Saturday 13 January 2024

The January Library Book Photo

 I was very glad to find the flood that I photographed a week ago had gone  (another tanker came and pumped out the drains again) because the lay-by in front of the houses is where the mobile library stops and I didn't fancy wading to the van! - Although of course the library lady wouldn't have stopped in the middle of it!

These are the 9 books brought home - all ones I'd reserved on line. Mostly crime fiction again. 


The book about the artists at the back is a  'looking at' book. I've been interested in these artists since the Persephone book 'Long Live Great Bardfield' and finding some postcards of Ravilious paintings.
I'm not sure why I reserved the other non-fiction book - 'Eating With The Tudors', it looks a bit heavy going.
I've already started 'The Port of London Murders' which is a British Library Crime Classic reprint which I'd missed reading when it was first published in 2020. 'Big Ben Strikes Eleven' is another BLCC, this one published last year and is an author I don't know so I hope it's readable.
At the bottom of the heap is the 24th and latest in the Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.

Last month I only brought home 5 books and read 4 out of the five, so have been reading from my shelves. Everything read is on the Books read 2023 and new 2024 pages.

 The weather forecast is still talking about cold weather next week although they were completely wrong for the week just gone. 
Hope you have a good weekend, whatever the weather, I'll be back Monday.
Sue



24 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear the flood has gone down. I always enjoy seeing the books you are reading. Seeing them is almost like going to a friends house and looking at their bookcase! Enjoy your reading and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in the Tudor recipe book. Looks like an informative read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got lots of modern interpretations of Tudor recipes - not sure I'll be trying any!

      Delete
  3. I read 'Long Live Great Bardfield' and it's an excellent introduction to this set of artists. Are you within visiting distance of the Fry Gallery in Saffron Walden? Too far for me, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's within reach and I would love to go and see their exhibition of the Bardfield artists. Maybe this summer - they re-open in April

      Delete
  4. I've read so much crime fiction recently that I had to make a determined effort to find something different. I like Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street series more than the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency. It's the 'reading in accents' problem, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read most of the other series he did - Isobel Dalhousie but not the 44 Scotland St for some reason - and there must be a reason!

      Delete
  5. Another interesting collection this month. Was it you who recommended The Christmas Guest by Peter Swanson? I bought it and thoroughly enjoyed it-I will probably read it again this Christmas. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not something I've read - I looked it up and not sure about reading - it sounds a bit scary!

      Delete
  6. Last time I was at the library I saw a copy of the artists book........perhaps if it's there next time I'll check it out...... I do like the Eric Ravilious stuff.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased when I found the postcards in old scrapbooks from a car boot sale two years ago.

      Delete
  7. The Port of London one is one I've had my eye on for yonks so I'll be interested to see what you think of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished it - two evenings reading! It's really good . How the docks of London really were before the war and about ordinary people living there in the slums waiting to be demolished. Reminded me of the Anne Perry William Monk books about the river police in late Victorian period.

      Delete
  8. I am reading a good nonfiction book called "The Woman They Could Not Silence" by Kate Moore. It is the true story of Elizabeth Packard who was put in an insane asylum by her husband in 1860. The story takes place in my home state of Illinois and shows that women had no legal rights back then. It is shocking that there are still battles around the world and even in the US that women are fighting for their rights and freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women were often put in mental institutions for odd things - baby born out of wedlock or minor illnesses and depression and often stayed in them for the rest of their lives.

      Delete
  9. Not sure I'd want to read that book about the Tudors' eating habits - would probably make me feel glad I live now and not then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I shall read it either - probably just flick through it

      Delete
  10. That is a good collection of crime fiction. I'm glad to hear the flooded road has been drained and everyone is able to safely use the roadways. Inland, we have large puddles but some seaside towns with rain plus high tides are flooded, including houses located a mile from the beach. Homes that never flooded before are seeing water. My home is on a hill that leads down to a stream. The stream has doubled in width and is flowing beautifully. The rain is now light and supposed to stop soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a mainly dry week so things are drying up and flooded roads decreasing - thankfully.

      Delete
  11. Some of my favorite series and authors here! I hope to hear your feedback on them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favourite photos each month! I've been really enjoying listening the BBC audio dramas of the Simon Brett Charles Paris mysteries. Bill Nighy is so good in the role.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That pile of books looks very interesting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is bitterly cold here Sue...think we had and 'event' during the night, either freezing rain or snow that had melted by morning. Winter is not done with us I fear. x

    ReplyDelete