Tuesday 7 September 2021

Still on the Same Subject as Yesterday

 Thank you to everyone for comments yesterday. So much more rubbish going into bins now than 60 years ago and even more than  back in the days when a  dustbin was literally only for dust and ash.

And a message for Viv commenting as Country Cottage. As you are only two miles away you've probably worked out where I am so call in if you go by and say hello!

 

More about Zero Waste Week and using less plastic.

Last week I remembered to go and look at the Choose Refills van when it visited the village. They've been in business from early spring and stop by the playing field once a month. I've been meaning to visit since moving here.



I picked up a price list and bought a wooden dish-washing brush - which has replaceable heads.
 

 
I'm already getting loo rolls wrapped in paper delivered, no waste Smol dishwasher tablets also come through the post in a cardboard pack. I use Washing Soda + Ecover laundry liquid for clothes and Ecover washing up liquid when not using the dishwasher. I use knitted dish cloths and bicarb and white vinegar for cleaning.
The van has started doing some food things now too but not things I use although I'll probably get white vinegar from them as long as it's food grade.
I've written about other "planet friendly" things in posts labelled Small steps to a smaller footprint but I reckon not flying anywhere is the easiest thing I do on the list of Good Ideas to Save the Planet!
 
Day one challenge for Zero Waste Week was to share the information ✔ Done by blogging about it.
 
Back Tomorrow 
Sue

11 comments:

  1. Thanks Sue, I'll be sure to try and stop by one day 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter lives as plastic-free as she can. I have tried to do the same but I do get bogged down with some of it but her thought is that it is better for a million people to make 1 change each than for 1 person to try to do 1 million changes. She amazes me with her wisdom at times.
    I am a similar age to you Sue and also live on my own so enjoy your blog. I am looking forward to my first state pension payment on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now only use my dishwasher when I have visitors and to save on washing up liquid I stack my few dishes and only wash up once a day. It is a start I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm using the same plastic spray (household cleaner) bottle for 4+ years, the same plastic laundry detergent tub, dishwasher soap tub, liquid hand soap pumps, etc. ... and just buy refills. Plastic peanut butter jars and (cake) frosting tubs get washed well and used to store homemade broth in the freezer door. Rewashed and reused regularly, until they eventually go in the recycle bin. I've recycled for more than 30 years. Our recycle bin is twice the size of the trash bin. If you don't mind my saying, the cost of some of those products seems steep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That van is a great idea and it's handy that you have a list of what they sell and the prices now. I use the Smol laundry things, they smell great and do a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've cut back a LOT on plastic. I don't know that it will ever be 100 percent out of our lives, but it is much better than before. It just makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressed you are doing so much to reduce your footprint

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's tough to do much but every bit helps. I don't order anything online which I see as a big source of unneeded packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recycle using the bins but the efficiencies are still lacking. I'm sure I can make more improvements in my own home as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete