Saturday 8 October 2022

What's Been Happening in the First Week of October?

 The building work is coming along nicely after 7 days work. The thing about having a big company doing the work is that they are quite organised with everything planned to follow on so that the plumber came to do the first lot of pipework and an electrician to do the first electrical bits at just the right time. 

They soon got all the old fittings out of the existing en-suite and this was after 3 days, you can't see it but the pipework is in....... from the attic down - for everything.

And the wires for lights and switches were done the next day. Now the new walls have been plastered too.

The picture below is a computer image of how things will look when finished. It will be so good to have  a towel radiator for a bit of warmth this winter and everything running into mains drains.


 Although the guys had 'fun' trying to find where exactly the main drains were out the front....... not where everyone assumed and no sign of another manhole where it was thought to be under the shingle. While using the digger for the trench they discovered where the electric comes into the house. The wire was only 18 inches under the ground and  only had a piece of warning plastic over it - no shingle like they do now, it was so lucky they didn't go through it with the digger shovel.
The new drain pipes, manhole etc have now been done and all the shingle on the driveway levelled again and I've sorted out what vinyl I want for the en-suite and carpet for the bedroom. 

It was a good dentist check up on Monday because he said they are still 'watching' the old fillings but after an Xray there didn't seem to be any change, so they won't do anything yet. Appointment made for April next year, this was the second appointment with nothing needing doing - my bank balance is pleased about that.

The weather has been good for more garden clearing but I forgot to put the garden waste bin out the week before last so couldn't get the front Yew hedge done. Must remember to get the bin out there tomorrow ready for Monday. I've washed lots of the big pots that were used in greenhouse, so they're ready for next year, although I still have tomato plants in several  to do later.

On Friday I made some  Spinach and ricotta lasagnes for popping in the freezer, it divided into 10 portions so along with the vegetable squash curry,  and Aubergine/tomato pasta sauce I've now got lots of things in the freezer that only need zapping in the microwave for easy meals.


The low early morning sun was lighting up the tree over the road  - sadly the camera failed to catch how bright it was.



I've had my flu vaccination but have put the covid one off for a while until all the work here is done as I keep hearing about how poorly some people have been for a few days after this latest dose. Don't want to feel too ill to make the guys their teas and coffees!


This week I have been grateful for
  • No problems with building work 
  • Some good weather
  • No big expense at the dentists

Hope you all have a good weekend. I'm going to Eldest Granddaughters 6th birthday party, which will be "fun"!

Back Monday
Sue

36 comments:

  1. The progress on your construction project is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Sue, that new bathroom will be so nice! I really like the way it is set up in the computer drawing.
    I had my Covid booster and flu shot at the same time this week and it was easy peasy! A little bit of achy arms but no bad reaction from the Covid booster at all. The flu shot arm was more tender than the Covid arm!
    Hope your building work continues to go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be able to get the Covid vaccination later when things have quietened down here

      Delete
  3. Wow, Sue... that's going to be wonderful for you! Sending wishes that all continues to go smoothly. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  4. How good that it'll be all finished before the winter strikes. At least the 6yo's birthday party isn't all your responsibility. Grandparenthood is great - I take "Fairy bread" and Jelly Fingers. Are they a thing in the UK? I'll send you the recipe if they're not. Everyone (especially the grown-up boys) loves them and they're so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we don't have those things here and thankfully I don't have to take anything and will come home to peace and quiet later!

      Delete
  5. I hate living in a mess whilst work is being done, I have to keep telling myself it'll be over soon and the end result will be worth it - hopefully! What luck the digger didn't damage the electrics! Enjoy the birthday party - whilst it should indeed be 'fun', I expect you'll also enjoy going back to your peaceful home afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily they are working in one room and the rest of the bungalow is mine so it's all OK

      Delete
  6. That is coming along nicely. My sister was unwell for 4 days after her flu shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had any problems after any vaccinations in the last years but I'll wait for the covid this year

      Delete
  7. That looks like good progress, and good to have everything well-organized so that the trades follow on from one another. It will be money well spent. The end is in sight! What colour tiles have you gone for?

    It sounds like some rather shoddy work was carried out in the past at your house - those electricity cables in particular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's hardly any tiles just a row over the basin. I've got Shower Wall panel for the shower . Everywhere is mainly white - kept it simple

      Delete
  8. The electricity cable had 18 inches of what over it? It must have had something even if not shingle. I am.puzzled. The en suite is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubble, dirt, driveway. There should have been a distinct layer of pea- shingle above the cable as a warning

      Delete
  9. Glad to bear that the building work is going on apace. You will be glad that’s it’s going to be finished before the weather turns cold and you’ll have a quieter loo when the work is finished. A friend has a macerator toilet in her downstairs loo and it is very noisy when it’s flushed. Have fun choosing the carpet and vinyl-I am not very patient with home furnishings and tend to choose the first thing I like that is within my price range. Enjoy the party! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too noisy but they have a limited lifespan and can go wrong quite easily.
      At the moment the in thing is GREY - dozens of variations of grey carpets - but I choose blue!

      Delete
  10. That looks absolutely brilliant, Sue. Won't it look fab when all the work is completed and to have those other things sorted out at the same time is a bonus. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be more straightforward to have everything on mains drains and warm after showering will be good too

      Delete
  11. It looks as though it is coming along very nicely, it will be lovely to have all your new facilities and a bathroom that is actually warm again. The beauty of using a building company to do everything is that all the project managing is their headache and not yours.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend, enjoy the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I choose a big company rather than a one man business (like the awful kitchen man at the last house!)

      Delete
  12. Glad to see that the work is coming along well. Bigger companies are able to plan more. We had a new boiler last year, installed by British Gas, quite impressed, kept to the schedule and even collected the old boiler and rubbish promptly.
    Happy birthday to your grandaughter, 6 already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the work continues at a pace next week too!
      Two 6 year olds in the family now and the youngest grandchild is 1 this month - all growing fast

      Delete
  13. What company are you using for your work? They seem very good and it is always useful to know as I live not far from you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using Manning and Woods - Old established business. The Manning part were painters and decorators back in the 60's/70's and did all the decorating for my Dad's building company

      Delete
  14. Glad the construction is proceeding well. I'd be tempted to go stay with family until it is over and let them make their own tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind making them hot drinks - keeps them working!

      Delete
  15. How exciting to get the work done. Sounds like your freezer is in good shape for the next few months.
    I just got both vaccines here in the US I had one day I felt off today I am feeling pretty good.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to be able to rustle up my main meal in minutes!

      Delete
  16. Sounds like you chose an excellent firm to do the work and lucky you no surprises that call for more expense. My husband says there's always a surprise or an oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No extra expense so far but it still could happen!

      Delete
  17. What a nice surprise, that there are no surprises! Looks very nice, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was floored for 24 hours with the Covid booster last week. The builders would have had to have made their own hot drinks!
    After that though I was fine; it didn’t drag on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ( Sorry, Anne Brew - keep forgetting to replace Anonymous with my name )

      Delete
  19. Your renovation is moving forward quickly and all the work looks beautiful. You have an excellent group of skilled people. When everything goes smoothly, it is so appreciated. One visit to the dentist with no extra work is great. Little girls love their B-day party and it will be fun to share in her joy.

    ReplyDelete