Thursday 16 September 2021

Wild Fruit Syrup

Several years ago I made Elderberry Rob, so good for winter colds.

 I doubt there would have been a better opportunity to snip the Elderberries from a tree on the bank opposite the bungalow than the week the road was closed. There wasn't really enough Elderberries so went on a bike ride around the back lanes to see if there was anything else to add in.

I ended up with just around a pound and a quarter of a mix of elderberries, some blackberries and a few yellow cherry-plums from a tree overhanging the road and the only 2 red cherry-plums that weren't squashed on the road.

 
 I popped them in the freezer and later found a few more elderberries and blackberries until I had about 2lb in total. This is the recipe I used in 2018 and 2019


This time I remembered to add a cinnamon stick to the boiling fruit - cinnamon is good for colds too.
 
After straining
 
and adding an equal amount of sugar and boiling gently for 5 minutes, then into sterilized bottles it made 4 and a bit kilner bottles.

I tried a little in some hot water and it's just as good as I remember.

I'm pleased to have this tucked away for winter and two for the Christmas Hamper gifts too.

Back Tomorrow
Sue
 

18 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious. I use elderberries to make compote now - I used to get myself in such a mess trying to make syrup :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make this every year but elderberries are becoming so scarce - they are currently being investigated by scientists in Europe for their ability to help our immune system with cold/flu virus I have heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've just made a batch of elderberry wine, first taste was very good but it has to mature for a few months now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks and sounds absolutely delicious!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i make this regularly too and like to add some rosehips as well, good for vitamin C

    ReplyDelete
  6. We make it occasionally this year will be one. I think we add cinnamon and a few cloves and a tablespoon of brandy per bottle. Lovely stuff especially as a hot drink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a lovely bike ride and had lots of berries and had a good drink to do you good in the winter.
    It seems you had like me a lovely day in the sunshine yesterday. I did get some good bargains in the garden section of Morrisons (they have added a big new section) and hopefully i can replant where needed today.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  8. Al you need now is a cold to try it oul. Knowing our climate one will drift your way eventually but if it doesn't then I am sure you can find an excuse to try it out on a cold winter's night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the cold the other week - before I'd made the syrup! but with grandchildren out and about I'm bound to get another

      Delete
  9. Your pure and natural syrup for medicinal use throughout the winter months is excellent. Fruit growing in the wild often has been growing for a long time and the flavor is outstanding. Blackberries off a nearby road to me have been excellent and I've enjoyed them. Unfortunately, someone recently decided to spray them with toxic weed killer and they stand terribly wilted. I would have dug them up and moved them to my property if they were unwanted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found you through another blogger...what fun to visit and look through your older posts. I don't see elderberries here (the USA) I'll have to keep my eyes open for them though...with cold and flu season coming up, that might be just what we need! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you for visiting, hope you like reading my wafflings!

      Delete
  11. I remember you making this in previous years. You are wise to have it ready in case any colds come your way this winter. I'm sure it will be appreciated in the Christmas Hampers too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been very productive. We didn't even get around to picking elderflowers or blackberries this year. We've made jam from our raspberries...that's it. Hopefully we'll manage a little more next year. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still plenty of blackberries about - they are late this year

      Delete
  13. That sounds lovely and will be a wonderful addition to the hampers.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds wonderful! You have reminded me that I want to buy a bottle of Ribena. Mom always added the concentrate to some boiled water when we had a sore throat - I expect it was the Vit. C and I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely...We planted a self sown elder bush in our tree from one of our large tubs...this year it has grown to at least 15ft. I snipped just a few of the flowers for cordial, so we do have a few precious berries to use or leave for the birds. x

    ReplyDelete