Saturday 18 November 2023

P is for Preparedness and Peace of Mind

 Be Prepared is the Scout Motto and I was a Cub-Scout leader for 20 years so learned that lesson well. 

I've been "Being Prepared" forever and especially since moving here with electricity needed for everything, for the first time in many years.

Having the wood burner installed was an expensive business but gave me Peace of Mind. Having the en-suite moved was another thing that cost me money but has made such a difference in many ways. No worries about the macerator pump reversing itself for a start! 
I keep a supply of logs, large and small in the garage and I'm still using kindling I bought from car boot sales in 2022. I buy a box of natural non smelly firelighters online and they last ages. They are needed for this fire as it doesn't draw well to start it easily. I've also got plenty of matches - no fire without them - and no, Scouts don't rub two sticks together!

I have an electric convector heater which has been needed a few times this autumn when the oil central heating has refused to work properly - which it did recently for the 3rd time this autumn - I have hot water but no heat which in theory shouldn't happen. Heating engineer has been rung - the last two times the heating has started working again the next day but not this time. He's hoping it's something simple like the flow switch.

I recently replaced my picnic gas stove - less than £20. The old one had originally been used in the beach hut and was very rusty. Last time it was used when the electric was off,  it didn't work well at all as it would only work on very low flame. I have a pack of 3 new gas canisters too and that means I'm prepared for hot food, hot drinks and making a hot water bottle for any future power cuts.



I have lots of candles and this re-chargeable light below so  I'm Prepared for lighting if the electric goes off as long as it's not off too long. I've got a large torch and a small one - with batteries to fit.



Plenty of batteries always in the cupboard for the radio. I have a wind-up radio too but it's very old and temperamental now.

I try to never let the car go below half full of diesel, that's enough for over 200 miles if needed and  keep my mobile phone charged since BT changed landlines to wifi hence needing electric.

By ordering my prescriptions from the health centre in good time - I don't run out if they have a delay.

My kitchen cupboards always have a good supply of food - I don't like running out of anything, even though I now live within walking distance of a village shop. I have a few tins of vegetables and fruit just in case I can't get out for fresh and I've got bags of flour for making bread. Plenty of food in the freezer  and I keep a large 5 litre bottle of water in there too. If the electric goes off it works like a giant ice pack and of course if ever there's a burst water main and we lose supply then that will make several cups of coffee.

Being Prepared = Peace of Mind

Back Monday - Have a good weekend folks. Christmas Fayres are starting. Coffee and cakes beckon!
Sue

34 comments:

  1. You are an excellent "prepper". I have a little camping stove too. Although it's not quite as pleasant in tea, I always have a carton or two of uht milk in the cupboard for emergencies (plus I use it in my yogurt maker) I like the water-in-the-freezer tip. It's always good to keep the freezer as full as possible - so this is a good "filler"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have powdered milk in the cupboard and fresh frozen in the freezer too.
      I might get a smaller bottled water for the freezer too as the large one would take an age to defrost

      Delete
    2. Half a dozen smaller bottles might be easier to fit in too

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's funny people still say this as it's not been used in Scouting since the 1960's! It changed to " Cubs, Do Your Best" and the response was "We Will Do Our Best". Not sure what they do now - it's been much modernised since the 90's

      Delete
    2. Showing my age, then aren't I. As a Girl Guide, we never used it anyway. It just goes to show how enduring things can be.

      Delete
  3. Same here for all the above. I also have a big bag cooker thing where food is cooked in a pan for 10 minutes then put in the bag and closed up. Bit like a hay box. I also have but milk but drop down a level so it isn’t so yuck in drinks. So, if you normally drink semi, drop down to skimmed. Know it wouldn’t necessarily work for you as you already water yours down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big bag cooker sounds interesting, not come across that. I tried Hay box once but bits of hay got everywhere including in the food!

      Delete
  4. I never was a Scout, though being an outdoorsy type I often got roped in to help with the Scouts group in the residential school for children with disabilities and learning difficulties where I worked. Until I'd been camping with a group of children who use wheelchairs, many with serious medical needs and some with behavioural issues, I didn't know what being prepared meant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have nightmares about arriving at a Pack Meeting and forgetting all the games and things planned!

      Delete
  5. Firewood, matches, tinned food and a torch. Heat food if necessary on woodburner. Seems enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we have a power cut our mobile signal always goes out too. There are plans afoot to decommission the village phone box too, so how are we supposed to summon the emergency services if the power is out in the future? I wish someone would apply a little joined-up thinking when things are being 'modernised'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any phone boxes in Suffolk still actually have a phone in them - perhaps the odd one or two in towns. More of a step backwards in so many things

      Delete
  7. The two very definitely go together, I agree. My little gas portable thingy is one of the things that I hardly ever use but I'm very glad it is there in case. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I last used my old little gas ring thing it hadn't been used previously for ages so it was annoying to find it had got temperamental in the meantime

      Delete
  8. Very sensible. Am pretty much the same. When the lock down came and people started stockpiling we were pretty much okay - the only difficulty was cat food (having four of them at the time).

    I order prescriptions on line and they come in the mail - no charge. A good system as I get an email saying it is time to reorder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the health centre in the village, now I'm within walking distance which is a first.
      Good to be ready for anything

      Delete
  9. I think you have all bases covered there. If our electricity goes off we still have our gas hob fortunately, not always the case in our previous homes! The frozen water idea is great. I've never frozen milk but keep some shelf-stable milk in stock all year round. If I can have a hot drink and a hot water bottle during a power cut, then I'll be ok ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot water bottle has been much needed with the boiler broken. I'm only heating the living room and the rest of the bungalow feels very cold.

      Delete
  10. Top marks for being prepared. If you prepare for it, it won't happen . . . maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for the blinkin' boiler which is a pain - but at least I dont freeze anymore

      Delete
  11. Try well prepared and sensible to do so if your area is subject to power cuts. I am doing a CRaft Fayre tomorrow and the weather forecast isn’t good. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pouring rain here early - craft sellers looked glum

      Delete
  12. You sound like a well practiced 'back-up plannner' after our own hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaah, that explains why my old plug-in telephone didn't work during our 9am-7pm power cut for work planned on the high voltage line yesterday. I assumed the phone was broken. N

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being prepared is always wise. I like having a back-up plan too. Self-sufficiency is important today. Wood burning stove and 8 cords of seasoned wood is on the ready. Passive solar gain helps heat the house as well. The new furnace, water tank, well pump, roof and windows ensure efficiency and reliability too. I agree, peace of mind is equally key.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sensible preparations, Sue. I have a rechargeable, bright light by my bed, and check it regularly.
    I keep a plastic box of candles, candle holders and matches by the first aid box.
    So far we have had the gas hob working even if the electricity is off.
    I bought a Kelly kettle and cooker set, on offer, for emergencies, but it needs to be used outside. Our Gaz camping things are very old and would need new seals and canisters, so they are packed away. Your new cooker looks handy.

    A free polystyrene box with a lid, lined with newspaper and an old towel, worked well as a hay box to continue cooking a covered saucepan of stew and a rice pudding, without extra fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are very prepared. Here in Canada I was a Girl Guide leader in the older age groups and am always trying to stay prepared as well. I would love a generator, but Harvey says they are too expensive for what we would need them for. Heck I may still save up and purchase one if we stay here much longer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfectly gobsmacked at your level of preparation. I thought I was prepared...you make me look like a rank amateur.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our house is only 5 years old. We had it built with a natural gas stove (cooker) and fireplace. In an emergency, we could light the burners on the stove (but not the oven) and use the fireplace without the fan. We also have natural gas forced air central heating, but it won't work without electricity. I also have a propane camp stove and lantern left from camping days. In a prolonged outage, such as what might occur after an ice storm, I'd gladly let friends stay with us or lend them the camp stove. We have sleeping bags and lots of extra blankets. Winter clothing, including long ski underwear. Candles, too. I have a deep pantry so we have plenty to eat.

    My preparedness activities of the last week were to make our 19-year-old pickup truck roadworthy. It is a second car and we no longer drive it much, but why have two cars if you can't use one in an emergency? The tires still had tread but the sidewalls were rotting from old age. We live in snow country (northern Idaho USA). We had snow tires, which we didn't bother to install last year, but they were in good condition, so we had them put on. This also delays until April the need to purchase new tires. Because the truck isn't driven often, we hadn't had the oil changed in about 3 years. I imagined it looking like blackstrap molasses! LOL Well, we had the oil changed, too. Then we topped up the gas (petrol) tank. We actually drove it about 60 miles today and it's running great. The total cost for this, excluding gas, was about $130 USD--very cheap for the peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are well prepared for anything the weather throws at us. Like you we have a similar stove and lantern plus torches, candles and matches and powdered milk and a few tins of fruit and vegetables in the cupboard:)

    ReplyDelete