Saturday 18 September 2021

Looking But Not Buying

Viewing for the 3rd Domestic and Rural Bygones Sale of the year at Clarke and Simpsons sale-yard at Campsea Ashe yesterday, so after looking online I went to have a look at the real thing.
 
As usual there were lots of rusty stuff and junk with just a few interesting bits. These are the things that caught my eye.
 
 I'm always attracted to old gingerbread moulds - they are fascinating, this is described as "An amusing primitive antique carved treen cat gingerbread mould"

This little stool looks old

 

A collection of kitchenalia......except for the hair trimmers and  bedpan! Somehow I don't think the cheese wheel lid fits on the base that it's sitting on do you?

A child's pink unicycle?? very unique I should think

A very early "Washing Machine". The lever moves the posser or dolly up and down. I've seen plenty of wash tubs, possers, dollys, tongs and wash boards but never seen anything like this before. The wash tub is up on a metal stand to save bending - it must have been a real "mod con" for someone in the past.

 

2 rocking horses - one much older than the other

I could do with these old lawn edgings to replace the grotty plastic edging that's here

These croquet sets  are always turning up on the TV antiques programmes - Jaques are the name that make them the best for selling.

A very old - Victorian ? or Edwardian?- garden cloche and on the left is a copper posser - as mentioned above

 

You would need a very large pond for this pond yacht!

 

There were several boxes of old books, cards and postcards, these looked as if they all been torn out of an album.

Stuffed animals or Taxidermy is not every ones cup of tea. This is much bigger than usual and the chance of seeing a pheasant and her chicks so close to a fox is very unlikely!!

Another model boat,Venture, it says Cranfields Ltd, Ipswich (Cranfields were a grain buying/storage company with their own bakeries) so maybe this is modeled on the real thing from back in the day.


 

Another collection of Kitchenalia

 
Some of the rustier things in the sale although I like the big pottery basin  - everything will sell even if it is rusty. 
 
These below were more interesting to me than old watering cans and milk churns - an old farm yard with lots of mostly lead animals- it reminded me of my childhood farm and I had many of these animals. This was guided at £40-£60


 
Now this sign below is my most favourite thing in the whole sale! I would love to buy it.  It was estimated at £40 - £60 but online bidding was already at £90 when I looked on Friday I expect it will go for several £100.
 
And Finally the biggest thing in the sale is this massive Airstream caravan - you don't see many of these in the UK! It's guide price is around £22,000


The sale starts at 9am today and with over 1000 lots will still be going in the early afternoon. So if you are looking at this early you could go online at The Saleroom.com and register to buy something.
I shall leave all the buying to others!

This weekend after no Yard/Garage sales for ages two come along at once. Thorndon last weekend and a few miles in the other direction it's Finningham today.Another thing to look forward to is a bit of glitz and glitter with the return of Strictly Come Dancing tonight.
Have a good weekend.
 
Back Monday
Sue

45 comments:

  1. What a gloriously random collection. I was picnicking with friends at Eaton Park in Norwich recently - it has a wonderful lake for model boats. How I'd love to sail those two beauties there. I wonder what became of my model farm and its animals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my model farm . The base with sheds fixed was homemade by someone. It lasted a while and I still have a few plastic animals but the lead ones are long gone

      Delete
    2. I loved mine too. It is with great regret that when we cleared mum's house I got rid of it a few year's ago. I have a few plastic animals with my crib now. Out of all the things we let go it is the model farm that I miss most.

      Delete
  2. I love wandering around salerooms!
    The pottery basin is called a pan, short for pancheon btw. I wonder where that one was made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those, my dad used it to make wine. I grow flowers in it!

      Delete
    2. I had no idea they had a proper name. I always think of them as cream settling bowls from a dairy

      Delete
  3. Such an assortment of items and I would have loved to had been there. Kitchenware always interests me.
    The weather looks good today and my GS is coming this morning so I must find him a few jobs.
    Have a good weekend Sue and others.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had the right sort of kitchen to display kitchenalia - sadly

      Delete
  4. Lovely post about a fascinating sale. It looks like Philip Serrell heaven!
    When we were children, we had our mother's old farm animals to play with; lead, like yours. No buildings but fences and fuzzy trees.
    These days, I find some of my kitchen equipment would count as vintage kitchenalia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my farm, we could buy the animals one at a time from a local toyshop

      Delete
  5. I remember my mother getting her first posher - we were thrilled with how modern it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found a copper posser in a shed at the smallholding, I don't know where it went

      Delete
  6. I could go or some of those bits and bobs too. What a fantastic selection.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All sorts here - the good the weird and the junk!

      Delete
  7. I have to admit it is the first time I've encountered the word 'kitchenalia', or an Airstream caravan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just went to an Antique museum at the Tunbridge Fair in Vermont and much of what you shared would have fit right in the exhibits there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the things for sale deserve to be in a museum and others certainly don't!

      Delete
  9. I am choking back my envy! This is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few interesting bits and bobs out of over 1,000 lots. They'll have another Bygones sale there in the spring

      Delete
  10. I LOVE old things...this looks like a wonderful sale! We have a similar one here, set on a farm belonging to our vet, called The Rural Society. And the Airstream, wow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sale yard there has a sale every Monday with all the normal house furnishing etc but I like their rural bygones sale best - 3 each year

      Delete
  11. How fun! It is interesting to look through all of the old things - like visiting a museum! Good you kept your money in your pocket and saved it for your future boot sale bargains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always interesting to go and look round before the sale but the car boot sale bargains are better!

      Delete
  12. oh what a wonderful sale, I shall have to look to see if we have anything like that near us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This fantastic sale had a bit of nearly everything. The gingerbread mold is very tempting and I've never seen one like it. I prefer estate or yard sales with set/negotiable pricing vs. the bidding auction type sale. The model farm would be great to have as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the best thing is that they'll have 3 more sales next year with another collection of interesting things!

      Delete
  14. Some interesting entries that you picked out. I wonder what the Airstream will go for? Saw one used for an Airbnb on tv recently.

    I always like to look at Kitchenalia - the weirder the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have the sort of kitchen to display some of the interesting bits of kitchenalia.

      Delete
  15. That sale must have been fun to just walk around and see everything. I love the old gingerbread mold and the farm set. I had a farm set when I was young that I loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going just to look at all the interesting bits and bobs but some of the prices things sell for are a surprise

      Delete
  16. All looks very interesting. I like the look of the old cards and such. They would be good to use in memory books or a junk journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box I photoed looked interesting - would love to know why someone tore them out of a scrapbook

      Delete
  17. You always find the most interesting things at these sales.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of junk that I don't bother to photograph!

      Delete
  18. That is some set of interesting items to look at - and I am really glad that washing machines have improved over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me Too! but I guess moving that lever up and down would be a good workout

      Delete
  19. My son in law and grandson had looked round the sale on Friday and GS wanted to buy the anvil so we watched a few lots go live yesterday (online) but the anvil went for more than he wanted to pay. My husband used to go there every week when there were animals for auction. When he was no longer able to drive our daughter would take him just to have a cuppa and a bacon roll with the other old chaps that used to go for a chat. Campsea Ashe was like a second home to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin always wanted to buy an anvil and went to many farm sales but they always went for a lot of money so he never owned one. When we were at the smallholding in Knodishall we used to take our old chickens there when they'd finished laying. I think they sold for dog food!!

      Delete
  20. What a wonderful selection of things, if money were no object I would have to go for the Airstream, but I think the old glass cloche would be more in my price range. I have a couple of modern replicas that somehow survived the house move and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked to see what the Airstream made but it didn't sell - guess it had a reserve that wasn't met

      Delete
  21. Well I quite enjoyed looking along with you. Thanks for sharing so many of those treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just love a good rummage...some real treasures for someone. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would have bid on the edging in a heartbeat. Love those.

    ReplyDelete