Wednesday 2 February 2022

The Farm Down the Lane

I'll start by apologising to Miki at Farms on my Bookshelf blog for blatantly borrowing her idea!

 
When I downsized books after Colin died and before moving I kept these three off his shelves because they are about a farm that we know that's quite local. We've owned the books for ages but I'd never actually read all the way through them.

 The books are by B.A. Steward and the oldest is Farm  Down the Lane, published in 1946 and including this lovely map.


This is the author in the 1980's on the back of his 3rd book "Green Lane Farm". He was born in 1897 in Norfolk and won a scholarship to The Paston School.
 After serving in WWI he went on an agricultural training scheme for demobbed soldiers and worked on several farms, then in 1929 was appointed editor of a new monthly journal The Dairy Farmer. He was then able to purchase the 120 acre Green Lane Farm in 1937.
 
Farm Down the Lane is the story of that farm in a year through the war.  One Journey: the story of a Suffolk Farmer - his Autobiography was published in 1981and Green Lane Farm is a collection of short pieces written for The Daily Herald and the Eastern Daily Press published in 1982.
 
He sold the farm house, buildings and land in 1953 to the father of the current owner and moved nearer to the Suffolk coast to a property with just one acre. Later the Stewards retired to Felixstowe . Bert Steward died in 1993.
 
The House still looks much the same now as it does on the drawing and the 'moat' is still there and the pond on the other side of the lane.

 

 About half of the land was sold off many years ago and the fields still owned by the farm are let out to neighbouring farmers. They still use the buildings (some probably go back to the thirties) and the part of Barn Meadow which is closest to the house is now a garden.

I asked the owner  if any of the fields owned by the farm still have the same names and she said  Dumpling, Little and Big Smithers, Lower Riding and Garbage are still the same. They also still own the little bit of land by the pond which is "The Stackyard" - and you can see the straw-stacks on the map Over the years Nettice has become Neathouse and High Riding has become Home Riding. I love the fact that farms in the past always named their fields - this would be in the days when there were farm workers who would need to know where they were being sent to work. (When we got the deeds to the smallholding we found it had been built in 1955 on a 5 acre field called "Far Biggins" - part of a huge estate)

Of Steward's three books the earliest is the best - but gets no mention in the later books. It's full of Suffolk  words and phrases and details of the way farmers worked during the war. On the day that Italian Prisoners of war come to pull sugar-beet on the farm. Old Sam remembers the earlier war days  as he patrolled the lane with his shotgun looking for enemy parachutists.

"A rum night....planes goin' about in a hurry......dussent show a light, an' there was the ol' mare a-foalin'"
Sugarbeet was often grown during war time and just as now the weather could be a problem

"When you're growin' sugarbeet they want to be orf the land by th' end o' November, Du that awnt do to grow 'em at all"

 How many tales from the books are true? In his biography he says that he took three local villages and mixed them together and "Old Nart" one of the Suffolk characters in the books, was made up of several people he knew. So the map of the The Farm Down the Lane might be the only thing that was accurate! He was definitely more of a journalist than a farmer.


Back Tomorrow
Sue


32 comments:

  1. You certainly have some interesting books, Sue! Do his books come with an index or translation of the Suffolk dialect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the books are written in normal English! Just some of what the old "boys" say is in Suffolk dialect and no translation needed for me!

      Delete

  2. what a lovely tale told Sue. The naming of fields, 'Starvation Field' I remember from Somerset gave the landscape a personality. Reading a book with dialect at the moment but I can skip it as well, the author also writes in proper English!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes most of these books are not dialect but it's easy for me to read and understand the little bits of dialect - I've grown up with it!

      Delete
  3. This brought back poignant memories of our farming days Sue - almost all of our fields had names and when David and I married in 1993 his father, who was in his nineties still pottered on the farm. He and David used to still call the fields by their names - they used to translate when talking to me about where they wantd their even o clock flasks bringing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we divided up our 4 acre field at the smallholding we had names for the paddocks- makes a conversation much easier. Colin and I could never agree on - if the "top" of the meadow was furthest away or nearest the house. I said furthest away he said nearest!

      Delete
  4. Well, I think there is a Dutch expression that says thst good ideas are there to be copied! Anyway, you've given me a new author for my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've heard somewhere a saying "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery!"
      Its good to know this has made an idea for your shelves too

      Delete
  5. How lovely. The style of those maps reminds me of the map at the front of the Milly Molly Mandy books - do you remember them?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't come across Milly Molly Mandy until I worked in a library - I had a book deprived childhood!

      Delete
  6. Please be assured that farmers in the present day still name all their fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. I know some farmers just use the O.S. field number in their GPS systems and on board tractor computers.

      Delete
    2. On official documents it is necessary to use OS field numbers, but in the farm kitchen and the farm map on the wall fields all have informal names. We used to have the farm map kept behind the cupboard in the kitchen for crop planning used every year, drawn by my brother. All the fields had the same names as those used in the 1920s by grandfather. The fields are still named by the big people who bought the farm although the manager changed some to suit him and his men, but they are still named.

      Delete
  7. have you ever read Hedingham Harvest? it was a Lincolnshire thinly veiled tale about the village my father grew up in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read that book, have heard of it and assumed it was about Castle Hedingham in Essex!

      Delete
  8. "When you're growin' sugarbeet they want to be orf the land by th' end o' November, Du that awnt do to grow 'em at all" I can imagine that slightly differently in my uncle's Yorkshire farmer's accent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It strikes me that in current times, Mr. Steward would have been a blogger! Even then there was a need to get it all down, the minutiae of the days going by. I can understand completely why you couldn't bring yourself to part with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending a weekly piece to the newspapers is much like blogging I guess - although it would last a lot longer in print.

      Delete
  10. How lovely those books must be to read - the history of just one small farm, but kept for posterity. He lived to a ripe old age didn't he, and did well with his life.

    The farm which surrounded us at our old home had named fields too (most of them in Welsh of course, apart from Lime Kiln Field and "our" field which we brought with the house and that was the Kitchen Field. Here all the names on the 1841 Tithe Map are in Welsh but I doubt any are much remembered now. Mind you, the three brothers who farm above us have been on that farm since their grandfather bought it 100 years ago so I am guessing all their field names are still known.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun post, Sue! I love the detailed map.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your books on farming are real treasures. Farming history is fascinating to me. Naming fields seems both practical and very useful. I love the way hedges, stone walls and fences divide the fields. My property was once farmed and there are very old 3 foot wide stone walls dividing the acreage into fields. The fields are now all forested. Nature always fills a void.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of our fields have names. They have numbers for the province to keep track of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This brings back some memories. Both my grandparents farmed in Suffolk during WW2. Fields had names, many of which my father can remember. The largest on the farm near Beccles was the London field. My great grandfather used to buy worn down hackney cab horses from London, feed them well and rest them for a year before selling them back at a profit. A little bit of heaven for them in a miserable life I would think. The land is now farmed by my cousin. I must ask him if the names are on any papers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My sister lives on a small holding with named fields in Herefordshire, one is called the Plock. My Mum was part of the Land Army that farmed the fields during the war. She is 94 now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I grew up on a dairy farm (120 acres) and my father had different names for each field. Each cow had its own name as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's quite the story you shared. I enjoyed reading it. Megan and I have been watching "All Creatures Big and Small" on PBS. I remember waiting the older one when Phil and I were living in Felixstowe years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing Sue-sounds right up my street and reminds me of Akenfield. Have you read those? I just got a copy for my birthday and can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  19. When we lived at Jointers Farm all of the fields of his 600 acres had very old names, named for various reasons at the time and as it had been in Roberts family for generations he told us all the reasons for the naming them, it was fascinating stuff.

    I love old hand-drawn maps of villages and farmland.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing. I suppose he was worried about being sued or something, or perhaps mixing stuff up made a better story. It's still all fascinating.

    ReplyDelete