Wednesday 9 February 2022

I Found A Snowdrop

 When I say A Snowdrop that's exactly what I mean ........just the one! 

Arriving here in May last year I had no idea if the previous owners had planted any spring bulbs. A few shoots have started appearing and one of them turned out to be a snowdrop although a couple of days later the flower head had gone....fallen off.....eaten....?
 A pot of snowdrops picked up in Diss a few weeks ago produced leaves but no flowers - I should have known they were planted as bulbs and would come up blind. Joy in Essex kindly offered me some from her garden but it would be Very mean to take some from someones winter garden!
 
I've written about snowdrops in some old posts ....................(or to give them their Latin name Galanthus.)

Sometimes known as 'Fair Maid of February' they are originally a native of alpine areas of Europe and Asia, it was considered to be a holy plant, a symbol of chastity and purity. According to my little book of plant folklore Snowdrops should only be brought into the house with a 'white purification' ceremony otherwise it's unlucky to have them indoors.

Brother, 
Joy to you
I've brought some snowdrops; 
only just a few,
But quite enough to prove the world awake,
Cheerful and hopeful in the frosty dew
And for the pale sun's sake.

Christina Rosetti
 
 
SNOWDROPS
I like to think 
That, long ago
There fell to earth
Some flakes of snow
Which loved this cold,
Grey world of ours
So much, they stayed 
As snowdrop flowers
 
  Mary Vivian
 
But back to my new garden - with it's one flower and some leaves - unlike Clay Cottage where there were clumps everywhere. Then I had a brainwave.............Anglesey Abbey! I wanted to go there in 2019................


 It would be good to make an effort/be brave enough on my own, to get to the National Trust  Anglesey Abbey which is along the A14 just into Cambridgeshire, they have a collection of dozens of different species of Snowdrops.Their snowdrop gardens are open from mid January, I've made a note.

 I wasn't brave enough in 2019. I'd had nearly two years of driving along the busy A14 and A11 back and forwards to Addenbrookes Hospital but after Colin died in May 2018 I didn't need to drive so much and lost a lot of the confidence previously gained .

But just recently I've been making an effort to drive on busy roads more, rather than always going cross country so felt it would be a possibility.

And it was, and I went and came home with these from the Garden Centre there, ready to plant out today.


Tomorrow I'll post about the winter gardens and everything else I saw at Anglesey Abbey.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

 

 

26 comments:

  1. Enjoy your snowdrops. Around here they proliferate A LOT! And fortunately there is no such thing as too many snowdrops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy! We saw lots of snowdrops on our walk yesterday. Sadly there is no sign in my garden of the snowdrops I bought from the NT at Kingston Lacy in Dorset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sounds a really lovely outing and glad you got those beautiful snowdrops. A friend is going to Painswick (Glos) to see the Snowdrop display there and another friend does a family Snowdrop Walk at Kingston Lacy (snap Angela!!)

    When we were at Disserth church on Monday, there were lots of clumps out and our own little local churchyard across the fields by the river will be smothered in them too. Must go along there this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be a shortage of snowdrops in my new village

      Delete
  4. P.S. I never knew they were unlucky in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ours are only just coming up but as they are in a gravel garden, have to fight their way up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dearly love Anglesea Abbey - maybe I ought to put it on the list of Places To Visit. It's a bit of a way, especially if I don't use the M11 (which I don't) but doable. I wonder what the journey from Southold is like. Must look it up.

    I'm so glad you found some snowdrops to keep your single on company. Once they are established, they spread well so they should be a picture in a few years.

    The poems are beautiful, thanks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An hour from me in mid suffolk so over 2 hours from Southwold

      Delete
  7. Aww ... now your lonely little Snowdrop will have some friends.

    Now I know that ours have survived the move from Wales in their plant pots, I will be dotting them around the garden once they are back in the green ready for next years display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope next year I'll be able to say I have more than one

      Delete
  8. I know what you mean about getting out of the habbit of driving on the fast roads. I use to do that journey regulary too and didn't think anything about it, but when you do not do it often it does make you nervous. Glad you did it, Anglesey Abbey is wonderful and I look forward to hearing all about your thrip there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with the A14 is that its as busy as a motorway but only two lanes most of the way and far too many huge trucks and always roadworks somewhere!

      Delete
  9. Well done Sue. And what a reward! I'd love drifts of snowdrops everywhere. I have planted a few here and there, but the last year has seen much upheaval in our garden so some I fear have been lost. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many things that prove it is possible to have a colourful garden in February.
      Hope your snowdrops have battled through

      Delete
  10. I will have to see if snow drops survive our winters I do not believe I have ever seen one here but I just may have not known what I was looking for.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they would survive frozen ground.

      Delete
  11. Very reassuring to know I'm not the only one who has lost confidence about driving. I haven't driven on a motorway or into a town I'm not familiar with for two years now and am very nervous about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cross with myself for not being brave enough to drive far! and the problem with Suffolk is there are no motorways to get used to - the A14 is very busy but only two lanes much of the way

      Delete
  12. I think it is wonderful that you looked directly at a problem and then stepped out. I hope those snowdrops always remind you that you are braver than you think, stronger than you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spring is rebirth when the garden emerges from a Winter sleep. Finding even a single Spring blooming plant (or flower) in the garden is joyful. In time, your collection will multiply. Anglesea Abbey sounds wonderful. Lately, the traffic is heavy and not just at commuting hours. I've been known to head out, find a huge backup of cars and just turn around and go home. I can't be bothered with a traffic jam that will double my commute time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is something wonderful about snowdrops. I'm glad you now have some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A bundle of snowdrops is more lovely than one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Snowdrops. I can usually find one small patch at the place where I walk but not for a while yet!

    ReplyDelete