Wednesday 1 September 2021

September Country Days

 Thank you to everyone for some lovely comments and memories about Ladybird books. Sorry I didn't get round to replying. I was doing some Nana duty which involved a lot of driving and playing shops with the new cash register - which was a huge hit - especially the microphone bit. Certainly worth the 50p!

Luckily I'd already prepared today's post for the 1st September.....................


There are lots of poems titled 'September'. I thought it amusing that some see September as Brown.......

 SEPTEMBER

Now everyday the bracken browner grows,
Even the purple stars
Of clematis,that shone about the bars,
Grow browner; and the little autumn rose
Dons, for her rosy gown,
Sad weeds of brown.
 
Now falls the eve; and ere the morning sun,
Many a flower her sweet life will have lost,
Slain by the bitter frost,
Who slays the butterflies also, one by one,
The tiny beasts
That go about their business and their feasts.

                         Mary Coleridge ( 1861-1907)



And others see September as Golden...........
 
SEPTEMBER
Golden in the garden,
Golden in the glen,
Golden, golden, golden
September's here again!
Golden in the tree tops,
Golden in the sky—
Golden, golden, golden
September's going by!
                                                         
                                                                   Annette Wynne (writing between 1919 and 1922)

Both of these little poems are classed as children's poetry. I think that just means they are shorter and get their point across without waffle!



Fair on the first of September, fair for the whole month
 
 The 1st of the month marks the start of meteorological autumn, astronomically Autumn doesn't begin until Mabon or the  Autumn Equinox on the 22nd....................... So you choose.
 The word autumn comes from Latin autumnus and it's use dates back to the C14.  Both words..... Autumn and Fall...... were used in this country until the C18. Then we stopped using Fall while other parts of the world didn't use the word Autumn at all. 

The Anglo-Saxons called September Gerstmonarth meaning  'barley month'.

Below is a lovely colourful page from my little book mentioned last month HERE



 


It is said that the three days 20th, 21st and 22nd rule the weather for the next 3 months
(seems a bit unlikely!)


There are so many weather sayings for September........ many of them connected to St Michael's Day on the 29th. 
 
As many days old as the moon is on Michaelmas Day, so many floods shall we have after.
 
 
If St. Michael brings many acorns Christmas will cover the fields with snow.
(also unlikely nowadays) 

 

 

As I'm now a bit short of ideas for blog posts - it's probably best to take a few days off rather than waffle on about nothing.

So back in a day or 3
Sue

 

 

 

.

10 comments:

  1. So interesting facts about September hope we have a nice month weather wise.
    Lovely to hear the children enjoyed the toys you brought.
    I have to go and have an X-ray at the hospital today on my knee, the doctor ask me on the phone about it and then I got an appointment about 2 weeks ago. What I could not understand why did the doctor look at my knee before I went to the hospital.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  2. You prompted me to look up the meaning of the word "autumnus".
    I love to discover new facts so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think of Autumn and September when gardens are decked early morning with mist and spider's webs. Love all those old sayings which hardly ever come true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is certainly colourful - anything but brown and the hedgerows are a delight at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is a favorite season of mine! I love the cooler weather and the colorful leaves. I will get out this morning for a hike to see what changes I can spot! Thanks for this fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have such interesting information on the first of each month! I love the Fall or Autumn, we use both names here. Our days are still quite warm but we will start seeing changes in October. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your seasonal nature/ poetry/ astronomy posts like this one. Esp love the books and illustrations you show us. btw the older Ladybird book, I thin Fall or Winter, was almost $600.oo used, in the US on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What interesting monthly tidbits. I love these posts.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Playing shop and using the new toy cash register made a very nice day for your grandchild. Your September poems are lovely. Autumn is one of my favorite seasons largely because of the coolness, muted colors, and the plantings preparing for their winter sleep. Today, it's cool and raining with remnants of hurricane Ida. June through November are considered hurricane season for Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes I think "children's poetry" is much nicer than the "serious" stuff!
    Enjoy your few days off blogging, and do something you love :) xx

    ReplyDelete