Tuesday 1 March 2022

March Country Days

1st March, St David's Day The Patron St of Wales. The start of meteorological spring and this year also Shove Tuesday or Pancake day. I bought a lemon last week to be able to have proper old-fashioned pancakes today.............none of those modern or foreign ideas like chocolate spread, strawberries or maple syrup for this old Suffolk Country Gal!

2nd................ Ash Wednesday (more on this tomorrow).
 
17th...........St Patrick's Day. Patron Saint of Ireland 
 
20th........ Vernal Equinox, the start of Astronomical spring and Ostara, The Pagan festival celebrating Eostre, Goddess of Spring. 
 
25th..........Lady Day
 
27th Change the clocks and Mothering Sunday too

c  In the Roman calendar March,or Martius, was the first month of a new year. The month was named after Mars, the god of war and the guardian of agriculture. March was the month when both farming and warfare could begin again after winter. (There have always been wars waiting to start)


The Saxons called it Lentmonat, or lengthening month, because of the equinox and lengthening of days and this is the origin of the word Lent. By the end of the month there will be two extra hours of daylight and we change clocks to BST on the the 27th, which is also Mothering Sunday.

.
Everyone knows this rhyme

March winds and April showers
Bring forth May flowers.

Also.....................March month of many weathers 
 
In one book I have is this rhyme, explaining the first three Saints of March. Although neither Chad or Winneral get a mention in my Calendar of Saints book. The rhyme is thought to explain the windy weather often through the month.

First comes David
Then comes Chad
Then comes Winneral
As though he were mad

 

As promised, here is another gorgeous Spring illustration from the book ' A Sparrows Life's as Sweet as Ours'


 Rooks this time. I expect almost every village in the country has or had a Rookery Farm. As the trees at the top of out smallholding field gradually got taller through the 23 years we were there, the rooks moved in and there would be half a dozen nests each spring.

I found this poem written for children

The Rooks
 
The rooks are building on the trees;
They build there every spring:
‘Caw, caw,’ is all they say,
For none of them can sing.

They're up before the break of day,
And up till late at night;
For they must labour busily
As long as it is light.

And many a crooked stick they bring,
And many a slender twig,
And many a tuft of moss, until
Their nests are round and big.

‘Caw, caw.’ Oh, what a noise
They make in rainy weather!
Good children always speak by turns,
But rooks all talk together.
 
by  Jane Euphemia Browne 1811 - 1898

 

 

Back Tomorrow
Sue

19 comments:

  1. Our friends have rooks in the trees in their garden, and complain about the noise. Which is a shame in my view - but then perhaps I'd complain if I lived there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are noisy and messy and used to pinch the chickens food - but otherwise OK!

      Delete
  2. St Chad has lots of churches in his name round the West Midlands, including the Catholic cathedral in Birmingham. His day is tomorrow, March 2nd, and traditionally held to be the best day to plant Broad beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd written about St Chad somewhere before but couldn't find him anywhere

      Delete
  3. I enjoy these posts as I always learn something new. I had rooks in the tall trees near our house as a child. Noisy but strangely comforting sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's also the 'in like a lion and out like a lamb' saying - and today is horrible so fingers crossed it applies this year! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wind today - just cold and damp so no roaring Lion

      Delete
  5. What a delightful poem. March is in like a lamb here today as we have woken up to sunshine and birdsong.

    There is a big Rookery in trees down by the garage we use out on the road to Hay. We had some Rooks starting to nest in trees on the border of our land and Next Door's back in Carms. I was delighted to have them there. The Shoot was not, made sure the tree was just Next Door's side of the border rand shot the nests out of the trees. Unnecessary I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People used to do that with Magpies too - and rooks would be baked in a pie!

      Delete
  6. It's definitely a busy month. They say that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb, but for the past few years it's been the reverse. There is a rookery near the Co-op where I stop between bear's school and home and they are a noisy bunch and the trees are thick with their nests. It's always good to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say that if the nests are high it will be a good summer - I'll have to look out for where they are this year

      Delete
  7. I love pancakes but am not familiar with Suffolk pancakes with lemon. Maple syrup is sweet and I usually just use butter. The lemon sounds good. 'Beware of the ides of March' is tied to bad omens on March 15. It will be great to hear the Spring birds again; most of them will return from the South soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon juice and sugar was the traditional way to eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday for years - now anything goes!

      Delete
  8. It's been a beautiful St David's Day, lots of sunshine and clear blue skies. I don't know if I'll be having any pancakes, once I start I may not be able to stop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely opposite weather here - damp and grey and cold.

      I'm looking forward to my pancakes this evening

      Delete
  9. Happy March! I enjoyed the poem. Children's poems are so light-hearted and happy. March is my favorite month, even though we often get snow it still brings us the promise of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rhyme that I know about March is weather related and is this
    In like a lamb and out like a lion
    or in like a lion and out like a lamb
    Meaning that whatever the weather was like at the start of the month (calm or wild) it would be the opposite at the end of the month.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post. I have Crows that come to my garden. They sit out in the trees and caw caw. I take out peanuts and set them on the feeding table and they come and take them away lol.

    Not sure I'm looking forward to this month. First of the Mother's Days. American Mother's Day is in May. I think I am going to try to do something to honour mum instead of crying all day!

    ReplyDelete