice withvegetables
Omelette with salad
Pasta, salmon and broccoli bake
Pizza and salad
Sausages and roast mini potatoes and veg
(and must have been a few other things that I can't remember)

My breakfast is always coffee and toast and marmalade and my other meal will be something like cheese and crackers and fruit or something similar and sometimes I just have another piece of toast. Preparing one meal each day is enough for me, I'm not very adventurous anymore, just can't be bothered. 
 
Now I just need to keep the food spending as low as this month even when I run out of the pre-Christmas stockpile

Back Tomorrow
Sue
 
 
 
   

33 comments:

  1. I know April is my expensive month, it is just engraved in my head and has been for ever. I also know when my quarterly bills come in. I have a good memory. I write down when I make a payment in a cash book too though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time we had lots of things due in December- which was a pain when trying to buy Christmas stuff. At least with so much due in March and April I get it over with all at once.

      Delete
    2. My car insurance relates to my birthday and has been due for April renewal for over 50 years since I passed my test and drove my first car. You don't forget that in a hurry. It happens to now coincide with the payment of the Council Tax! One doesn't forget that one either.

      Delete
  2. I read that about stamps. I'm not sure how it will all work though. It sounds a recipe for disaster for a while.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they may stop the 1st/2nd class labelling. As you say, a pain for those of us who stockpile (I buy sheets of stamps in December and use them for Xmas cards and thankyou, then the remainder usually keep me going through the year) I hope the "swap scheme" works out.

      Delete
    2. I think it will be all in the bar codes - perhaps in built date codes so old stamps can't be used - very annoying. I cant see how it makes any difference for their costs in delivering a letter with a stamp bought yesterday or one bought a year ago

      Delete
  3. I think I'm organised but you beat me hands down! Well done on the monthly shop, brilliant total.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exceptionally low spend - even surprised myself!

      Delete
  4. I wish I had kept my receipts, always good to look back on. I have just started putting prices on cans and packets to see how they rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to keep lots receipts - even supermarket- but they fade away over time and end up being a big wodge of useless paper. So now I only hang on to them for a few months just to see price rises

      Delete
  5. Gosh, I'm with you on the evening meal cooking - I too can't be bothered quite regularly now! Our daughter who's just moved out was despairing of me I'm sure! She still loves trying out new recipes that - in my eyes - are a lot of faffing around. I just make things I know off by heart and can "bung it"!

    You are VERY frugal. I am hoping to cut down our food bill now T has moved out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an exceptional month - not a normal one at all!

      Delete
  6. It's actually the end of January 2023 that the non-bar coded stamps will be invalid. Bad news for me because as a collector I've possibly hundreds of NVIs which I've always thought I would be able to use in an emergency. Not any more! No one seems to know how the swap system will work or how long for. I also can't make out whether this new system will apply to so-called special stamps (commemorating the Queen's Jubilee etc.) I can see people going to the PO and buying one stamp at a time for fear they'll be past their date!
    Apparently, you'll eventually be able to use the bar code to send greetings/see videos etc. on your Smart phone (which I don't have). Were people crying out for this? What most of us would prefer is that a letter posted with a first class stamp will arrive next day, which is what we've paid extra for. I had a birthday this month and so many people posted really early because the Christmas post was so unreliable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the Christmas special stamps had bar codes so I guess they all will. Once Royal Mail earned a huge chunk of money from the Special Issues - not sure if they still do.
      I have a smart phone but rarely use it for more than phoning or texting and it's not keen on added apps! Need a new phone but I keep putting it off

      Delete
  7. There is a page about exchanging stamps for bar-coded ones on the Martin Lewis site. Exchange scheme does not start until 31 March.

    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/02/anyone-with-stacks-of-stamps-at-home-has-less-than-one-year-to-u/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on such a low spend, even if it is slightly exceptional for you, it does go to show it's worth keeping records of what things cost too.

    The bar code scheme for stamps sounds like a complication too far and something that we as a business who usually buy 200 first class, and 100 large letter once a year will have to watch carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The low spend was really really low - I'm now wondering if I've missed something! - but sure I didn't.

      The stamp thing sounds annoying for you.

      Delete
  9. I should think that when your earthly presence has transitioned on social historians of the future will find your extensive spending records of great interest. (So long as your children don't dump the lot when they are having a clear out. But your archaeologist son might sense their value). You owe it to Humankind to keep them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to think they would be interesting in the future but I expect my children will heave everything into a large skip!

      Delete
  10. I keep a ledger showing all expenses except groceries. January and February were costly with yearly home and car insurance. Lately, food costs are high and rising. The packages are smaller too. Historically, buying bulk saved; today this not always true. When I go to the warehouse store (Costco) I bring my calculator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Price rises everywhere and not getting any better

      Delete
  11. I've got a book of the new stamps with barcodes and they are huge. Apparently you can scan the barcode with a smartphone and watch a video of Shawn the Sheep from Wallace & Grommit. I don't think I'll be bothering. I just want a first class STAMP for heaven's sake!
    Very well done on the February spend Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are fantastic Sue the way you keep such a check on everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old habits die hard. It's how I kept accounts so that we eventually got to our smallholding.

      Delete
  13. You keep excellent records of all your expenses. I keep monthly records of all my regular bills, such as electric, water and gas, but I don't always keep records of groceries. I do find it interesting to compare prices across the years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keeping track is a great idea. Apart from anything else, you will know if something described as 'on sale' is actually a good deal or just hype. I imagine that food prices are about to rise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. February is my outrageous month. And so short, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to check out items I have at home b4 I got shopping, write a list. I prefer to buy things on sale. Stock up on some items as one never knows when something will happen in days where I can't go shopping, shortage of things in stores at times. Prices have risen in many things, including gas for cars.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your posts and everything looks wonderful. I love your idea thanks for sharing.
    Cock Fight

    ReplyDelete