Saturday 11 September 2021

Summing Up a Week in September

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions yesterday about the patio. It shouldn't need doing again until spring and then I'll borrow my pressure washer back from BiL and clean it as well as weeding.

 Now, looking back at  Sunday to Friday..............

 As well as the Bug Hotels I got from the last Sunday's car-boot sale the only other things bought were these...... 3 cards ready for the Grandchildren's birthdays at 20p each and the Bee Skep shaped honey pot for £1 - no idea why this appealed although I'd just been looking at some local honey someone was selling (or hoping to sell) for £6 for a 250g/½ lb jar and thinking Blimey.....is that expensive or is that what it costs now?.............. which must have made me buy the little pot................like subliminal advertising!

That was last Sunday so what else have I done this week as well as enjoying those three days of real heat on Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday?

A bit of Nanna duty on Monday after making some jam. Shopping as usual, with Morrisons still looking well stocked although a tour of the charity shops in Diss yielded nothing.

More garden tidying has been done and a bit more soil shifted from the bag out the front around to the vegetable beds.
 
Still loads of Red Admiral butterflies on the Buddleia, more than a dozen at once sometimes. I can (almost) see why some Victorians wanted to catch butterflies and pin them in a glass case to look at all year. It seems so cruel now, but of course they didn't have photographs so it was the only way to capture a bit of summer.

 

 This week I've been grateful for
  • Those days of sun and warmth after all the dull of the previous week
  • A haircut
  • Gift of a Sweetcorn Cob and a Cucumber from BiL
  • My runner beans are producing at last. Considering how late they were sown, how cold the weather went just afterwards and how few actually grew I'm very happy to get even a few meals from them

 


 
 
 
 There are two things happening this weekend - apart from boot-sales. A village garage/yard sale not far from home and there's an old tractor run through the village on Sunday which I thought Youngest Grandson would like so they are coming over to watch them go by. I think he will be astonished to see so many.

Have a lovely weekend with good weather for whatever you are doing. I shall be back Monday.
Sue

 

20 comments:

  1. I do admire the way you always manage to list things that you are grateful for each week Sue. Enjoy the tractor run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think grandson will enjoy the charity tractor run more than me!

      Delete
  2. It sounds a lot for honey to me, but I'm not a great honey eater and when we had hives on our land, were given the most amazing honey from them as rent (couldn't be more local). Here's a link: https://www.theapiarist.org/honey-pricing/ - it makes it sound more value for money. The trouble with the supermarket stuff is it is blended, and the cheaper stuff made up with corn oil syrup. I like your little honey pot.

    Can I ask what brand of greenhouse you went for as I am looking to buy one now (having had a good fair last weekend).

    Hope that everyone enjoys the old tractor run, and you have some good finds sat the boot sales and yard sale. The one we were going to sell it (still trying to get rid of Stuff) is going to be deluged off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to buy a new jar soon so will see how much it is at the other places that sell local honey - like a market stall in Stowmarket

      Delete
    2. Oh and my Greenhouse is just a Halls Basic - nothing fancy.

      Delete
  3. They charge £8.50 for local honey here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cards were really a good buy not worth making your own. Your grandson will enjoy the tractors. I hope to go to several open gardens on Sunday with my D & GD.
    I picked loads of damsons from my tree yesterday for my neighbor she makes jam and sells it for her charity.
    Enjoy your weekend Sue and everyone.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a lovely day visiting the gardens.
      Have a good weekend

      Delete
  5. As I take honey for medicinal purposes I am regularly given local honey by my brother as a gift but I note from honey at the gate around here it is £5 to £6 for a standard jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. £6 for a pound jar is OK the carboot sale ones were much smaller. - if I can't find any locally I'll have to get you to bring me a jar when we next meet

      Delete
  6. Lovely runner beans - there's nothing like them fresh picked and cooked. So delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to have something from my garden this year and nothing better than really fresh

      Delete
  7. Our beans have been quite late too but worth the wait, they are very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be able to have some a bit earlier next year now I'm organised and hopefully I'll remember to sow some later as well

      Delete
  8. Honey costs between 6-15 dollars in the US (small, medium and large jars). A beekeeper friend says costs have risen because many beekeepers lost hives. Your green beans will be delicious. I would love to see the tractor run. In my experience, adding soil to the garden is heavy work but will reward you ten fold. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few years ago we were lucky to be having Christmas at my daughters house she said go to the charity shop and buy some books. It is lovely when your children understand recycling. We live abroad and miss lots of the grandchildren’s big events, so Christmas with the family was a blessing. We always pay money into the grandchildren’s account, but you cannot turn up on Christmas Day with nothing.



    ReplyDelete
  10. The price of our honey has gone up quite a bit in the past two years also. I always buy local honey and they say the number of bees have been decreasing causing the price increase. Your photograph of the Red Admiral butterfly is beautiful. Enjoy the tractor run. I'm sure your grandson will love it!

    ReplyDelete