Wednesday 22 November 2023

S is for a Second-Hand Post

S is for Sorry - I just ran out of time/energy/ideas so here's a repeat of last year - with a couple of updates -  when I covered lots of things

 Suffolk.............A good County to live in, no cities and no motorways and there are still quiet places. The family history shows that many generations before me have also been born and lived here all their lives, as far back as the 1700's at least.
Suffolk people are well grounded, we know Suffolk has been here for ever and will probably stay much the same too. We quite like being ignored by others who think it's just a large flat county with nothing much to see! 

Susan ........my Mum wanted to call me Jane, but apparently Grandma said I would get called "Plain Jane" so I was named Susan Jane instead. When I got to Grammar school there were 5 Susan's in my year - which was annoying for everyone. There was one Jane but she left after a term or two. Mum shouldn't have listened to her Mother! I'm only Susan now to my cousins and to myself if I tell myself off!

Stowmarket.............main town in Mid Suffolk, the place where I was at Grammar school, went to Youth Club, and the cinema, hung around with friends and went shopping for all the years before we moved East to the smallholding, and now I'm back shopping there again. Asda is just off the town centre and Aldi, Lidl and Tesco all have their own carparks a little further out from the centre. Not many empty shops in town either. 2023 - A year later there are many more empty People moan about how many smaller independent shops have closed in the last 20 years, but that's the same everywhere. There will be one more empty shop next month as I noticed the Cancer Research Charity shop is closing - 2023  Sad that it closed -it's still empty, you know things are bad when even the charity shops who don't pay full business rates can't afford to stay open.

Seeds.................. nearly time to investigate what seeds I need for next year's vegetable growing.

Shopping....... I'm one of those strange people who don't mind going food shopping, specially now I'm not in a hurry. I've always done it on my own- it's not a chore. But clothes shopping is a completely different thing - don't like that or shoe shopping at all. Life is so much easier with supermarkets having clothes as I can look at what they have when I'm there for food. I've only ever done grocery shopping online once and found it a real faff!


And a new bit.............Scout Post

I shall get my Christmas cards written for my cousins in Ipswich and Felixstowe next week and drop them into a collection point for the Scout groups of those areas to deliver. It costs 35p for each card  and all the money raised goes to the Scout's funds. This all started 35 years ago with one Ipswich Scout Group delivering in their local area and has spread. 


Back Tomorrow
Sue


26 comments:

  1. Scouts deliver the Christmas cards?! I've never heard of it, but such a good idea for a fundraiser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It mainly involves parents and leaders I think but raises £1,000s every year

      Delete
  2. S is for Senile. Because I don't remember any of this from last year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. S is for Sadly we no longer have the very useful Scout Post as they went out of business during the Pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a shame. Shortage of leaders and helpers I guess

      Delete
  4. S is for Sensible. This was a good post first time round, so it is Sensible to Share it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scout Post sounds brilliant. I've never heard of it before today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite well established in several towns in Suffolk nowadays

      Delete
  6. Are you still swimming Sue? It’s SwimFit at a school pool for me today. Costs seven pounds and lasts sixty minutes and there is a coach poolside telling us which strokes to swim. I get out and stand under a hot shower shampooing my short hair feeling like I have worked every sinew of my sixty-something body. Sarah in Sussex - who else?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Sarah should win a prize for the comment containing the most S's. :-)

      Delete
    2. That certainly is a lot of S's .
      As for the swimming question - Half term, two flooded friday roads and then a grotty cold and No I've not been for a few weeks

      Delete
  7. Sadly many empty shops in our large regional city also, large supermarkets still making record profits as the poor get poorer.Same as most western nations as I’m in southern Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mainly the bigger shops that stay empty - they look so sad.

      Delete
  8. Scouts post in this area, my granddaughter does it. As for names my daughter gets cross about her name which is Karen. Apparently today to be a 'Karen' is not good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Names certainly go in circles - 3 generations in between I reckon

      Delete
  9. Names - always good for a discussion aren't they? My second name is Jane but I often wonder what the real use of middle names is...... I suppose they are often used to honour/flatter a relation........
    The scout post sounds like excellent value.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe to differentiate between children and parents when first names were used in many generations

      Delete
  10. I am so with you on the subject of shopping!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind shopping which often now involves stopping for a coffee and no rushing about

      Delete
  11. I am also Susan Jane. My grandmother wanted Susanna and other family members want Margaret. My mother insisted in SJ. I was the only SJ in school so there was no confusion. Susanna would have been ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stowmarket was home to my mothers side of my family (Haughley for my father's), but it is many years since I last visited. One of my memories is seeing my first real steam train on the railway line into Stow, we lived in Sussex and had to make do with third rail electric trains. Another childhood memory is visiting around the time of a serious fire at the cattle market, and hearing gruesome stories about pulling burned carcasses out of the remains after the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One year I did a Christmas Card delivery with the Youth Group. People paid a bit and we would deliver the card with a song.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this - second hand and brand new - perfect for this season! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your 's' post. My family goes back a long way in Suffolk too, some from across the border in Norfolk too. It's interesting to research. Suffolk is quite a beautiful county. I miss it and always look forward to coming back.

    ReplyDelete