Friday 10 November 2023

I is for In Between

 For 20 years  ages 0 - 20 I lived in a hamlet between two villages and then at the smallholding 23 years in between two villages again. 

This photo below is Wetherden in the 80's. This is where I went to primary school in the 60's .( The school is just to NW of centre with the field beside and behind it and is now a house) But we didn't live in Wetherden as our hamlet was officially in Haughley.  Wetherden was only half a mile along a quiet road. All the children in the hamlet went to Wetherden school and we walked there and back everyday. But Haughley village was a mile and a half away, much of the way along the busy road then called the A45.

So we weren't really part of either village. The Wetherden history group aren't really interested in where we lived and neither are the Haughley History society.

The photo was on display at the recent Wetherden History Group open day - I always go and look each year if I can, in case they've found some more photos of people I was at primary school with. 



At the smallholding we were in between two villages again -  Knodishall and Friston. Closer to Friston but counted as being in Knodishall. Not really part of either village again.

It's no wonder I've never really called any village  my home village

And of course being born in 1955 am I a child of the 50's or the 60's ? 

Back Tomorrow
Sue 



22 comments:

  1. I too was born in 1955. I feel that I am a child of the 60s simply because I don't have too many clear memories of things before I started school in 1960. I had my tonsils out late in 1959 and I can recall being in hospital. I have very vivid memories of just two events, one when I was 2 and another when I was almost 4. But that's about all. And I became a teenager in the 60s! I remember a pupil once saying "You must be really old, Miss, cos you can remember before the Beatles"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born in '52, and remember little before 56, but have some very clear memories from 4 onward. Unfortunately I was dumped in a boarding school at 8, and the next 10 years weren't great. Boarding schools are very isolating places, and regaining balance takes effort after that. Not to be recommended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boarding School stories always made life seem wonderful but not for everyone

      Delete
  3. I was born in 1950 so had a ration book still for certain things. I was a teenager in the 60s and became a wife and mother in the 70s. Thanks for the memory, Sue. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have very few memories of primary school. Just snapshots

      Delete
  4. Like Angela I've got clear memories of having my tonsils out in the 60s, they used 'gas' then as an anaesthetic and we weren't considered fit for home until we had eaten a bowl of ice cream !
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend at primary school had her tonsils out when she was about 7 or 8. They did a lot of tonsil removing back then!

      Delete
  5. We share a birth year. Always lived in a city or when I first married a village.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, at least age wise you can call yourself a Boomer although I'd say a very young one - babies born 1945 - 1965
    As for me I've never been the right age!
    Youngest child, youngest cousin.
    Then getting married to the eldest member of a family and being older than him I've ended up being oldest family member, oldest sister in law!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small village or town life is always appealing to me. The larger towns next door have all the amenities and are easy to access. I guess I kind of like the "in between" isolation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes in between is good but I've never known which place I belong to!

      Delete
  8. I nearly had my tonsils out back in the 60s too, following several bouts of tonsillitis. However, our family doctor decided against it in the end, he said I'd probably grow out of it.....he was right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you can be whatever you was to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you just belong in Suffolk somewhere near Stowmarket. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My father's family come from Haughley, and I well remember visiting my grandparents there as a child in the 1960s. Mother's family were from Stowmarket, so just down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always find it interesting to read about other childhoods. Life was so very different, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I to was born in 1955 In Kentucky, USA.

    ReplyDelete