Friday 11 February 2022

Revisiting The Hovel Books

 Three of my favourite, never to be parted with books, are these (and apologies to Miki at Farms on my bookshelf again for copying but thanks for giving me the idea to write about some favourite books!)


I read Hovel in the Hills when it was first published in 1977 . Someone had requested it for the library where I was a library assistant and back then we often borrowed new books to read before informing readers that they had arrived (sounds odd now but it was the norm! perhaps the only perk to be had working at a low-paid council job!).

“Between the high, wild moorland of Hiraethog and the lush green lowlands of the Conwy valley, lies a scrubby rock-strewn wilderness clothed in bracken, gorse and ancient hawthorns. This untamed land is criss-crossed by lanes running between walls of moss-covered boulders, edged by foxgloves and gouged deep by centuries of plodding .

The book captured my imagination although I couldn't afford to buy it then but several years later the library started selling off books that were beginning to fall to pieces and I was lucky and picked up my copy above- for 30p - it says inside.

Front cover of Hovel in The Hills showing the back of the cottage in the snow

Hovel in the Hills tells the story of Elizabeth and Alan West who were in their late 20's and early 30's when they left their jobs in 1964 to move to a very old cottage in North Wales. For 14 years they lived a hand to mouth existence in a cottage with no mains water, electricity or drains. Each year they would have to work away from Hafod for several weeks - usually house sitting, housekeeping or gardening- to earn the money to stay there for the rest of the time. 

Garden in the Hills, published in 1980 is more about Hafod and how they tamed some of the wild land behind and beside the cottage to make a garden, protecting it with hedges and shelter belts. 

Map of the garden from my paperback edition of Garden in the Hills
 

My hardback copy of Hovel includes some photos and I understand there were also some black and white photos in the hardback version of Garden in the Hills but I've never seen them.


 

 'Garden in the Hills' is about the later years living there and ends sadly as they decide they have to move away.

In the thirteen years that we have been here we have watched civilisation creeping closer to us.......................................and all the time the road was being improved, the grass verges have been reduced, the surface broadened and the whole road has been resurfaced several times over the years. But we had our first real jolt a few years ago when we noticed that trees were being marked with white crosses alongside the road near Llanrwst. The council assured me, when I telephoned, that they were only planning to remove a nasty bend.....................Then the coaches started trying to squeze their way along the tiny road from Colwyn Bay that links with the road past Hafod. But there isn't room for coaches people said. So did they ban the coaches? No. They widened the road, and they built a wide surfaced viewing point on the topmost point of the high road. This is only about two miles from Hafod........Then the bulldozers moved in.............

Inflation meant they were having to spend more time away from Hafod working and they weren't getting any younger. In 1978 they moved away from Hafod and I'm not sure where they were living when Elizabeth wrote Kitchen in the Hills, a book of the recipes used at Hafod which was published in 1981.

Before the days of Amazon it was difficult to find secondhand books and I was very excited when I found a copy of Kitchen in the Hills in the secondhand bookshop in Felixstowe. I wrote to Mrs West via the publisher to tell her I had at last found a copy and she wrote back to tell me that she'd never been happy with the book as the publishers had made her change all the recipes to feed 4 people and add in all the oven temperatures. Of course all her cooking had been done for two and often on a wood fired stove. She thanked me for enclosing a SAE and said that they'd been unable to write back to people during their years at Hafod as even buying a stamp was impossible to afford. (I kept the note she wrote for years but then as things do, it disappeared)
 
She then went on to write 'Suffer the Little Children' and 'Insufferable Little Children' in the late 1980's  two  fictionalised books about her time as a school secretary and finally, after moving to The Forest of Dean, she wrote Patch in the Forest in 2001. I once owned the first two but no longer have them but Patch in the Forest I borrowed from a friend to read but have never owned a copy. (£55 secondhand now!)

In 2005 using hints from the books, a detailed OS map and information from a lady in Llanrwst Library we found the "hovel", still lived in and of course much improved. The high hedge in front of the house made it difficult to take a photo but I took these below




Another photo from The Hovel book taken from higher up behind the house but in much the same direction as my photo above it.

I loved the idea of living somewhere so quiet and beautiful that the birds could be tamed to sit on my hand like they did on Elizabeth's but we never got to move to Wales - however we did manage to own a smallholding for 23 years.

If I'm remembering correctly a friend wrote to Mrs West via her publishers after Patch in the Forest was published and heard back that Alan had died. If Elizabeth is still alive she would be in her late 80's now.

Miki's post are HERE  for lots more about the two Hafod books and Patch in the Forest. 


Back Tomorrow
Sue


45 comments:

  1. AS you know I love all three of these books too, if I had to choose just a few of my books to rescue in a fire these would be the first I grabbed. I borrowed Hovel in the Hills over and over from the library back in the day when buying a book would have been an unheard of luxury and Elizabeth's writing gave me hints and tips on living frugally as well as taking me to a wild countryside that I couldn't imagine from a little house in Manchester.

    That years later I ended up living just across the valley a few miles from the Hovel house was a coincidence that brought me great joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so excited when we found the house in 2005 and I'd not realised that I'd never put the photos on the blog before. (The new search facility for finding words in the body of a blog is very handy)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for that excellent review. For all of us who read Hovel in the Hills and set off for Wales it is a poignant reminder of dreams we had as young people. Perhaps the publishers should reissue the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought about moving so many times but in the end I'm glad we stayed in Suffolk

      Delete
  3. That is all absolutely beautiful, thank you very much. I will look out for them, they sound my sort of book. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a good read - the kitchen one is just recipes

      Delete
  4. Yes, I loved them as well but didn’t keep hold of them. Days gone by. Wonder if it’s remotely possible now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is already modernised I reckon - specially in Suffolk, even the most derelict barns are turned into houses!

      Delete
  5. Yes, these are treasured here too and indeed, part of my inspiration for moving to Wales. I can remember buying Garden in the Hills when on a coach trip (my Salisbury days I think) to Rhayader and the Elan Valley. The coach stopped in Rhayader for a lunchbreak/wander round and it was in a book shop (now a chippy I think). Every time we go to Rhayader I still feel that thrill of finding that book!

    I still re-read them regularly and wonder if they were still alive. Sorry to hear that Alan died and I should imagine Elizabeth is very aged now, but it is good that the lived the life they chose, despite its hardships - and they were very practical people. We've lived very hand-to-mouth in the past, but never quite so penniless as they were.

    Thank you so much for the updated photographs of the Hovel and the nearby views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange how we can remember buying treasured books from years ago but can't remember yesterday!

      Delete
    2. These books by Elizabeth West are my very favourites and precious, also I managed to find A Patch in the Forest, these four books are the first things I would save and I read them ovet and over.

      Delete
  6. I had second hand Hovel and Kitchen in the Hills, but in a mad declutter purge got rid of them both. I think the Kitchen one went to my daughter's partner who is a keen cook although I don't suppose he's made anything from the book, lol. I have since come across another second hand copy of Hovel more tattered than the first, but still readable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my moves and downsizing and these books have been with me all the way

      Delete
  7. Oh, you have a hardback copy ánd you have visited the hovel ... I'm jealous! I did once buy Kitchen in the Hills, hoping for more stories, but it was recipes only, none of which I was going to cook. A few months ago I wrote to Logaston Press who publish A Patch in the Forest, to ask if they might reprint. It turns out there are new owners, and they were not familiar with this title. They were going to contact the former owner about this. Recently I heard from them again, saying that they had not had time to look at the file, but that they had heard that Elizabeth had died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sorry she has died too. Not too surprising, especially as they lived a fairly hands-on HARD life. A shame Logaston Press won't be republishing A Patch in the Forest. I shall hope to come across it at a car boot sale some time. Hope the Universe is listening!!

      Delete
    2. Perhaps if we all email the publishers they will be encouraged to republish

      Delete
    3. They haven't said they won't republish, they just haven't had time to look into it.

      Delete
    4. My copy must be pretty valuable then. 🙂

      Delete
    5. I’m now reading A Patch in the Forest. My local library couldn’t even get it through interlibrary loan, although it did so in 2007, when I first read the trilogy. I had to pay $66 for it, worth every penny. So sorry to hear Elizabeth had died. Between Garden in the Hills and Patch in the Forest, they had to move back to the city for something like 14 years. I hope she got to stay in their forest home, if she wanted to, after Alan died. I want to find her novels now. I also recommend the Joyce Fussey and Jeanine McMullen series of smallholding memoirs. I find it so poignant to have discovered all these books after the writers had died. I wish I could tell them I loved them all.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sue, always love your posts, especially the book ones!
    I bought a copy of Patch in the Forest from ebay about 3 weeks ago. It was 10.00 plus postage,. I was so thrilled I didnt open it for a week, as I knew I would read it, and I wanted to prolong the anticipation.
    It is lovely! I just like Elizabeth and Alans way of gardening, living alongside plants, discovering unexpected treasures in overgrown patches. It is well worth looking for a copy. All good wishes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow how lucky you were to find that copy. I keep hoping to find it in a charity shop or car-boot sale one day

      Delete
  9. that is a very hard life. Not sure I would be able to do it
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me now in my 60's - might have been OK when I was 25!

      Delete
  10. The hovel books and John Seymour books inspired me to live on a smallholding or even my old allotments in Blighty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those books sound wonderful though I've never managed to get my hands on a copy of any of them. I do look in the local charity shops to no avail. I've really enjoyed looking at the lovely photos, Sue, so thank you for sharing them with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the paperback of the first one in a charity shop now and again. I'll keep a look out for you

      Delete
  12. These are among my favourite books as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever written about favourite books on your blog?

      Delete
  13. What a lovely post - thankyou x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting. Thank you for telling us all about this. Being Canadian I had never heard of those books before.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are around on UK amazon so might be available in Canada

      Delete
  15. Elizabeth West is a fascinating person. Her story of her love of home and gardens surrounded by land that she and Alan worked hard to tame and make productive is heartwarming. I will buy these books. Thank you for blogging about these books. Developing gardens and taming woodlands is, as I know, addictive but also gives great pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those books sound fascinating. It must have been tough there, but rewarding. I hope that they found somewhere just as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. US Amazon has Hovel in the Hills paperbacks available for $6.85. I believe hardback was $32.00.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow how interesting! I like the idea of living out in the middle of nowhere. Husband and I are hoping to retire up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where there aren't many large towns and the weather can be wild, but I have to have running water and some kind of power. We 'camped' out at a cabin once that had no water or toilet and I just about lasted the three days lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am re-reading Hovel fir the umpteenth time too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have paperbacks of both Hovel in the Hills and Garden in the Hills. I reread them yearly and get so much enjoyment from them. They are inspiring but I know I could never live without my home comforts (eg hair dryer!) as Elizabeth and Alan did. I have looked on OS maps for Hafod but am not sure exactly where it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are clues in her books, but you have to reed all 3 books to get the location.

      Delete