Monday 29 January 2024

A Book and a Bag of Fruit and Nuts

 All my library books have now been finished although I still have the huge book about the Great Bardfield Artists to look through. 

What to choose off my shelves?

I picked A Lost Lady by Willa Cather , which is one of the books I found at the big Colchester Charity Book Sale in October.


I've read O Pioneers and My Antonia by her previously. This is the note about the book from Wiki

A Lost Lady is a 1923 novel by American writer Willa Cather. It tells the story of Marian Forrester and her husband, Captain Daniel Forrester, who live in the Western town of Sweet Water along the Transcontinental Railroad. Throughout the story, Marian—a wealthy married socialite—is pursued by a variety of suitors and her social decline mirrors the end of the American frontier.[1] The work had a significant influence on F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 novel, The Great Gatsby.[2]

It's very well written and I enjoyed it, it will be added to my very small collection of Virago Modern Classics to keep, rather than pass on. 

I was listening to Radio 5 Live while writing this post and heard about how well England did in the first of the cricket test matches in India. Colin would have so enjoyed it. The first time India have lost  at home while having a 100 run lead, I think they said, and England hardly ever win much abroad.

 But I was really listening to the final of the Australian Open Tennis which was incredibly exciting even on radio. I'm thinking I need a subscription to a sports TV channel now that so little is on terrestrial TV. If I bought fewer books I could easily afford it!

**************


This is my way of using a 200g, 59p bag of Essential Range mixed fruit and nuts from Aldi. "ideal for snacking" it says on the packet and they wouldn't take long to eat as a snack, but I use them a different way.

Separated into peanuts, raisons and almonds. The peanuts are enough for two batches of home-made peanut biscuits. The raisons will be chopped and used in the next loaf of spiced fruit loaf made in the bread-machine and the almonds will be blanched, chopped and used for almond biscuits with some drops of almond essence. Although last time I added them to the bag of mixed nuts when I made spiced roast nuts as one of my January treats - mustn't make them again until next January - they are far too more-ish!



It seems a good way to make use of them - better than snacking - (the recipe for the Basic Biscuits is on the separate recipe page - scroll down to almost at the end)

Back Tomorrow
Sue



23 comments:

  1. All sounds delicious. We wondered whether to take out a subscription to watch the tennis as we love to watch it. Sometimes you get the odd match but not this year, ah well soon be tennis here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever they take Wimbledon off the BBC I shall cry!

      Delete
  2. Willa Cather - I had never heard of her till last week. I was reading a knitting book, all hat patterns, and the writer said "this hat is one Willa Cather would be proud of" So I researched her, and yes she loved her hats. I shall seek out her books now.
    Your use of the separated fruit and nut mix is excellent. I used to buy the cheapest tin of fruit cocktail, and sort the fruits then put them in concentric circles in a sponge flan case to make a posh pud for parties. There was always one cherry for the centre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eldest Daughters friend has called her daughter Willa and she is an English teacher so I wonder if she enjoyed the books or taught them or it's just a coincidence.
      I've read three now

      Delete
  3. Hubby's favourite snack, not for me I have a nut allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through the magic of Google search, I just discovered you and your wonderful blog from across the ocean in Franklin, Wisconsin. I was looking for the book by American author Bailey White, "What a Year for Plums" and it took me to one of your blog posts. What a delight you are! Marjorie Pagel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, always lovely to have a new reader. It's a puzzle about the way you got here via a book about plums!
      Hope you carry on reading and enjoy my daily ramblings

      Delete
  5. I'm back to mystery books after my last two non-fiction books that were so interesting but so sad and upsetting to read. I'm reading one in the Agatha Raisin series which are fun but this one seems a bit to frivolous to me. Probably because of those non-fictions that I couldn't put down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried one Agatha Raison when they were first around but decided against reading more - they just seemed a bit silly

      Delete
  6. I will have to look for that Willa Cather book. I enjoyed the others too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was good writer. I shall look out for more

      Delete
  7. Your fruit and nut recipes sound excellent. Spiced roast nuts are one of those treats that are hard to stop eating. I always say, just a few more. Sports TV sounds like a good addition for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your clever use of the mixed nuts and raisins. Excellent frugal planning. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been trying to buy packs of mixed seeds for sprinkling on my. Breakfast but all seem to have some kind of flavouring. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever!
    Catriona, I buy mixed seeds from the baking section rather than the snacks section. They're not flavoured in any way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The semis as well as the final of the tennis was incredibly exciting. So good to see somebody new coming up the ranks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to use up the "snack" mix. Three items for the price of one. I love it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum. The biscuits look lovely. What a great way to use up the snack mix

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a clever woman! You got quite a few snacks from your 59 pence bag of snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I missed this yesterday but must comment as I love to read anything by Willa Cather and also I think your use of the essentials bag of nibbles is very clever.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never thought to separate out a bag of mixed nuts and raisins before. Alan demolishes a bag in one sitting so I guess there's never been time. I remember a couple of times separating out a bag of frozen mixed vegetables when I've been doing a challenge, but I bet you didn't have any problems with icy cold fingers after your separating five minutes. :-)

    ReplyDelete