Tuesday 14 December 2021

Advent Photos 2021. December 14th and The Christmas Cards

Below is a picture of what is thought to be one of the first  commercial cards sent dating from 1843. Designed by John Calcott Horsley RA. after 1,000 were commissioned by his friend Henry Cole

The first commercially produced Christmas card, sent by John Calcott Horsley to Sir Henry Cole in 1843

 - a very important and busy man (including founding the Victoria and Albert Museum and being assistant to Rowland Hill in the creating of the Penny Post), who didn't have time to write letters with seasonal greetings to all his friends  and associates.

They were a financial failure - much too expensive at 1 shilling each. But the idea didn't disappear and after printing became cheaper and the postage for cards and unsealed envelopes was reduced, the postmen of the time were soon delivering 1 million cards every year.

 Now 900 million Christmas cards are sent in the UK each year.......poor post people! and for many charities Christmas card sales provide one of their most important revenue sources.

I like to buy charity cards - preferably bought in their January sales- and probably send cards that have pictures on that I would like to receive - that is, old fashioned village scenes, lots of snow and maybe robins, pheasants or owls. But really I'm just happy to receive any cards at all!

Back Tomorrow
Sue

16 comments:

  1. I had a complicated time with my cards this year... As usual I made my cards in January, using pictures from the cards I'd received in December. Each competed card was stored inside its envelope. Unfortunately some of the flaps stuck. I ended up ripping them open and using non matching envelopes. Maybe I'll just buy the lot next year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tis the 'traditional' scenes that appeal to myself as well Sue, but please don't let on for I do have my 'humbug' persona to think of..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Angela I make lots of my cards are made from old cards, but this year I have made them new. I have little small wreath cards with rounds of crochet and a greeting on them.

    Sue I would love to send you one but I do not have your address and do not know how I can get it to you. I have made just on 60 cards for myself and the charity stall.
    I enjoy reading about all the traditions.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sending less each year, I have to say, and if they are cards to family, I put everyone's together in one envelope to save on postage. Like you, I prefer traditional cards with countryside scenes and wildlife on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually buy one pack of Christmas cards just in case I haven't managed to make enough through the year. As I mentioned yesterday I like robins and post boxes, but I also like telephone boxes and Santa Clause (a red theme seems to be appearing).

    As I also mentioned a few posts ago I nearly sent you a card last year. Although I didn't have your address I did have Clay Cottage and what I took to be a postcode on the back of the evelope you sent with the book I was lucky enough to win, but I wasn't totally sure if it was an address or not, so didn't send it, although I still have it stamped and waiting to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right on cue I just finished my card last night late but they will go out today
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Christmas cards! And these are lovely. I'm receiving fewer this year, at least so far. But then, I haven't posted mine, either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder what drink is in the young girls' glass? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like receiving and sending cards, hope it doesn't die out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My cards are al posted and with our new address on little stickers on the back, and Alan posted all our new neighbours cards through their letterboxes last night. Already we have had two return cards and Roger from next door brought the wheelie bin back down the path for me when he posted his. I'm loving having people close by again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending cards is a tradition enjoyed by most. Only one friend said she wanted to exchange a Christmas email. I complied but also sent a card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was young the streets used to be thronged with students lugging great bags of post round at Christmas - now it just seems to be the poor old postie - well round here at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our school is advising we don't do cards because of covid πŸ˜” a few have still snuck through though 🀫. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember watching my mother writing her humongous stack of Christmas cards .. it is a rather precious memory. I was especially intrigued by the ones sent to family back in Norway. My 9 siblings and I didn't learn to write it because my father felt that Canadians should only speak English. Sad that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems that as each Christmas comes and goes I send and receive fewer Christmas cards. While I am glad I no longer have a huge list, I miss the fun and excitement of getting a card in the mail.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How interesting! I don't think there are so many charity Christmas Cards here in the states as there are in England. They are really missing out on a fundraising idea!

    ReplyDelete