Tuesday 30 January 2024

Mistle Thrush

 Walking back through the churchyard last week after taking the photos of various houses I spotted this fella sitting on a gravestone. This is at full zoom and as I tried to get closer he hopped onto another stone further away.




I've seen him hopping about in the lower half of the burial ground before but to be close enough to get a photo was a treat.

I looked in my book  'A Sparrows Life as Sweet as Ours'  to see Carrie Ackroyds Illustration and to read



the facing page about them by John McEwen. McEwen says that The Mistle Thrush (Turdus viscivorus, 'mistletoe gorger') was given it's name  in the C17 by Sir Thomas Browne.
It's local name in some places is 'Stormcock' as it is known to sing from a treetop whatever the weather from November through to June.

Raising his voice as the gusts still roared
A speckled Mistle thrush told me clear,
That harvest was garnered, that apples were stored,
That summer was ended, that autumn was here.

from Stormcock by Bill Humphries

Back Tomorrow
Sue

19 comments:

  1. Looking at blogs early this morning and what a treat to see these - gorgeous photo and lovely illustration of such an elusive , pretty bird. TQ
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have done very well with the photos you managed to get of this lovely bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful picture Sue! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrushes of all sorts are quite elusive here. I haven't seen any redwings this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful bird and a beautiful name x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful wee bird! Well done on getting a great photo :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very fine photo of a thrush. You lucky person having one sing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect photos almost as though he was 'sitting' for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant photo, you did well to capture it before he moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of a wonderful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos, anytime I try to take photos of birds they've gone by the time I get the camera on my phone to work! We often used to see song thrushes at our last house, no mistle thrushes though. Well, I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You captured a great portrait photo of the bird. It looks poised.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great photo! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute photo. It looks almost like the thrush posed for you with a look that said hurry up I want to move.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice post! Thank you. I am off to see if I can hear that little bird's call.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, those pictures are amazing! What a cute little birdie!

    ReplyDelete