Saturday 22 October 2022

Another Good Week In Suffolk

I have a  new TV addiction - it's been going on for a few weeks - It's a series called NCIS and has been on TV in the  US forever (well, since 2003) - there are at least 440 episodes over 20 series but I only came across it one evening when I looking for more crime things to watch. I discovered that Mark Harmon (who plays the lead character from series 1 to 19)  was once voted the sexiest man on US TV and I can quite see why!



Mark Harmon Headshot




 
 


They've been showing all series in order on the 5USA channel and have got to Series 11 dating from 2013 so I've plenty still to watch.
Over here when a new crime series is made they only do about 6 programmes at the most. NCIS often has 24 programmes in a series.
Also on the show is David McCallum once the mysterious Illya Kuryakin in The Man from Uncle in the 60's. Amazingly still acting aged over 80. 

And still on the subject of TV .............I've started watching Countdown again since they got rid of   Ann Robinson as the host. One day this week I surprised myself by getting two of the numbers games and the contestants didn't.............. not so good at the words.

There's a Countdown numbers game in the Radio Times each week - sometimes easy -like last week.
Although the answer on the previously page was done differently - 9+4 =13, 13 x 2=26, 26 x 9 =234 so I had to treble check my way was also right!

And next weeks is easy too and I found the answer had been made the same way as I did it. I've not written the answer on here so you can have a go! Sometimes they are harder and I have to cheat.

 .

*************************


The bedroom/en-suite  rebuilding is finished with the carpet done yesterday (all bar a wobbly loo flush handle- which is on order for replacing.)
 Brother in Law should be over today  to give me a hand shifting mattresses. I've started putting other things back but moving mattresses alone is a bit beyond me. 
I would have been heading down to Colchester for the BIG  second-hand book sale but when Andrew volunteered Saturday morning as the time he could come and help I didn't dare say it was the only day I couldn't do! He's always so busy that I'm lucky and grateful to get him here to help at all.

*************************

Something happened this week that's never happened before.................I forgot to go to WI! 
One minute it was 6pm and I was fiddling about with books, searching for something and then it was 7.20 and too late. I wasn't too bothered about missing it as the speaker had cancelled and it was going to be an evening chatting to other members about ourselves - this was done once before this year and is not what I joined for. Plus there's the lady going on and on about planting daffodil bulbs again - just like last year. No one seems able to stop her taking over the any other business and rattling on for far too long. So perhaps there was a subliminal reason for me forgetting!


As always I have lots of things to be grateful for.
  • Good weather for getting the grass cut - last time this year I hope
  • Building work all going to plan
  • Help with shifting stuff
  • Good heap of library books
Have a good weekend, I'll be back Monday.
Sue


39 comments:

  1. I know NCIS as well as JAG which preceded NCIS. Both are outstanding. You will be enjoying your new bedroom and en-suite this weekend. The home and hearth are important and to have everything as you like it is outstanding. If you were to miss a WI meeting, this was the one to miss... No speaker and a tulip chatterbox does not sound very appealing. I'd call your timing perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not heard of JAG - what was that standing for? Shall check it out

      Delete
    2. JAG stands for Judge Advocat General and is part of US military courts, as l understand it.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the Silver Fox fan club. Mark was the reason many women of a certain age watched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a recent photo of him, he's now 71 and still OK!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. He was my first crush. I was 8!. My husband is blue eyed, blond, and has high cheek bones. I guess he set a standard

      Delete
  4. You will be so happy to get your home back in order. Yes NCIS is good. Of course we are watching Martin and Vera here.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for new Vera's to be on TV here - not sure about Martin? which series is that

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David McCallum got the last laugh. His wife, Jill Ireland left him for Charles Bronson. McCallum is still alive and has a job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Good heavens. I didn't realize that Jill Ireland died too!

      Delete
  7. There is a quip written into the script of an NCIS charactor. Someone asks Gibbs what Ducky looked like as a young man. Gibbs answers: 'Ilya Kuryakin'.

    When my youngest daughter and I met up in New Orleans for a week when she came back from Afghanistan, we accidently stumbled on to a street scene of NCIS: New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that episode where Gibbs says "he looked like, Ilya" too. Occasionally they have 'flashback' episodes, where 'young' Gibbs is played by his son Sean Harmon. I love this show!

      Delete
    2. I must have come to the series too late to see that episode. If it's on repeatedly I may get to see the beginning few series that I missed sometime

      Delete
  8. Oh, how I loved David McCallum/Ilya Kuryakin as a teenager. I had posters of him all over my bedroom and The Man From UNCLE was a non-negotiable each week.
    I've never watched NCIS - I wonder if I can get it. Thanks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get 5USA on freesat. I loved The Man from Uncle too - great fun one of those things parents didn't like!

      Delete
  9. I also forgot to go to my u3a on Thursday afternoon. I had been in a Zoom call and by the time I had eaten my lunch, my ears needed a rest! Happy weekend and glad your home is almost back to normal. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  10. NCIS is one of our favourite shows....it's one of the few things I watch on TV (it's always being repeated, along with my other favourite, Stargate SG1).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to have been way ahead of me watching it!

      Delete
  11. Just surprised myself by getting the 2nd numbers game, I don't often look at the Radio Times so never noticed it before. I shall have to look out for it now and add it to Wordle and Septle!!
    I think your assumption of the subliminal message is spot on, your brain knew you weren't interested in the changed meeting and therefore decided it was not worth remembering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me a few seconds on that 2nd number to work out not to try and multiply the 75 by 2. Then it was straightforward

      Delete
  12. Sorry, the above comment was from me, I forgot to sign in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huge NCIS fans in this house too. We've seen every episode at least once, many several times, and have one or two (won't give spoilers) still on the tape for when we want a feel-good programme to watch. I remember the 'what was Ducky like as a young man' episode as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been watching NCIS ever since I met Alan, he's an absolute addict of the show, we must have seen most episodes at least twice. Once we got our Amazon Firesticks Alan started watching it right from the first episode all over again ... I didn't join in this time.

    I don't do the numbers game or the Sudoku in the Radion Times but I do do the crossword, the Only Connect and the general knowledge questions. I have just cancelled my subscription as I really don't like the new look of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not noticed any difference with the RT so I shall now have to see what I've missed! It's still my only magazine purchase so not too expensive

      Delete
  15. I had a crush on Ilya Kuryakin too when I was young. I watched NCIS for many years but haven't been watching lately as many of the actors have changed...
    I watch a lot of the BBC mystery shows and always enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mark Harmon had the best smile on TV for years. Sadly, time has caught up with him. However, David McCallum is still outstandingly good looking especially given his age. It must be down to that bone structure--cheek bones able to slice apples! Pollie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unmissable Thursdays: Top of the Pops and The Man From UNCLE.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you about Ann Robinson. She was dire.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome to the Leroy Jethro Gibbs fan club (you know you are really in trouble when you can remember The Rules!)

    One of the best things to have come out of American TV, but definitely to be watched in order because there is some very clever long-term back story which only shows up occasionally. Like many others, I have seen every episode more than once :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember The Man From UNCLE - it was one of my favourite programmes (along with Bewitched). Hope your moving furniture around goes well. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. NCIS was my favourite series. If it comes to the UK watch NCIS New Orleans. Loved that one as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I must admit that I haven't watched a lot of that series. I have watched a few, but not a lot. We cancelled all our television stations, but I'm sure it is streaming somewhere lol.

    Yikes missing the WI meeting. I expect because of the cancelled speaker it wasn't on your mind much.

    Hope you had an enjoyable weekend

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sure my husband has that series on a loop. I did enjoy it but there's only so many times you can watch certain people get shot. Glad your building work is going well. Emotionally I find having workmen in a big challenge, something always goes wrong when doing a job in this old house.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree about Mark Harmon, I think I've seen every episode of NCIS.

    ReplyDelete