Wednesday 31 January 2024

Thrifty Living in January

 Hibernating is very good for the bank balance, as is eating from the freezer, and spending was nice and low. 

Income was the usual State and County Council Spouses Pensions, some interest from savings plus just under £20 from Ziffit for a box of books.



The Council Tax and direct debits for charity, broadband and phones plus diesel for the car (twice, once at beginning of month and once right at the end when just under half full) and the monthly electric bill  came to about £360 and I also bought another 5L of screen wash for £2.99 - really needed after all the rain and muddy roads. 

Food spending including restocking things like bags of bread flour and trying different sorts of coffee grounds for my new machine (which I'm loving) although I did buy some items that made 10 more meals for the freezer for February and March which I posted about mid month.

Personal spending was low, (although it's surprising how the £1.50s Keep Moving Group and £3s for swimming add up through the month) until  I had a morning out to Bury St Edmunds last week. Before that there was just a couple of coffees and cheese scones, exercise group, swimming and a new pair of reading glasses because the pair I keep in my handbag for using when out, fell off  my head at the exercise group and snapped the frame - I got some snazzy jazzy coloured ones for under £20. One second-hand poetry book bought for £2.80 (and then some other second hand books for £6).
My morning out took me to Bury St Edmunds for a change of scene and a tour of charity shops where I found 2 tunic tops - one a Joules and the other from Next and spent £21. Very expensive compared to charity shop prices of the past but I rarely see any a good length and it will save me buying new next winter, plus I found a few books - that was the £6. I'll write about them later. I had the bargain breakfast in Greggs for £2.85. (Bacon roll - with plenty of bacon - and large coffee)
Then had a much needed hair cut right at the end of the month - but as usual just had the cheapest available.

There's a market stall in Diss every Friday that has wild bird feed much cheaper than anywhere else so I stocked up on a ginormous bag of dried meal worms - which still wasn't enough for the month due to the blinkin'  starlings -  and a couple more suet blocks. I shopped at Morrisons while I was there and regretted it - should have gone to Aldi first because Morrisons prices seemed to have gone up again and there were several gaps on the shelves.
The window cleaner turned up on a cold day, always good for a chat as he knows everyone and everything about this village and actually lives in my last village so knows all about there too. It might be called gossiping but I think of it as gathering information!
Some money was spent on the garden because I went out to get a couple of bags of Multi Purpose compost and one of seed compost so I'm right ready to start, my seeds arrived earlier in the month. I bough a new Niger seed feeder for the birds while I was there as I'd got some Niger seed left and nothing to put it in. Perhaps I'll now see Goldfinches.
Finally it's MG's 4th birthday next week so there was a birthday present to buy.

Frugal things done this month

  • Nothing bought in January sales
  • Choosing the right days to do the washing and hang it out (tumble dryer used just twice during January) and finishing on radiators.
  • Mixing milk half and half with water
  • Batch cooking pastry cases to go in freezer
  • Reading library books and books from my shelves all month
  • Using bread-maker for all bread.
  • Checking through clothes to see what I need to look for in charity shops this year
  • Avoiding buying things like alcohol, jewellery, makeup etc
  • Managed to sort the boiler again when low water pressure stopped the heating from working
  • No longer buying coffee sachets 
  • Back to drinking tea once a day instead of  one of my coffees
  • Able to get ½ dozen free range eggs  for £1.25 from a farm when I go swimming -instead of £2+ at the supermarket.
  • Made sure money in Building Society had a bonus added for the next year when the old year finished.
  • Moved some money into ISA
  • Only using dishwasher every other day.
  • Shutting curtains as soon as it's dark to keep heat in.
  • Getting up late enough to not need lights in the morning!
  • Not going far so using less diesel in the car.

In February I have to buy heating oil and pay the half year bills for water supply and sewerage and as the boiler has ceased up YET AGAIN (hot water OK but no heating -just like last time)there will be a repair bill for that. Still no car boot sales so I might have a morning out to a different town for the charity shops. I'll still be eating lots of my home made ready meals from the freezer and there's no Council Tax in February which helps - although I expect we will hear it's gone up when it starts again in April. 

Thank you to everyone for comments about the Mistle Thrush photos. I was lucky to be in the right place to get a good photo.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

22 comments:

  1. If ordinary people like you and me can manage to budget, why can't my MP manage on £118 a year? In his interview he referred to his second wife, so perhaps he has a big alimony bill. Nevertheless I have very little sympathy for him. Well done on the ISA top up. Mine was depleted to fund the car purchase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very lucky to have money in savings thanks to downsizing and inheritance - some people have nothing to fall back on. As for MPs !

      Delete
  2. It's the unforeseen events that make hay of our finances, so it's always comforting to have a buffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Downsizing home was very good for have some savings.

      Delete
  3. Like you, we are also oil. Do you consider your month electric high?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My winter electric tends to be around £65 to £75 a month - too much TV! and a lot more than a few years ago.
      Difficult to work out oil but I think about 1,250lts per year. I don't skimp on keeping warm anymore

      Delete
  4. I am retired early Sue , and my husband died in March, so am adjusting to a new ( and sad ) life , and find it difficult to have to make budget decisions on my own - it’s always good to have a partner to decide with
    My spending is dreadful- I have a small occupational pension, plus my husbands pension ( reduced to 50%) following his death . I know I am lucky and should feel grateful as I own the house outright , have no debt and have savings , but it all feels so empty without him
    This month I helped my daughter buy a new to her car as she passed her driving test - and visited my son to find his kitchen in chaos - he was not well
    and his dishwasher had broken down - so I paid for a new one and said this was his birthday gift for the year
    Then my downstairs loo stopped working and it looks like I have a serious drain problem , requiring a few meters of drains to be replaced . I hate the thought of that - and it will be several thousand pounds but there is no option
    I admire how you live a busy life and wish I could be more like that .

    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nearly 6 years for me so much longer but still sometimes feeling sad and hollow.
      I keep busy as that's the best thing for me and as I did many things on my own when Colin was alive it isn't very different in some ways although I miss holidays together - there were many places we wanted to visit.
      Hope you get the drains sorted soon without too much hassle. It wasn't too bad when I had the en-suite altered and up dated but I was glad when they had finished

      Delete
    2. I wondered if the drain problem could be solved via your insurance?
      It would lift you if the financial worry was taken care of.

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed by your continued sensible spending. I don't mind trying to be more frugal but what is more difficult are the unexpected ( mostly unexpected anyway 😀 ) expenses. For instance I had my eyes tested today, and need a new pair. Even buying budget frames and cutting out extras like anti glare the cheapest I can get are £199 - I wear varifocals so don't want to risk buying online. The opticians do offer interest free paying, might have to do that to spread the cost.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm often wondering what will be the thing that costs unexpected money - something always happens every year.
      Thankfully I only need reading glasses so can pick them up anywhere although some cheap ones are rubbish. I like to have coloured frames for cheerfulness.

      Delete
  6. I am impressed. You live comfortably and buy what you want/need and everything works well. Surprisingly, our gas prices are at a low of $2.29 to 2.39/gallon. Prices seem to vary lately but this is better than the $3+ earlier. Food prices are rising again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are being told that some food prices are coming down - but I've not noticed yet

      Delete
  7. Yellow Shoes

    I always like to read your month-end budget roundups.
    I got rid of my tumbler dryer years ago - a free standing dryer and radiators have to do the job till it gets warm enough to hang outside which I really look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hanging clothes out whenever I can - much better

      Delete
  8. Well done, it is good to have the expenses and savings written down to know where the money goes.
    We have sent the meter readings for the gas and electricity, we pay £118 a month and started winter with a small credit.
    We both had colds so haven’t used the car much, just £47 spent on petrol.
    We have been using our freezer and pantry stores, so the grocery bill has been lower. I bought cheeses in the sales to freeze, and made butter from the reduced price cream, and froze that.
    DH has made the bread, and I made the weekly cake.
    We sold surplus eggs, making £8 in January, towards the poultry layers pellets.
    The dog has had her check up and vaccinations which were covered by Vacs4Life, which cost £100 eleven years ago.
    The Hospital Saturday Fund covered 75% of DH’s dental and chiropody bills, and will help towards his new glasses.
    I have been reading and listening to library books online, and old books, out of copyright, free on The Open Library.
    We are not buying any clothes or shoes this year, I am not going to look at the sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound very organised and frugal. I'm glad I always know what I've spent on everything and choosing the best ways to economise

      Delete
  9. Some great ideas which I will try! I was able to say "Same here" to quite a few of your frugal things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great frugal month you had. Good for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't seem like a too bad month. I'm quite pleased that I haven't spent as much as I usually do but then I haven't been much of anywhere lol. I hope to continue on and maybe get better when I get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sue, I laughed at the saving power by staying in bed late!! Brilliant!!

    I'm glad I'm past the stage of equipping children for a new school year (here in New Zealand they've started school this week). For many parents the expenses of uniforms, stationery, iPads and the like must be a huge burden.

    Because it's summer we too are eating produce from the garden, albeit small in our case. It's lovely to know our food is fresh, unpolluted by chemicals and doesn't have unnecessary 'food miles' attached. I needed raspberries for a dessert with friends last week, and, for heaven's sake, ALL the varieties available were imported. We grow heaps of raspberries!! Why export them, only to import them from places like Chile and Europe? It doesn't make sense. (Here endeth the Rant!)

    I don't think I've made any great savings this month, but I have been aware of sales, and stocked up on a couple of presents at vastly reduced prices. Then I have to remember what I've bought, and where I hid it!! Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you list having a lie-in as a way to save money ... good for you. I just put the under kitchen cupboard lights on while I'm making a drink and the table lamp in the living room end on both morning and evening, but the lighter mornings will be so much nicer won't they. I'll also be glad to be able to dry clothes outside again soon, it's been too cold and damp here for a long time, so it's just been my one available radiator and the airer in the bedroom to get things dry. But I manage and it saves a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete