Saturday 2 April 2022

All Kinds of Everything on a Saturday

Snow and cold, windy weather hasn't helped the garden flowers and the poor Magnolia is losing it's petals by the minute. The last lot of daffodils I bought only lasted a few days so something different for the spring display this week


  Spotted a Muntjac over the road recently, finding something to munch under the yew trees that split the graveyard from a field beyond it. Sadly the field has planning permission for some bungalows, so I'm glad there is a graveyard between me and the future new builds.


 My Mothering Sunday was a quiet one because the nearest bit of the family had been on holiday and came back with Covid. That means all 3 children have now had it for the first time recently, luckily the grandchildren haven't been ill.

 The rest of the week had cancellations  as I was supposed to be looking after Middle Grandson for a couple of hours but as DiL wasn't working due to the  Covid  that was cancelled leaving me with an empty diary. I made marmalade instead.

Finally got to my second Over 60's group meeting after missing January and February. The speaker was a Ipswich tour guide and she took us on a slide tour of Ipswich then and now. Showing some of the most historic buildings and how they looked in early photographs and paintings compared to now. I had been in some of them when they were open specially on the Heritage Open Days. Somewhere I've not been that she mentioned is the newly restored church by the old docks....now called The Waterfront Area. Must get there sometime. Tea and biscuits and a raffle and I paid my subs and got the programme for the rest of the year. I think I might be at least 10 years younger than most of the other members which is a shame.

I decided to try again with the TV programme ' The Simpler Life'. It got better after after one family left and then others left 'til there was hardly anyone left to leave!  Thought they rather wasted the opportunity. There is another programme  that I'm enjoying ......Grayson and Phillipa Perry's art club. He's an interesting man although the first time I saw him dressed as his alter-ego many years ago, before I knew who he was, I wouldn't have said that!
There's another Art programme starting this week that also sounds watchable .....'The Art That Made Us'' in which contemporary artists look at pieces of art from the past.

The Reed Bunting came back and this time on the nearside of the feeder for a better photo.


This week I'm so grateful for
  • The birds,animals and flowers around us
  • Walking to things in the village
  • All sorts of weather to talk about!

 

Hope you have a good weekend. I'm wishing for good weather for yard sales in the next village today and the first Sunday boot sale at Stonham Barns - if their field has dried out. 

Back Monday
Sue

 

28 comments:

  1. The snow was such a change after last week's sunshine. It definitely felt much colder. I actually took a hot water bottle to bed - not something I usually do in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think thursday was the coldest day of the winter!

      Much better today

      Delete
  2. Making marmalade sounds like a very good alternative activity to me - very satisfying!

    I've enjoyed the Ian Hislop three part account of the British Stiff Upper Lip. It's finished now but is available on iPlayer.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed that, must make a note, as I forget things to catch up on. Have I Got News For You back on TV yesterday

      Delete
  3. Frost rather than snow this morning and rather chilly. I see Madley Car Boot sale starts tomorrow but we won't be going unless we are selling as it is 34 miles away, close to Hereford. Carmarthen Car Boot is also starting up again, but that is over 50 miles away!! Shan't be bothering with that one. Good luck with the ones you're going to.

    I think I thought the same as you the first time I saw Grayson Perry as his alter-ego. I did try watching his art programme but didn't really warm to it. I prefer the Fake or Fortune type of art programme, and really love the Great Pottery Throw Down.

    Never seen a Muntjac before, nor a Reed Bunting, so you are having a good week for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muntjacs are everywhere around Suffolk. At RSPB Minsmere they don't even run away from people

      Delete
  4. Hope your family are feeling better now. Pleased you enjoyed your meeting.
    Well it is a lovely sunny morning but very cold, I am just going to post a couple of cards (6 family birthdays this month) and then carry on with my blanket.
    I love your spring display.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes family all better now.
      Sunshine and warmer today - much better

      Delete
  5. I love that little rabbit! I had to google muntjac. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are small deer that have spread through the east of England

      Delete
  6. I love your Spring display. It is so pretty! Glad to hear your family has recovered from Covid. Hope your yard sale and boot sale visits are successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes the family all OK again.
      It was very cold looking round the yard sales this morning

      Delete
  7. Your Spring display is lovely. Loss of open space is disappointing. I'm glad you have the graveyard as a buffer to all the new houses. The muntjac looks like a small deer to me. I'm overrun with deer. They are very prolific. For now, hunting is banned by town officials. Any given day, I see 6-10 white tail deer on my property. When the deer outnumber the amount of acreage that can reasonably support them, starvation becomes a problem. The return of the Reed Bunting indicates he's chosen your property to feed and maybe nest. Have you seen a nest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Muntjac are small deer not native but have spread through the countryside. They tend to live alone except for mating and damage young trees.
      The Reed Bunting won't be nesting in the garden - they nest in field edges - my garden is too small for any nests - sadly

      Delete
  8. Years ago I joined an Over 50s group and then discovered they were all mostly in the 70s. I only went a couple of times!
    Pity about the field having to disappear into more buildings, but at least your graveyard neighbours should be quiet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame that younger people don't seem to join things now. Because they have some interesting speakers I'll probably keep going

      Delete
  9. Sorry that your extended family came down with Covid. Hopefully they all get over it quickly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope all the family members are feeling better soon! Which church by the waterfront are you talking about? Is it St Peter's by the Waterfront? Mum and I have gone round there a couple of times.

    When I was in Ipswich last summer I took a walk to look at Wolsey's Gate. I was a little dismayed about the condition of it. I know it's by a busy road, but it's sadly quite deteriorated.

    Hope you have an enjoyable rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often go to Ipswich now - the parking costs have all gone up and so many shops have closed but I do want to get to St Peters and the lady was talking about a church that had come back into use for worship - not sure which one she said now. I shall have to find out.
      They keep talking about saving Wolsey's gate but not sure how

      Delete
  11. I think I read that the muntjac had originally escaped from Whipsnade Zoo?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous spring display! I've never seen a muntjac before despite tales of being overrun with them when we lived in Worcs. Glad the family are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched the first two episodes of the Simpler Life, and gave up. Sadly I dont think anyone had allowed for tantrums and ill feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our feathered friends are eating us out of house and home at the moment. I don't mind at all, but today in the eind and rain don't feel much like venturing out to do a refill of the suet nibs. They will have to resort to sunflower hearts this evening. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm quite enjoying The Simpler Life now, but it is a much reduced experiment now that so many have left. And it's a shame that the Amish family have gone back to America, they had built good relationships with the people taking part, especially the young guy who's thoroughly enjoying himself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's hard when the fields get built over. I enjoyed all the pics, but particularly love the blue and white jug in the spring display. It looks so fresh.

    ReplyDelete