Saturday 18 December 2021

Advent Photos 2021.18th and My Week

I found this chart below on a blog but then lost where it was. It made me smile (the tiny writing on the right says it's © Mattsurlee. So hope he doesn't mind me putting it  on my not-for-profit-non-money-making blog!) 

   

Hope this isn't applicable to anyone out there? Although the 31st used to happen to me every year and it's only now looking back I can see exactly what we accomplished and wonder what I thought I'd missed.

This week...................

On Monday I went and had my eyes tested - about time too as it had been 3 years. No problems, although I need 2.5+ reading glasses to replace my 2.0+. Youngest daughter is going to look through the companies they order from to see if she can find me some snazzy-jazzy decent quality. 

After that the rest of the week turned into one of those weeks that I don't really need too often
  • I hope I avoided doing over 30mph just round the corner from home, where the speed camera van was unexpectedly parked.

  •  Christmas Day plan fell through  - I was expecting it really. Other people have been invited but "there wasn't room for me" !

  • The so called silver shimmer icing for the Christmas cakes (including the two for the hampers) was more grey than silver and looks a bit odd
  • WI was cancelled because so many of the older ladies were  shocked by the PM saying "emergency" 5 times on his unexpected Sunday night broadcast, that they'd rung the president with apologies.( I didn't watch it so had no idea until hearing the news on Radio 4 at bedtime)
  • The house was stone cold one morning when it should have been warm 

  • I  went shopping but left my list at home.

But.......... 

It was rescued by Ian, the heating engineer, (who solved the problem last week by phone) fitting me into his day to come and look - and this time it was a speck of dirt jamming something up. 
 
 my children still love me so I will be with other family for Christmas Day!
 
the Christmas cakes will taste alright even though the icing is rather grey
 
plus a book I've never seen and have been wanting to own for years, dropped down in price by a few pounds and I decided  to treat myself for New Year and it actually arrived 2 weeks before expected so I can enjoy over Christmas. Lovely. (Photo after Christmas as I've hidden it away!)
 
and  luckily I didn't miss anything important from the shopping list (despite this below, which happened 15 minutes before I arrived and was ongoing and looking very serious and had shocked staff and customers  alike. The shoppers on the 'Border-Hopper' mini bus were all being treated for shock in the cafe.)

An 80-year-old woman was airlifted to hospital with "serious injuries" after being involved in a collision with a minibus in a supermarket car park in Diss. Police, fire and ambulance crews attended the incident outside Morrisons in Victoria Road just after 9.30am. Firefighters from Diss and Harleston released passengers using hydraulic rescue equipment, while an ambulance and the East Anglian Air Ambulance were also at the scene.A Norfolk police spokeswoman said the woman suffered "serious injuries".An East of England ambulance service spokeswoman added: "Crews treated a female patient at the scene before airlifting her to Addenbrooke’s Hospital for further assessment and care."

I hope the lady has survived and is recovering.

I have many things to be grateful for after all.
 
Not a lot happening today - I was looking forward to the Strictly final but with AJ having to pull out due to injury it won't be quite so good. 
 

Back Tomorrow
Sue


35 comments:

  1. Cheer up dear bloggy friend. We all have weeks like that - or even months - when it happens to me I try hard to scrape the botttom of the barrel and find something at least. There usually is - even if it is just somebody new from round about saying a cheery hello. Let's face it - there isn't a lot to be cheerful about at present. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine Pat but thank you for caring. I'm rarely down for more than an hour and soon had things sorted re Christmas Day.
      Hope your weekend is good - so grey and misty here - The "wrong" kind of winter weather!

      Delete
  2. Three days then the darkest day will flip over. Christmas will soon be behind you but you will still have had the pleasure of your family. Everything moves at its own pace. Keep strong. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was starting a post for 21st yesterday and found we gain 6 minutes between 21st and 31st!

      Delete
  3. Oh blimey - what a week, but there were some positives too. Glad you had other family to "mop you up" on Christmas Day. We missed the dire warnings of Boris the other day, and have just been reading the newsfeed on Yahoo thinking ping-pong warnings - one moment we're all going to die if we don't stay indoors (Prof. Whitty) and the other says it's mild, very low hospitalisations, all the jabs are good against it. Who do you believe? The trouble is, they base their prognosis on computer programmes which, let's face it, can be WRONG.

    Thelma's like me - counting the days and hours until the shortest day and then by the end of January it will be light until 5 p.m. Hooray!!

    I am ALWAYS forgetting my shopping list but usually once I have written it down, it stays in my head and it's only Tam's things I forget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An even weirder thing on the shopping list - I bought something and it WAS on the list but when I put it away there was already two in the cupboard! Very strange.

      Delete
  4. Some sunshine with the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sunshine after Monday and lots of misty drizzley low cloud

      Delete
    2. I wasn't referring to the weather Sue, but to the ups and downs of your week. Hope next week is better for you.

      Delete
  5. An 'uppy downy' kind of week ... but I love how you always manage to sound optimistic and look on the bright side. (spell check HATES me 'uppy downy' ... blah it says!!)

    Poor elderly lady in the Morrisons car park, I hope she's okay. I am always forgetting my shopping list just recently, I rather cleverly managed to remember everything on my last forgotten list ... except the thing I needed the most!

    I am intrigued to find out what the new book is ... you little tease!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had some lovely weather this week. Blue skies, warm sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harumph! I Know! I've seen the forecasts! It's been cloudy and damp mist here most of the week - just a bit too far south

      Delete
  7. Lots to comment on but I'll stick to speed cameras. It's the anxiety of not knowing. I've driven home tired and realised I've passed a fixed camera I know is there, and have no memory of deliberately checking speed. I've driven past a camera van at 40 and then spent ages on streetview trying to work out whether the limit is 30 or 40 at that point. Every morning you look at the post with trepidation wondering what it will bring. I've been lucky the two times I have transgressed - Lendal Bridge in York was refunded because the council hadn't put up adequate signs, and a bus gate in Newcastle let me off as a non-resident first-time offender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see how the camera van there got many people. It was about 50yards inside the 30mph on the way out of the village, just after a 90 degree bend where everyone slows down to get round it and the road isn't particularly wide there so everything bigger than a car takes up more than half the road anyway so anything meeting a bus or truck has to slow right down. I hope I was OK

      Delete
  8. When I've written my shopping list I usually try and remember to take a photo of it, so if I forget the written list (which happens regularly), at least I have it on my phone! But husband is doing the shopping now anyway, and he'd be quite lost without a list! Glad you've got someone who loves you and wants you for Christmas day!! (said tongue in cheek lol). It wouldn't surprise me at all if our Christmas Day plans are scuppered....luckily we've got tons of food here. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope after Christmas plans aren't cancelled as that's when th surrey family are visiting

      Delete
  9. What a week - let's hope the ups and downs even out now. I'm glad you have alternative Christmas plans with those who really do love you.

    I LOVE that diary thing at the top. It made me laugh out loud.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes all is good here. Hope you don't suffer with any of the problems on that December calendar!

      Delete
  10. Goodness, what a week you have had, but there are blessings to be counted in amongst the trials.

    I use Glasses Direct for my prescription - I am so clumsy and destructive with spectacles I need more than one pair. They often have really big sales, and 'second pair free' offers.

    Strictly - have loved this series. So sad for AJ and Kai. Thinking about it, surprising no-one has been this badly injured before. Big shame though, because the popularity contest that the show has become seems to have Rose as a dead cert to win. Always out of step with the majority, I would love to see John & JoJo win. Enjoy your evening. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd better support the opticians where daughter works! usually have reading glasses in every room and the car - I'm hoping for something other than plain single coloured.

      Delete
  11. The nice thing about being retired is I have more time now to get ready for Christmas. I remember being so frazzled back in the day. So now I feel quite spoiled that I can waste time but still get everything done before Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so much less than I did with 3 children and a smallholding despite having hours more time!

      Delete
  12. Must feel like you've been on a see-saw, with a heavier sibling on the other end alternately popping you off you seat as you hang on. Never one of my favourite playground items. Hope this Christmas week is more like a pleasant merry-go-round ride--gentle and with a calm breeze. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hope all will be fine from now on - fingers crossed!

      Delete
  13. I wonder how fast that poor woman in the Morrison’s car park was traveling to sustain such injuries. I hope that she will be OK.

    You are lucky to have a long season of Strictly in the UK. The American version, Dancing with the Stars, has fizzled here in my opinion. I haven’t watched since the show dumped it’s longtime and excellent host for a younger, shinier person. And the season only runs about 8 weeks. Enjoy it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady was on foot and somehow got knocked down by a minibus - a horrible accident.
      Strictly here just gets better year on year - cheers up Saturday evenings for manyweeks

      Delete
  14. I wonder if you bought Patch in the Forest ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that is still too expensive and I have read it many years ago.

      Delete
  15. You've had a bit of a bumpy road mixed with positive outcomes as well. I'd say you've paid your dues and it is all smooth sailing from now on. My Christmas plans are fluid as well and I'm still not sure about the guests planning to be at my home...I'm just cooking like everybody still wants dinner, drinks and desert. It's a funny old world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You'd be welcome at my Christmas Eve gathering, how hurtful being told not to come, ''no room".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no! Sounds like quite a week. I'm glad other family were able to come through for you for Christmas Day. It doesn't sound nice that there wasn't any room for you. I've been watching the news and wondering what's going to happen. Hopefully nothing will change between now and Saturday - but you never know!

    ReplyDelete