Thursday 25 January 2024

25th January is the Conversion of St Paul's Day - With Music!

 This is a strange piece of music that you may never have heard before. Unfortunately the only place I could find it on you tube it cuts out after a few bars for ads.(or it may not when uploaded)

It's by David Grant and the Community Gospel Choir with music by Mike Read and words by John Betjeman. It comes from a CD called Words/Music which has many poems of Betjeman's set to music and sung by different artists. It was intended to become a musical of the life of John Betjeman but the CD was as far as it got.

I bought the CD in 2006 because on Radio 2 Terry Wogan began playing 'Myfanwy' sung by David Essex and I was a David Essex fan. I've never come across anyone else who has ever heard of the CD/Failed Musical.




The Conversion of St Paul, poem by Sir John Betjeman
What is conversion? Not at all
For me the experience of St Paul,
No blinding light, a fitful glow
Is all the light of faith I know
Which sometimes goes completely out
And leaves me plunging into doubt
Until I will myself to go
And worship in God’s house below —
My parish church — and even there
I find distractions everywhere.
What is Conversion? Turning round
To gaze upon a love profound.
For some of us see Jesus plain
And never once look back again,
And some of us have seen and known
And turned and gone away alone,
But most of us turn slow to see
The figure hanging on a tree
And stumble on and blindly grope
Upheld by intermittent hope.
God grant before we die we all
May see the light as did St Paul






I wrote about St Paul's conversion and photographed the pages from the saints book HERE in 2021 so won't repeat myself, but this is the weather rhyme that was once well known for this day - covering all eventualities!



If St. Paul's Day be fair and clear,
It doth betide a happy year;
But if by chance it then should rain,
It will make dear all kinds of grain;
And if the clouds make dark the sky,
Then neate* and fowls this year shall die;
If blustering winds do blow aloft,
Then wars shall trouble the realm full oft.

* Neate is an old word for cattle

Back Tomorrow
Sue

23 comments:

  1. Saint Paul has never been one of my favourite saints. I find him altogether to sure of himself and I'm not a fan of covering my head in church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know enough about saints to have favourites!

      Delete
  2. Not getting into theological arguments here [I am a fan of Paul, but not of the men who have twisted his words in order to suppress women]
    However two other interesting things - my old school is now renamed Neatherd High, because the common land behind it was where the herd of neat grazed. Secondly never heard that music before, but only recently heard someone on Radio 4 talking of his fondness for betjeman, and he mentioned "a musical about him which never got off the ground"... this must be that!
    Thanks Sue, I love learning this stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CD has some interesting interpretations of JB's poems all by well known musicians. Of course David Grant is better known now for being a judge on choir competitions.
      Interesting to hear there is another person out there somewhere who has heard of the non- musical!

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much indeed for the poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not one of my favourites from JB - but interesting

      Delete
  4. Interesting - I'll listen to it later. Thanks. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to play right through now |it's loaded up properly

      Delete
  5. I like Betjeman's work and this poem encapsulates the experience of many, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like many of his poems but this one does nothing for me

      Delete
  6. Looking out at our weather today I'd guess we're in for a mixed bag of a year. A little sun appeared earlier but has now gone again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misty drizzle here all day - depressing sort of weather

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this I found it interesting and I like the poem.
    It's St Dwynwen's day in Wales - the Welsh equivalent of St Valentine's Day.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, good old Saint Paul. I love the poem about the weather had never heard it before.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been around a very long time. Not sure what misty drizzle means for the year, that's what we have today

      Delete
  9. It’s Burns Day today in Scotland. The track played for 8 minutes so I just kept listening-thank you.Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird the track wouldn't play right through until it was on the blog

      Delete
  10. I listened and it played straight through. Entirely new to me. My weather is 50 degrees F with sun and clouds. Lots of melting snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hesitate to ask: what was your weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misty and drizzly and grey - not sure what that means for the year

      Delete
    2. Sounds like good news for grain, bad news for livestock!

      Delete