Wednesday 26 October 2022

St Mary's Church, Buxhall

 A very typical Suffolk Church in a small Suffolk village not far out of Stowmarket.

The view down the nave is light and bright 


The first thing I noticed were the lovely stitched kneelers and I thought of the churches I'd visited after lockdown finished when all the kneelers were locked away in a taped off pew as if you could catch covid through your knees from something used once a week at most.



Both doorways at the top and bottom of a tiny stairway that would have lead up to the Rood Loft

Very little stained glass remains

Wonder why there seems to be 2 Piscinas?



Like it's neighbour at Gt Finborough which I wrote about last week Buxhall church is very close to the Big House and almost sits of the Hall's front lawn




There's a memorial to the Hill/Copinger family who lived in the Hall for centuries. 3 very small children included here the mid 1700's couldn't have been a good time for children's health.


This looks to be small broken pieces of old glass that have been saved and re-used.


The ropes in the belfry are ready for the bell-ringers. Quite unusual to be able to see the ringers from the church.



For some reason I'd been thinking that this was the church where I was a Bridesmaid for  a wedding, way back in 1962.


But the more I think about it the less sure I am - it might have been  Battisford, a church  I visited in 2018 but on that post I said I didn't think it was. I need my cousin  A to read this - she might know! (I was bridesmaid for "Aunty" Primrose who was her Mum's and my Dad's cousin. Everyone was an Aunty back then - even people who were no relation!)


Back Soon
Sue

19 comments:

  1. What a beautiful church and a very pretty bridesmaid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a long time ago but I remember the colours of dress even though the photos are all black and white. Red velvet dress and gold sash and I carried a posy of Lily of the Valley

      Delete
    2. Oh how lovely. As a little girl I used to love velvet dresses and mum bought me a Royal blue one for the Sunday school anniversary one year. I was heartbroken when I outgrew it.

      Delete
  2. This church, your picture...momentos of sweet days now gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still puzzling over where I was bridesmaid

      Delete
  3. What a lovely church. So bright and how strange that one can see the bell ringers from the church itself.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often the bell ringers are hidden away at the bottom of the tower

      Delete
  4. Another lovely church. Thanks for taking us along on a visit. I especially liked the needlework, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kneelers were the first thing I noticed as I walked in so colourful

      Delete
  5. I read stitched kneelers as stitched knickers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely light church and the kneelers so uniform in their colour. Also the elegantly mouldered stained glass window. I would gaze for hours at that whilst listening to the sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredible little church. Your photos captured its beauty and essence, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m wondering if your featured church has just had a new ‘coat of paint’….everything looks clean and bright.
    Oh and I just noticed there is not one but two rainbows in your new header photo. Double the luck if you can find the crock of gold

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely and unique church. The kneelers are nicely done and quite striking. The bell ringing ropes and mechanisms being fully exposed are most unusual. You were an adorable bridesmaid. A special red velvet dress with a beautiful sash made a perfect outfit for a very special wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wore an outfit very similar to your when I was a flower girl in 1958. The huge excitement was that it was a bought dress-all my other garments were Gran made. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these old churches and they always seem to have fascinating histories attached to them. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always follow your post, I’ve noticed there has been no posts from the weaver of grass for 6 days. I hope she is ok.

    ReplyDelete