Saturday 11 November 2023

J is for Jam (and other things) Again

 Last year J was for Jam (and chutneys and relishes). I struggled to come up with something for this year. Do you know there are no villages in Suffolk that start with a J? The only things in my labels for J are jigsaw puzzles which I don't do anymore and jumble sales - and they are a rare happening now.

But then decided I could do J for Jam(and chutneys and relishes) again because this year some different things were made and at WI this week we had a man who recently retired from local government and started a small business - Swallowtail Preserves - making and selling jam, jellies, marmalade, chutney and pickles.

He was originally a scientist and had some handouts showing the pie charts of how chutney is made (evaporation, caramelisation etc) which went over my head - don't need to know the science - just the recipe and the taste! He spoke about the hoops he had to jump through to get permission to set up as a business. I knew some of this from doing the Hygiene certificate and District Council kitchen inspection back in smallholding days when I made and sold for WI country markets and at the gate. Things are even stricter now with more rules about labelling.
He gets much of his produce from a relative who has a smallholding and makes around 30 different things. To have enough orange marmalade, his best seller, he has to buy enough Seville oranges in January to fill a chest freezer.

I bought a jar of lemon and lime marmalade to make a change from my homemade - which is always the cheats marmalade from tins of prepared fruit.

 


Meanwhile back in my own kitchen I tried a small batch of something new - Mango and Apricot chutney - to finish up the dried apricots that were bought in the summer  for marrow and apricot jam. 
I usually do a mango and  sweet pepper chutney to go with curries and to give away but didn't this year due to the problem of something eating the peppers - and I had a jar left from last year anyway.
I'd photocopied the recipe from somewhere ages ago and made half measures which still seemed to contain a lot of sugar. The recipe also had grated fresh ginger but as I'd made some other gingery things through the year I left that out. It used garlic cloves and chopped chilli pepper so has plenty of ooomph even without the ginger.


It is quite a sticky chutney - very similar to the red onion 'marmalade' chutney in consistency and Oh My Goodness it's absolutely delicious - even straight away. Suddenly becoming my new favourite chutney! It will be made again for sure.

Other things I've done this year which haven't been made before were the 'Compost Jelly' - mainly made from blackberries and apple peelings and over ripe plums. That's also delicious and will definitely be made again. Also new to me were pickled gherkins and the sweet and sour cucumber pickle. I won't bother with growing and pickling gherkins again but the cucumber pickle is good.

Plenty of preserves made for me and to put into the Christmas Hampers.

Back Monday
Sue




43 comments:

  1. I admire the determination of people who have a huge career change and set up in business like that. But lately my observation has been that the ones who succeed have supportive families behind them. I wonder why he chose Swallowtail as his brand name? I love the stickers on the lids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he said that his relatives farm is on the Norfolk Broads which is now the only place that Swallowtail Butterflies can be found

      Delete
    2. Sorry for butting in, but I wanted to let Thelma know that I can't access her Blog today. It says I need permission...

      Delete
  2. It all sounds good, I can't eat anything with spices in though that is the road that makers are going down. I miss jam making and also the clear transparent colour of jellies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy making chutneys and trying new recipes even though I end up giving lots away

      Delete
  3. I wish I was on your Christmas hamper list!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all sounds good but that chutney really sounds amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try the chutney again but with a bit less sugar - it's quite sweet

      Delete
  5. Who doesn't love a pot of jam? I used to grow produce specifically with that in mind, homegrown homemade preserves .The beauty of growing and making your own is you can adjust to taste. I will omit coriander 100% of the time But happily increase things such as chillies. cinnamon and ginger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only used to make things with my own ingredients but now try other recipes that means buying in small quantities.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a very interesting talk and it’s good that he has found a new career. I like the sound of the marmalade you bought-it’s a change from the standard orange. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. The chutney is so good - I could eat it by the spoonful!

      Delete
  8. Homemade jam and marmalade always tastes better so I buy some whenever I get the chance ( I've never plucked up the courage to make my own) Local honey is wonderful too here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Local made is best. Luckily I can get local honey too.
      Jam isn't too difficult to make - except the fruits that don't set very well!

      Delete
  9. I love your never say die attitude - ‘haven't got this….I’ll substitute that instead’ …..it’ll taste just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about ratios of fruit and veg to vinegar

      Delete
  10. I like homemade jam and buy what I need at the annual church fete. I have made jam in the past when I was young and had more outlets for it but now living on my own it would be pointless. My mother made jams of all varieties and I learned from her. She made pickles in dry brine and I still do the same and make my own. It is much easier to make one jar of pickle than it is to make one jar of jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely not worth making one jar of jam!
      The Swallowtail man had pickled red cabbage too - which reminded me that was something you make.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I make myself a jar each month. I also do dry brine vegetable pickles from time to time with anything that is to hand like green beans, cauliflower, onion, cabbage, cucumber etc.

      Delete
  11. That chutney looks delicious, I made quite a bit of rhubarb and ginger chili jam this year and I love it, goes so well with cheese and cold meats......
    It was a bit fiddly in that it wanted to 'catch" towards the end of cooking but worth it.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had trouble with the mango and apricot catching too. Next time it will have a bit less sugar and more vinegar

      Delete
  12. That chutney sounds good. Like you I don't bother with all the faff of peparing seville oranges for Marmalade (on the rare occasion I make it) but buy a tin of Mamade instead! Just as good. Home-made jams can't be beaten as they taste of FRUIT and not just sugar! Ditto chutney - has flavour and texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the Mamade was good until I tasted my friends proper marmalade - and now I've been spoiled!

      Delete
  13. I use the ready made stuff in tins for marmalade but always add something else to shoosh it up a bit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried Whisky or ginger- good with the orange and canned grapefruit with the lemon, any other ideas?

      Delete
    2. I do a lemon and gin marmalade with the lemon Mamade. Very nice!!

      Delete
  14. Jeesh, you know, I don't believe I've ever tried a chutney. Off to google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to eat with many savoury things

      Delete
    2. Chutney is also called relish and pickle Debby. The method of preparation is all much the same.

      Delete
  15. There is nothing better than homemade jams, pickles and chutneys. I buy local and mostly at the Farmer's Market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good place to buy - support small producers

      Delete
  16. I've never made jam or jelly in my whole life. And I don't think I have ever eaten chutney. Yours does look yummy tho, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been making all those ever since I first married.

      You still have time to have a go

      Delete
  17. I will one day try my hand at chutney making. I made a tomato jam this year which is actually quite tasty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mango and Apricot chutney sounds delicious, and worth making. My husband makes marmalade every year and one year he got carried away and made three lots, because there had been a shortage of getting the Seville oranges in previous years, so each time we saw some that year, he bought even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try proper marmalade in seville season as it is nicer than the canned. Although I'm put off my the chopping etc

      Delete
  19. I thought you could not beat real Seville orange marmalade until I started using my own Calamondin oranges - a cross between a kumquat and a tangerine. My metre high tree (bought from the Citrus Centre in 2020 as a 60th birthday present to me) is still outside tucked up against the house wall to protect it from ALL the rain and is covered in scented white blossom and acorn-cap sized green fruits. I’ll bring it indoors in December when it will double as our Christmas tree and the fruits will grow to ping pong ball size and turn orange. The blossom and fruiting continues through the winter and spring and I pick the oranges when ripe - about 16 oranges makes one jar of marmalade and I usually manage to make four jars between January and April. We had roasted autumn veg with a nutty crumble topping last night and I thought a creamy rice pudding would be perfect afterwards. I put a couple of slices of quince in the rice pudding as it cooked which flavoured the pudding in the most delicious way. Quince jelly is on my to do list as I still have a small basket of quince although I like to enjoy their scent, shape and colour in their natural state for as long as possible. I also used to make jams and jellies with allotment produce for the WI country market for a couple of years in the early 2000s - and then the novelty wore off. Nowadays I make one or two jars at a time using different combinations. For example I made a blackberry and mint jelly in August which was lovely - just one pot for us! Must just say I have never seen such bounteous glossy rose hips and juicy sloes in the hedgerows - must be all the rain. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you pick a recipe where you boil the oranges whole and the chop it’s not much of a faff.
    https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/seville-orange-marmalade/

    I tend to cut back on the sugar as I like a sharp marmalade

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks really nice! Well worth making. Do people give you feedback on the jams and chutneys you make when you put them in the baskets?

    ReplyDelete