Monday 27 November 2023

W is for Wordle

First of all must say thank you to everyone for comments and memories about getting/not getting vaccinations. A conversation without nasty comments was good.


From Wiki ..................Wordle is a web-based word game created and developed by Welsh software engineer Josh Wardle. Players have six attempts to guess a five-letter word, with feedback given for each guess in the form of colored tiles indicating when letters match or occupy the correct position. The mechanics are nearly identical to the 1955 pen-and-paper game Jotto and the television game show franchise LingoWordle has a single daily solution, with all players attempting to guess the same word.

Wardle created the game to play with his partner, eventually making it public in October 2021. The game gained popularity in December 2021 after Wardle added the ability for players to copy their daily results as emoji squares, which were widely shared on Twitter. Many clones and variations of the game were also created, as were versions in languages besides English. The game was purchased by The New York Times Company in January 2022 for an undisclosed seven-figure sum; the game was moved to the Times website in February 2022 and remains free for all players.



I was very late finding Wordle  , which is now heading towards # 900. I don't pay the 50p a week, which allows you to see if you've solved it in the best way - compared to a robot. I think I read there are either 3,000 or  5,000 x 5 letter words, whichever is right it will be running for a few more years before repeating. 

Here's my results for each morning this month. When I finished the puzzle  I hopped over to drafts to record my effort.

 1st Nov. NOISE in 4 tries.  242 played . 98% correct. Current run of 80.    average
2nd Nov. UNTIL in 4 tries  243 Played. 98% correct.   Current run of 81.    average again
3rd Nov. ARDOR in 6 tries 244 Played. 98% correct.Current run of 82. ARDOR??It's ARDOUR here!!
4th Nov. MANIA in 6 tries  245   " "        "   "    "         "       "    "  of 83.    tricky!
5th Nov. FLARE in 3 tries   246  "  "         "    "    "          "       "     of 84.    much better
6th Nov TRADE in 3 tries   247   "    "         "     "    "       "       "    of 85.   seemed easier today
7th Nov LIMIT in 5 tries      248  "    "            "     "                        of 86.  much thinking needed
8th Nov   oh dear I failed . The word was NINJA - not really used much in my vocabulary! Bother! 
9th Nov GLAZE in 5 tries    250 Played. Now down to 97% .    Run of 1.
10th Nov LEASH in 3 tries  251 Played.  97% correct. Current run of 2. That's more like it!
11th Nov  ACTOR in 3 tries  252  "  "       97% correct.   "    "     "    of 3. That was a lucky one.
12th Nov MEANT in 2 tries 253  ""  "    97%   "  "    .    "    "     "     4 . Wow that hasn't happened often.
13th Nov GREEN in 3 tries 254 " "   "     97%  "  "      "     "     "   "   5. Much luck involved
14th Nov SASSY in 6 tries  255  "  "  "   97%  "   "      "     "      "      6.    Very tricky
15th Nov SIGHT in 5 tries  256   "   "      97%      "       "       "       7.  Many options after getting IGHT
16th Nov TRUST in 4 tries  257  "   "      97%    "     "      "    "           8.  Average
17th Nov TARDY in 3 tries 258     "     "  97%   "       "     "      "        9. Blimey that was lucky!
18th Nov THINK in 3 tries  259   "    "     97%  "  "         "      "         10. Another lucky hit after TH in 2
19th Nov QUEUE in 5 tries  260  "     "    97% "    "         "    "           11. Had to be a Q
20th Nov CANDY in 3 tries 261  "    "    97%    "     "     "     "          12. Another bit of luck
21st Nov PIANO in 3 tries 262    "    "     97%   "       "     "   "           13. Seemed easy today
22nd Nov PIXEL in 4 tries  263  "    "      97%   "     "    "     "          14. Flash of inspiration!
23rd Nov QUEEN in 3 tries 264  "    "     97%   "   "      "      "        15. Surprised at another Q 
24th Nov THROW in 2 tries  265  "   "    97%   "      "       "     "     16. That was a good guess!
25th Nov GUIDE in 5 tries   266 "    "     97%  "   "     "     "    "      17. Back to average
26th Nov SOLID in 4 tries  267  "    "     97%  "    "       "    "          18.  Good

I won't put today's on here to avoid a spoiler for anyone who hasn't done it yet.



Back Tomorrow
Sue

33 comments:

  1. I thought there was an undercurrent that moved into the comments yesterday that was like a false politeness in the latter stages. It was like a gathering of trolls. I still play Wordle each day but will stop if they start charging for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 'Gathering' could be the collective noun for blog trolls although not really nasty enough!
      Comments weren't too bad - I'd invited worse!

      Delete
  2. I've never got to grips with Wordle. More of a Sudoku man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do both. Working my way through a new sudoku book at the moment

      Delete
  3. I've never done Wordle but I do enjoy Sudoku and various other games from the DKM Games site every day. Things like that help my brain to stay engaged. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always got a sudoku book on the go and wordle and watch Countdown every day for my brain workout

      Delete
  4. You told me it was NINJA the day I met you so I cheated!
    The link let me read the stats and Bot working twice without paying only last week. To be honest, I could not understand how or why they produce such info. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley! I'm horrified that you cheated!!
      I've been able to see the Bot working once which is how I knew what it was but it is a bit pointless, especially on a failure day - when I guess it tells you what you should have done - too late

      Delete
  5. I do Wordle every day and sometimes say a bad word when the solution is american spelling eg ardor. It’s good for my brain and I usually have a book of crosswords on the go too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Codewords as long as I can look up to see if I'm using the right letter but sometimes crosswords just make me cross!

      Delete
  6. Tried to guess what W would be - didn’t think of wordle. I just did today’s and was pleased with my score of three.

    I thought you last post was thought provoking and disagree, if I may, with Rachel that it was like a gathering of trolls. I have just re-read all the comments and thought people were expressing differing views without any mud slinging. As you said I thought it was a conversation without nasty comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just done todays and it took me 4 tries. Obviously not a wise old owl today!
      The comments were OK - none bothered me. Takes a lot to upset me nowadays

      Delete
    2. I said it was like an under-current. I never said there was any mud-slinging. It was just all a little over polite. Just like you saying there "if I may" .

      Delete
    3. And I disagree. I didn’t think it was like a gathering of trolls, didn’t think there was an undercurrent and didn’t think things were overly polite.

      Delete
    4. Well that's just fine. As you don't have a blog I have no way of knowing a thing about you and my observation was general not specific. No need to get so defensive about it. Perhaps I touched a raw nerve or something.

      Delete
    5. Not a question of being defensive - merely trying to state my opinion without any “false politeness”. No raw nerve or anything touched. Like Sue it takes a lot to upset me.

      I don’t have a blog but have met Sue, I used to be known as Snowdrop Jan but am now just Jan (context provided for Sue).

      Delete
    6. Context provided for Sue, but of course. I am so glad you made that clear. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. I don't do Wordle and can't do cryptic crosswords, because my brain just doesn't work that way. I do Sudoku, Codewords, Polygon most days and sometimes Lexica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cryptic crosswords are like a foreign language to me.
      Haven't heard of Polygon or Lexica - I shall investigate.

      Delete
    2. Cryptic crosswords are exactly that, a language, once you start cracking them they are great fun. I particularly like the puzzles set by Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon. The puzzles are so tight that you know when you have the right answer.

      Delete
    3. My mother-in-law was really good at cryptic crosswords. I bought a couple of books to try and work out how to tackle them. I almost succeeded . . .

      Delete
  8. Soduku and codewords for me and I like Septle, 7, 6 and 5 letter words, the 5-letter is the same as Wordle. At the beginning I needed pen and paper for the 7-letter, but after a while it got better. Annabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Wordle and do it and Wordly (same game, different company) every day. I got todays in four the same as you, being in the Brownies helped!!
    My best ever has been two, which I have managed 11 times seemingly. I WOULD have got the Wordly in one go once, but I used the wrong one out of my two starting words ... gosh I was gutted for a long time after that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy doing wordle and the spelling bee, but like you I don't pay anything for any add ons!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried Wordle. I do crossword puzzles and that's enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I failed on "queue" the other day. Just drew a mental blank.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of Wordle but haven't got around to looking at it - thanks Sue - I loved your breakdown of the answers and your reaction to each day's word - it makes me want to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too play every day. Do you use the same start word each day or vary it? The latter is what we, being my siblings and I do. Tomorrow's start word will be radio. Today's was noisy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wordle is definitely popular everywhere. I do not play every day, just on occasion. Your Wordle scores are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our oldest son plays Wordle a lot. Me, well I tried it once and failed badly so now I just stick to my paper Word Searches, and Words with Friends.

    You do very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love wordle. I don't take a newspaper, and I have never been able to successfully down load a working version on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not got the wordle bug yet. My walking friend does it and sometimes shows me or asks if she hasn't quite got 'it' yet.

    ReplyDelete