Monday 13 November 2023

K is for Kenton, All Saints

 Before I get to K I have to ask - whatever has happened in Blogland? 4 people have stopped in the last week, I've never known such a sudden dropping out. Makes me sad to lose blog friends who I've been reading for years.

Anyway, I'll keep going...................

K was another problem for the alphabet this year. Last time it was Kitchens and I couldn't think of anything else of interest so decided on visiting the church in the nearest village to me that starts with a K - fulfilling two labels at once!

Kenton is one of those small villages - population around 240 - in Suffolk that no one goes to or through unless you are visiting someone or delivering an Amazon parcel! It's in the middle of arable fields just a couple of miles from Debenham and all the roads leading to it are small . 

The church is a typical Suffolk village church but has an unusual side aisle chapel built of red brick




I've never seen one of these in a church or anywhere else before although many villages in Suffolk are mentioned in the Domesday Book.


The porch has two doors into the church the main door and this smaller one into the side aisle/chapel.



It was a dark gloomy day so not so good for inside photos. The church isn't very big but all neat and tidy.


The first thing I noticed were the lovely colourful kneelers.


The carving and pillars of the chancel arch are quite special.


On the left are the stairs that once went up to the rood loft. They start on a window sill so look quite odd.


Not many windows have stained glass the biggest is the East window over the altar



The font has unusual marble legs



And a very old cover. You can read more about the possible history of the font on the Suffolk Churches website - the link is below.





There are several old plaques on the walls, all mentioning different people but with the same date






There are also several circular marks around the walls and this one is coloured.





The side chapel has it's own altar and statuette of the  Blessed Virgin and Child.




From the Suffolk Churches Website I found out more. The side chapel was built as a chantry chapel for the Garney family in about 1520. Two Suffolk historians transcribed John Garney's will of 1522 which directed his body to be buried in his chapel on the south side of Kenton church.

There was one thing I discovered that will take me back to Kenton that is -Apples - . I knew Moat Farm produced apples for sale wholesale but they had some on a stand at the gate too. Nothing better than straight from the orchards.


Back Tomorrow
Sue



35 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call an original way to keep the kneelers. I like the fact that they're on display It would be such a pity to have so much lovely embroidery on the floor, out of sight, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look so colourful as you walk in the door - especially on a gloomy day when I visited

      Delete
  2. Very sad that Sue in Lancashire has stopped blogginh although I understand why. I enjoyed her sensible matter of fact blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought Sue would stop - will miss hearing about her challenges and books.

      Delete
  3. Yes, it feels like losing contact with old friends. Keep going Sue, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope to keep going - I just enjoy writing.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if you could do an A-Z of saints Sue. I haven't dropped out by the way, just wanted to write some personal stuff and get my mind round what is happening in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness you haven't stopped!
      Saints A- Z next year perhaps?

      Delete
  5. I cannot imagine living in a village so small. Lovely if you're used to it and nice to know everyone. The church is so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a very out of the way village although only a couple of miles from the small town of Debenham which has all facilities

      Delete
  6. A lovely little church. Have you been to Bury St Edmunds Cathedral? The kneelers there are wonderful, and portray the parishes in the diocese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes several visit to the Cathedral - it's down the list of visits to Suffolk churches in the labels

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful church, all the unusual details, and the kneelers, wow, lovely.
    It is sad isn't it when bloggers we've come to know and love sign off permanently, even though we totally understand why. Reading my favourite blogs is a little oasis of calm in the middle of my day - long may you feel happy to continue Sue - no pressure :-)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sad that several people have stopped - it's like having friends around the country and I'll miss them

      Delete
  8. I was reading your blog about the church, and then I came across this Guardian article talking about a wonderful touring exhibit about a group of knitters and their exhibit of bible stories, and I wondered if any of the churches listed were near you. https://www.theguardian.com/global/2023/nov/13/behold-the-miracle-of-the-knitted-bible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very surprised to find Yes it visits Suffolk later this month, so I shall go and have a look

      Delete
    2. Oooh thank you for that. I thought the Suffolk visit was Newton which is only 20 mins from me but is Old Newton.. still worth a trip.

      Delete
  9. Loved those 1714 plaques (and the individual spelling!) - the coloured cross on the wall looks similar to a Knight's Templar cross. What lovely kneelers - some good craftswomen in this village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was going to find out more about the Knights Templer type cross on the Suffolk Churches website - but no mention at all.

      Delete
    2. Little Maplestead just across the border in Essex
      http://www.simonknott.co.uk/essexchurches/lmaplestead.htm

      Delete
  10. There is so much history in that old church. Your photos are interesting, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh! I'm still here, following and reading your blog! Always enjoy reading your posts! And those kneelers are lovely. Dawn Pinnataro Albany, Georgia USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness people are still reading! Thank you

      Delete
  12. Knowing a couple of them, I really think that the state of the world has simply rendered people speechless in horror. I know of several bloggers who have said that they have simply run dry. I suspect it has the same cause. People are very passionate right now, ready to fight. I can understand the need to step back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment here, Debby, explains exactly why I too have stopped blogging on Small Treasures. I used to find pleasure in everyday things but now struggle to understand the world. "Speechless in horror" is the perfect description.....

      Delete
  13. This is a very nice, well loved church. The kneelers are beautifully hand crafted. I suspect church members took great care and pride in making them. They add a unique cheerfulness to the church. Please keep writing Sue. I find some people are walking away because of the grief, misery, pain and suffering going on in the world today. It is sad and not easy for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy all your posts and look forward to reading. Your content is diverse, well written, always interesting. Please do not stop.

    Next alphabet series maybe we the readers can chime in with letter ideas? kite, kettles, kracker jacks toys.....[gosh, really not many K s are there! Kauliflower pickles?]

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know, I am so surprised at the number of people leaving blogland. I was so glad to read that you are staying.

    Love those colourful kneelers.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will miss Sue's interesting blog entries too. The blogs I follow help give me a different perspective on life - you all cope with different circumstances with courage and humour and that helps me immeasurably.

    What a lovely, much loved, little church. I wondered if those circular wall markings might have been from the consecration, or dedication of the church? I thought that only debt-free churches could be consecrated and so it was a prestigious mark. But that's only a wild guess, and the Knights Templar suggestion may be more accurate. Thanks you taking us on another interesting outing. I hope the apples tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those kneelers caught my eye in that photo, too. Someone or several ones put a lot of work and care into making them. Have you ever visited any of these churches on a Sunday to see how many are in attendance?
    And though I'm sometimes at a loss as to what to write I keep at it. I'm just not as comfortable as some going into a lot of personal details.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great church! Suffolk has some great churches.

    I think Blogland has its ups and downs. Sometimes it's hard to know what to write or how much to share. I have to say I hope you don't stop writing anytime soon. Your blogs really give me a lovely taste of home especially when I'm feeling a little down.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, bit late to comment but I have just been reading “Remembering the Old Ways “ Instagram post & remembered your blog post. Michelle from Remembering the old ways stopped blogging years ago but posts on Instagram daily (131,000 followers!) - I wonder if more are just moving to Instagram? I have never posted on either so don’t know how easy it is, but Instagram is easier to view ( I now only read your blog & A Smaller & Simpler life ( if she returns from her break , otherwise you will be last man standing!) Please keep blogging (or eventually Instagramming) as I enjoy your posts! Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting. John Garneys is my 16x great grandfather who died in 1524. Not sure who the Jane Garneys is - there were plenty of Garneys in Kenton and it is not possible to trace the descent of each and every one. She may be Jane Jeffrey the widow of Nathaniel Garneys who died in 1693.

    ReplyDelete