Monday 14 February 2022

The February Library Book Photo

 Last week I collected these from the library van, they are all books I'd ordered online. Five crime fiction this time.

 


Top of the heap is The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennet which was suggested to me after I wrote about the books by S. J. Bennett in which the Queen solves mysteries.
 Next Master Wycliffe's Summons by Mel Starr - the 14th Chronicle about Hugh De Singleton set in the late 14C. 
Village Hours By Ronald Blythe is another collection of his pieces written originally for The Church Times.
 The very fat book by Ann Granger - Mystery in the Making is a book of short stories by this author who has written dozens of crime stories.
Alis Hawkins -In Two Minds was suggested to me by someone on the blog, she's a new-to-me author. The Gallows Pole by Benjamin Myers is a story based on fact. Think this was mentioned on a blog - maybe by Thelma or Jennie? I've had a quick look - not sure about reading it.It's a bit oddly written.
The Dockland Murder by Mike Hollow is another Blitz Detective story. I'll be up to date with them when I've read it.
 Bottom of the pile is Chris Nickson's latest about Simon Westow - a thief taker in early 19th century Leeds.
On the right are The Garden Apothecary and The Hedgerow Apothecary by Christine Iverson. I had the 2nd of these for weeks before Christmas and never got round to photocopying the bits I wanted to keep. I need a new printer/photocopier that actually works reliably! Also on the right is Suffolk Jewels a book full of the work of 38 different printmakers. I've had this before but couldn't remember what was in it - so borrowed it just for another look.

How did I get on with last month's haul?.....the books I finished have been added to the Books Read 2022 page and all the rest except for that little Alison Uttley book on the top of the heap have gone back unread or unfinished.

 When I ran of library books last week (except for the Alison Uttley which I didn't fancy at the time) I read  'Dogs, Goats, Bulbs and Bombs' A Wartime Diary of Exmouth and Exeter by Esther Rowley, from my bookshelves and I've also been looking through other books similar to The Hovel ready for more blog posts.

Back Tomorrow
Sue


18 comments:

  1. Like you I have put The Gallows Pole aside. It's tone is miserable and the dialect page after each chapter distinctly off putting. Listening to Ellie Griffiths - Ruth Galloway books at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only person to give up on it - very strange way of writing with no speech marks etc

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of the Chris Nickson book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read all his books - there are several series of historical crime - always look out for the new ones

      Delete
  3. I recommended Alis Hawkins. Really good writer.

    Have you come across any of Jeannine McMullen's books? A Small Country Living, The Wind in the Ash Tree etc? She settled in a little cottage near Llandeusant, Carms and was one of the inspirations for us moving to Wales. The first title came from a series she had on Radio 4, back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanine McMullen were books I've owned and read many years ago - now long gone. Don't remember them being as inspiring as Elizabeth West or John Seymour

      Delete
    2. and I'll let you know how I get on with Alis Hawkins

      Delete
  4. I was expecting a post on St Valentine. It would have been my Dad's 105th birthday today, he died aged 46.

    Another good haul. Are there many more books you haven't read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I "did" St Valentine last year or the year before - don't like to repeat myself too often!

      Delete
  5. I think I will look out Village Hours - I am not a crime reader, I will watch Vera, Inspector Lynley et al on TV but leave the muder mysteries to my mum to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronald Blythe is now in his 90's and wrote for the Church Times forever! The pieces have been gathered into many books and I've read several, gradually working my way through them. Very descriptive of the countryside around him on the Suffolk/Essex border and his church life and people he knows and meets

      Delete
  6. The Uncommon Reader is rather charming; I hope you enjoy it.

    I meant to comment about your lovely gift of snowdrops. They're so pretty. I didn't know you weren't supposed to bring them indoors (like May)! I always do, so that I can enjoy them in comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Very Small book! looks like a speedy read.
      I've just been reading that Gypsies also never take snowdrops inside their vans.
      May, Lilac and snowdrops are the things my Grandma and Mum never had indoors - all signified a death

      Delete
  7. I think it was you who had suggested "A Green & Pleasant Land" about the efforts to feed the UK during WWII - it was excellent - so interesting! I've also just finished "A Square Meal" about the efforts (or not) to feed people in the US during the Depression - a real eye opener!

    My mystery reads from the library for the past couple of weeks have included "The Heron's Call" by Ann Cleeves and "The Last Thing He Told Me" - both of which I waited a few weeks for and both of which were well worth it.

    At the moment I'm re-reading my own copy of "Angelology" by Danielle Trussoni - a book I read when it first came out many years ago and which is just as good the second time through!

    Thank you to all of those who comment and leave other suggestions - always a great resource for new books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Square Meal sounds interesting - I'll add it to my wish list

      So good to get reading ideas from other book lovers

      Delete
  8. Thanks for reminding me about Ann Grainger. I like her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alan Bennet sound good. Perhaps the kind of thing I need as I seem to have stopped reading at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow quite a reading pile! You look like you're doing well this year already. I find myself pulling out books to read for the month and then get distracted by other books. Do you manage to stick to the books you have ready to read?

    ReplyDelete