Monday 11 October 2021

So What Excitement Did I Find?

 On Saturday I said it needed to be an exciting weekend so as to have something to write about. Nothing very exciting happened but I'll write about it anyway.

It started with a visit to the car-boot sale of course and typically, as I'd not bothered to go early, there were more people selling than many other Saturdays......wonder if I missed any treasures?

I bought a witches hat and broom for 50p each - (these are for me! ready for Halloween as apparently its a big thing in the village so I thought I'd better join in!), 3 Christmas doodling books for the oldest grandchildren for £1 each ( I suppose I should have bought 5 ) and a quad bike toy to go in the car box for 50p - something different for youngest Grandson to find when he next visits.

 

Next stop was the garden centre for a couple of bags of compost for the place where the three Minarette apple trees will go and I had a voucher in my purse for a free coffee in the cafe. Had to add a cheese scone of course as I'd not had breakfast.


 Then after a quick trip into town I went home. Where I found BiL had left the crowbar outside the front door so after my lunch I lifted the 5 slabs and wiggled them out of the way. Now I've got to wait for my garden waste bin to be emptied today because the wheelbarrow is full of rose prunings waiting to go in the bin and I need the wheelbarrow to put the sand in that was under the slabs, so I can shift it elsewhere (?)(long sentence!). Then it will just be a case of cutting out the weed suppressant membrane and putting the compost in where the sand was and waiting for the trees to arrive.(well done if you followed that)

This is the "halfway through the job" photo

Sunday was Eldest Granddaughters 5th birthday party, I got a ride over to the coast with  Son, DiL and the two smallest grandchildren. Youngest daughter had invited most of the reception class! but there were even more children there  than she was expecting.Luckily it was at a social club in a big space so there was plenty of room for the bouncy castle, all the parents and too many small people  but............  it was a bit LOUD! DiL said she wouldn't be doing the same for Youngest Granddaughter's birthday and I don't blame her one bit!

Back Tomorrow
Sue

 

26 comments:

  1. I don't blame her either - those whole class parties are overwhelming (for the adults - the children seem to manage).
    I like what you've done with that space. When it's all done and the little trees are in, it will look really lovely! And manageable amounts of fruit in due course too. Perfect.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the children enjoyed it, not sure Granddaughter knew who everyone was!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see pictures of you in your witches hat sitting on your broom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had grandson for a few hours of slave labour this weekend so im making progress with various jobs . He was up a ladder cutting the tops of the big hedge when a horrified neighbour come across and commented . Hes 12 stands nearly 6ft and hes been grandmas willing garden slave for years , he likes being a useful male...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope youngest grandson will do the same for me - need to wait a while as he's not 2 until February :-)

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a busy weekend and I bet your grand-daughter's 5th birthday party was a rumbustious affair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was extremely loud but I think the children enjoyed it

      Delete
  5. Sounds an interesting weekend and a few good buys.
    I bet.you cannot wait until the trees arrive, I had a couple of those little apple trees and I got quite a lot of apples of them. - delious. Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to struggle to dig holes for the trees as the ground has been under slabs for several years, Plenty of time to get it sorted

      Delete
  6. It will be interesting to know what goes on in the village for adults at Halloween.

    For a few years my eldest Grand-daughter's birthdy parties were Superheroes themed in Sports Halls with the children dressing up as their hero. It was quite interesting at first trying to guess who they were, (apart from the obvious more common ones). I'm not a Superhero fan so only know Batman, Superman, Spiderman and Wonder Woman.

    You have a lot of work ahead of you before planting your fruit trees. Still you don't have to do it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the usual trick or treat with children going round but I thought I'd dress up to open the door - just need a witches mask!

      Delete
  7. We are headed to a family Halloween party next weekend. It is usually lots of fun and we all dress up. Kid parties I am surprised that they all wanted to gather with Covid. But they are always loud
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everyone doesn't catch Covid, hopefully the size of the room and having the doors open to outside will have helped.

      Delete
  8. A busy weekend with grandchildren and gardening! Once the trees are in you can look forward to the fruit they'll someday produce. Love the little activity books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to make the garden as productive as possible in a small space.
      The childrens doodle books were from someone who sells new things probably shop clearance and at £1 each were a bargain as the price printed on the back for original selling is £4.99

      Delete
  9. You have inspired me to start checking out resale shops for grandchildren's gifts. You certainly have found many treasures for them to enjoy without spending too much. The kids don't care about the cost and you get to surprise them with what you find.
    Thanks! and good luck with the yard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will come a day when all the grandchildren will want for presents is money or things like computer games so I'm making the most of these early years where they don't mind!

      Delete
  10. Very nicely done preparing for the apple trees. Making land as productive as as possible is a goal I share with you. B-day parties are quite elaborate today. No more "pin the tail on the donkey" followed by cake and ice cream. It is nice that the children enjoyed themselves. I'm cutting back all perennials in prep for winter. It's a busy time of year in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parties were much easier years ago - I tried to avoid organising too many!
      I;ve been cutting back perennials too

      Delete
  11. The problem with kids birthday parties - you swear blind you wont do another one then you forget and suddenly you are organising and arranging the next party and the more involved you get the more you remember what you said last time! (my two were 6 months apart and seemed to forget between each birthday how exhausting they were!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youngest daughter loves a good party - she even organised her own 18th all those years ago!

      Delete
  12. I did follow that long sentence and I understood perfectly! Right now I am waiting for the trash to be picked up Wednesday because the bin is full and I have a pile of stuff waiting to go in. I started a new compost bin (which I don't really have room for) because it was easier than trying to get rid of some of the garden debris. We had our first frost last night. Today we (and that is mostly me) are moving all of the patio furniture under cover for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I;ve nearly filled the garden waste bin all over again since it was emptied on Monday!
      I think I do have room for another small Dalek compost bin so might get another although I'm not very good at making compost

      Delete
  13. I always loved hosting birthday parties---attending them, not so much.

    That doesn't look like enough space for five apple trees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 Minarette Apple trees. They grow straight up on one main stem and can be 2 feet apart

      Delete