Saturday 20 January 2024

Rushing Through the Month and Through Three Books

 Two thirds of January gone already and I'm very much enjoying the hibernation. I've either been at home or walking in the village and have only left home by car for the exercise group, shopping and then swimming.

Finally, after 3 months, I got back to the swimming pool. They'd reintroduced a public swimming session time that was available this time last year but not in the Autumn term and was OK for me - not too early, not to late and not when I want to be eating my lunch! I managed 30 minutes  slow swimming with only a few stops to get my breath. Not too bad, considering. Freezing cold going out of the pool building though - on a minus degree morning.

I started reading the first new library book on Thursday evening and by Monday evening I'd finished three...............one was a novella but even so that's a bit speedy and means I'll run out of library books way before February's van visit.

First to be finished was 'The Port of London Murders' by Josephine Bell. This is a British Library Crime Classic first published in 1938. Unusually for 'Golden Age' crime this isn't set in a locked room in a posh country house with an amateur detective but in the slums of London's Dockland and as such it is real social history document.



The story starts with the late arrival to the docks of the San Angelo a British owned boat with a mixed cargo from the East and the discussion of the worried shipping agent on the phone . Then we are taken to a party of bright young things drinking and dancing late into the night and it starts to feel a bit complicated because the next chapter is about some of the boatmen and an accident to one of the young boys living by the river and then to the people living in one of the slum houses waiting to be demolished.
I was beginning to feel a bit lost with all the different parts to the story that didn't seem to link together but persevered as it is very well written.

As the story moves on it gradually ties together all the different people and the reasons for some very strange things that had been washed overboard and ends up being a very clever story.


Second book was this quick read, because it goes at such a fast pace it has to be read quickly to keep up!
I'd read a couple of books in this series before and there are many, many more but I'd forgotten they are a bit too unbelievable and very violent.
This story has forensic scientist Rhona MacLeod travelling to the Isle of Skye after the discovery of a decomposing foot, caught in a fisherman's net. But straight away the Ministry of Defence want the find kept secret.
I've reserved another to try but they are not my favourite sort of crime stories and it might be my last.




And finally the novella. This must have been the last book Anne Perry wrote before she died in 2023. She had been writing these Christmas novellas for many years and they are usually a good short read. They are all set in the Victorian period and often feature characters from her other Victorian series.



When Mariah Ellison arrives to visit her friend Sadie Alsop for Christmas- she has been invited and even sent the train time - she finds Sadie has disappeared and her husband doesn't seem bothered and refuses to let Mariah stay. She eventually finds another friend to stay with and then starts searching. But it seems Sadie has lots of secrets and so do many of the other people in the village.

***********************

If you've been watching Vera on TV the last two Sundays make the most of tomorrows episode as according to the Radio Times it might be the last. Brenda Blethyn is 77 and has said she may not make anymore. Although who knows. They carried on making Taggert after Marc McManus died, and Morse turned into Lewis after John Thaw retired, so anything's possible.

And mentioning the Radio Times, the new edition has 50 questions taken from University Challenge, Mastermind, Only Connect and QI. I'll be having a go at them during the week - wonder how many I'll answer - probably not a lot!

Have a good weekend
I'll be back Monday
Sue


41 comments:

  1. I could answer some and sensibly guessed at some but nowhere near all of them. It's a good quiz. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had a good look yet - time will tell!

      Delete
  2. Re Vera, I did wonder if that was why Joe was back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn’t thought of why Joe was back. But makes sense. Although I think a young Vera might have some miles in it. A bit like Endeavour

      Delete
    2. They could make Joe the main character and have Vera sat in her cottage giving him advice!

      Delete
    3. Yes! They could carry on bickering. He'd say she was wrong, and then she'd be proved right!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you liked The Port of London etc. after I cried it up!

    I'll have a look at those quiz questions. I thought last Monday's University Challenge was very difficult and it wasn't just me because it was a very low scoring round compared to some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about last weeks UC - I think I managed 5 points =one question

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the heads up about the quiz-I’ll have a try at that later. As the weather is wet and very windy, I am sitting with a coffee trying to think of some things to make with my craft group in the next few months. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still fine here and washing out - will be windier tomorrow here they say

      Delete
  5. I'll bear in mind what you say about The Port of London Murders, that it's quite complicated but all comes together in the end. I'm in a Thames sort of a mood at the moment, just reading a non-fiction called Mudlarking by Lara Maiklem and it's absolutely fascinating. Recommend it if you like that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read one about Mudlarks but not that one. I shall have a look for it

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy Vera. She looks good for her age. I'd miss her expressions and mannerisms which make the part so much her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the TV programmes to the books which is odd as it's usually the other way round. be sad if they finish

      Delete
  7. I shall be sorry to see Vera coming to an end, but it's inevitable and must be hard on the actor to keep playing the same character. I've always liked Brenda Blethyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent actress though I do get fed up with her grumpyness as Vera sometimes

      Delete
  8. Ah yes, bringing back Joe to Vera........as mentioned above........might be a hint to future plans? I enjoy Vera, but something about it makes me sleepy...I often nod off in the middle 😄 Brenda Blethyn is doing well for 77 x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise her age - it will be sad but understandable if she finishes

      Delete
  9. My that is a lot of reading over one weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too quick - I've read two more since then!

      Delete
  10. Our cold, snowy weather has been very good for my reading! I finished "The Woman They Could Not Silence" which is so good. A non-fiction which I usually don't read but I couldn't put this down. About a woman named Elizabeth Packard in 1860's Illinois (my home state). I recommend it.
    Now I am reading another non-fiction "Black AF History". These 2 books just make me so angry about all of the injustice done to women and blacks in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to find something to read in winter

      Delete
  11. I'm glad to hear about the Josephine Bell. I think I'll put that one on my wish list. Our round of the new Vera's doesn't start until the end of the month, I think. I love that series and I'll miss it. I've been watching Monsier Spade (sp) and waiting eagerly for new McDonald and Dodds episodes. I hate it when a favorite series ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only made 3 in this new series which doesn't seem many. perhaps it will have a spin off.

      Delete
  12. Lately, the cold is brutal. Below freezing temperatures and no sun brings on a need to hibernate for us all. It is great that you are able to swim again and the pool schedule is improved. I'll look for the Vera series, it sounds quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather has turned milder here - it's always changing

      Delete
  13. Sounds like you've been reading a lot. It's a wonderful time of year to stay inside and read. I'm glad you did manage to get out for the swimming.

    I'm excited to hear there is a new Vera. I can't wait until it comes here. No spoilers please lol. Might be a few weeks until I see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a series of three - and they are the last except for perhaps a one-off special.

      Delete
  14. If Vera is finished I will really miss the show.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will all be looking out to see if there are more.

      Delete
  15. I have followed your blog for quite a while but I don't comment very often. But I just want to say that I love the fact that you bring us into your corner of the world. I live in the US and being able to escape for a short while to another place is good for my sanity. I enjoy your book reviews and always try to find them. I borrow audiobooks through Libby and very few of them are available. Occasionally I get lucky. Thank you for giving me a break from this crazy country I'm living in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, Grammy Braxton. Same.

      Delete
    2. Lovely to hear from you and thank you for reading.
      The whole world seems crazy sometimes - and I'm glad of my quiet life without too much excitement!

      Delete
  16. I love Winter when it's cold and wet and the best activity to be done is to relax with a cuppa and a good book. Or any time at all actually. You are doing well with your half an hour constant swimming !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always glad to get back to swimming after a break but takes me a while to feel fitter again

      Delete
  17. I'll be sad that Vera is coming to an end, but she is getting slightly annoyingly over-grumpy in this last series. I feel like saying 'stop being SO impatient woman' to her on many occasions. I don't like Joe, so hopefully if they decide to continue with a different format it will be with a younger Vera, rather than the same characters without her.

    I'm currently reading 'October, October' ... not my usual sort of book at all but very good. Oh and I got a few of the quiz answers in the RT but not as many as I should ... I did however manage the full crossword though, so I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are my comments vanishing into your Spam box again? I definitely left a comment on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got a book at the library a week ago Friday that looks interesting. I need to start reading it this week even though I need to finish a book that I bought and almost done. My daughter likes murder mystery books too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have some of the British Crime Library books and my daughter in law loves them too. I enjoy Vera and read somewhere that Brenda Blethyn said that she would be back…so who knows?! University challenge is a Monday evening ‘challenge’ for us..we compare scores with my son! The questions seem to get more and more difficult! Our scores seem to get worse and worse each week !😂

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been enjoying the Vera books but haven't seen any of the television series yet. I will have to see if I can find it online. I remember when it began people said Brenda Blethyn was too attractive to be Vera but I guess she grew on viewers.

    I was curious about Lin Anderson's books because they pop us as recommendations quite often but I don't think they are published in the US. It doesn't sound as if I should make a lot of effort unless one turns up at the library.

    Constance

    ReplyDelete