Tuesday 28 November 2023

X is for Xmas

 I didn't like using Xmas for Christmas but understand from those in the know about these things that it's now recognised as being  legitimate and OK to use and not just a lazy way of writing about the season.

So for X this year  I decided to visit some local Christmas/Xmas Fairs/Fayres and take a photo at every one I could get to.  Perhaps have a coffee and cake at all of them too. Although I had to give up that idea when straight away the first 3 were on the same morning!

This was the first, where I just found a couple of books, had a coughing fit, (the cough was the remains of a snotty 3 day cold given to me by middle grandson when I looked after him!) went into the coffee area to get a drink........ and hot sausage roll for breakfast and forgot to back into the church bit for a photo. 


This was the second Fayre of the day and I found  nothing I wanted so just had some tickets for the Grand Prize Draw - which was more of a donation to the church as I never win anything!

Very busy


                 And this on my way home was the third of the day and again I didn't buy anything 



                                                                      Not so busy here 




I popped to another on Sunday 19th at Stowmarket Leisure Centre, but forgot a photo. It was called a Grand Christmas Market rather than a craft fayre and was much bigger but I couldn't stay long as it was full of burning scented candles and soaps and other smellies and set me off coughing again. Several of the people who had been at numbers fairs # 2 and 3 the day before were also at this one.

Then on Saturday 25th it was off to visit a couple more (the things I do for a blog post!) First at Debenham Leisure Centre



Very busy, lots of different crafted items for sale. But as usual nothing I really needed - makes me feel very guilty and I know I'm really odd in not wearing jewellery, make up or needing smelly candles and I've already all the Christmas decorations, cards, hats, scarves, gloves and Christmas crackers that I need. Someone had jewellery using old fashioned pen nibs from the 40's/ 50's - nice idea but they looked lethal!
But I did pick up a small, sensibly priced, holly wreath for putting on my Mum and Dad in Laws grave and a little bunch of dried bits to add to my Christmas greenery vase next month.

The second, below, was at the  Church in Son's village, where I met up with the family. It was crowded. (That's my two small horrors in the photo - not a random photo of someone else's children!) Found out from the family that Youngest Granddaughter had been off school for a few days since last I saw them with  Scarlet Fever! Where the heck had that come from. DiL said that one day in the week they were very short of staff and children at her school due to various illnesses. So many things doing the rounds. Probably not helped by all the Christmas Fairs!



We all had a cuppa and cake at this one and several goes on the tombola where I won a bottle of some sort of flavoured fruit juice and a bottle of eau-de-cologne - both of which I gave to Daughter in Law to use for something.
A lady here had some beautiful willow baskets in various shapes and sizes - I was Very tempted, as baskets are a weakness - except that once I have them I'm never sure where to put them and really I have enough already in use and no where to display any others.

 The last time I went to this big Christmas Fayre in the town centre, was on a Saturday in December 2018 - 7 months after Colin died. That time they had one of those small artificial ice rinks. I remember feeling very sad among all the families enjoying themselves and didn't stay long.



Since Covid they've moved the fayre to a Sunday and it's got much bigger . Son and DiL went last year - I think- and said it was crowded and mainly food stalls.
I was in town anyway as I've recently started going to the big United Reform Church (URC) in Stowmarket for their Sunday service. It is much busier than the small version in my village, so I can hide at the back, sing hymns, sit quietly and slip out at the end. The church has a nice feel to it too and very welcoming. My cousin's husband was preaching on Sunday - dragged out of retirement I think! and surprised to see me there.

It wasn't very busy through the street when I arrived in town so plenty of room to walk through to church and I was surprised to see a small 'big' wheel.


It seemed to be mainly food and jewellery stalls as I continued up the street and I thought I'd have a better look round after church.

But when I came out of church the street was PACKED! (Just like I remember Ipswich Town Centre on Christmas eve many years ago!)  I didn't get much of a look around or more photos - much too busy-  but it was definitely almost all food stalls. You name it - and you could buy every nationality there. But if you didn't want food there wasn't much to see! I battled my way back to the car park - which was also crazily busy- and thankfully went home. 

Sunday was also the turn of my village to have a Christmas Craft Fayre. So after lunch I strolled up the road looked around the stalls ...........jewellery, candles, knitted Christmas decorations, dog snoods(?!) and once again bought nothing. I did have a £1s worth of Grand Draw tickets - didn't win obviously. I didn't take a photo as the place was empty apart from me and the stallholders.


That was as many as I could manage for this X for Xmas/Christmas Fair/Fayre  blog post but there are still more happening in December in various villages around which I may or may not visit and probably still feel guilty for not buying anything again!

Back Tomorrow
Sue





39 comments:

  1. My mother used to get so cross when anyone used the X-word that I flinch whenever I see it! I've never found anything I wanted at a Christmas Fair either - though somebody must buy stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keen either but someone said it was used in the distant past for 'Christ' . It was just for this post - then I shall never use it again!

      Delete
  2. Gosh! you have put in a lot of hard work for this blog - well done you 😃
    but please tell me why Bacton Fayre has a table selling what looks like coloured fire extinguisher?……
    Best wishes from Country Cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'd been adding bits after each fair I hadn't realised what a long post this was. And Yes they were fire extinguishers etc. that had been turned into lamps - all very odd - wouldn't want one in my house!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for solving that mystery!
      - and “No”I wouldn’t want one either
      Country Cook

      Delete
  3. We've been doing something very similar and I always end up feeling guilty for not buying anything. I did buy a woven willow star at the last one, but like you I resisted all the gorgeous but expensive baskets, as much as I love them I'm running out of things to do with them. And, shock horror, I'm even getting fed up of buying and drinking a coffee at each Fair/Fayre to try and salve my conscious. ☕️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up cake and coffee at every Fair after day one!

      Delete
  4. I do not like seeing Christmas written Xmas either. I was raised to write it out. In full and I was taught that these shortened version was lazy. However. Like you, I am now re educated on the matter. And even though I still don't like seeing it, I understand the legitimate reason why. it is as correct as Christmas. What's the difference in craft markets! One seems to have underwhelming support, and the other one is packed out. this weekend coming up is the weekend for craft markets Here. The neighboring village has a late night shopping then we've got four different craft markets in two days. I doubt the Sunday ones will do very much as everyone will be in on Saturday for Sion Corn, the tree lighting etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel sad for people who've been busy making things for weeks and sell almost nothing. It would put me off for ever

      Delete
  5. Christmas is a good descriptive word, whilst something starting with 'X' has something evil about it. Your devotion to going round Christmas Fairs, (not Fayres) is wondrous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you Google "X for Xmas" you will see it isn't evil at all, but an abbreviation for Jesus.

      Delete
    2. Not sure it was devotion. More about getting out and about while able!

      Delete
  6. I am quite relaxed about Xmas instead of Christmas but am more exercised about Fayre as opposed to Fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair/Fayre seems interchangeable for Summer and Christmas

      Delete
  7. I don't like Xmas either, nor do I like Happy Christmas. It is Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this, and so sympathise with the sudden coughing fits - I've had a cold, and it is just a cold but I always cough on 'nothing' for weeks afterwards!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the smelly candles that did it and the tickle wasn't eased with a drink of water either - all gone now thankfully

      Delete
  9. I am coming down with a cold I believe, or at least I have the sniffles.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. X as the initial of Christ, Christos, has been a respected usage since the earliest days of Christianity. it was a quiet way of identifying other Christians in an era when it was dangerous to be too overt. So it's fine to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still not entirely happy at using Xmas. I shall revert to Christmas for the rest of the year

      Delete
    2. X is also boxes ticked from Christmas lists. Your Christmas fayres look like such fun and your grands are cuties.

      Delete
  11. Wow! That's a lot of Christmas fairs! But you did a good job of not wasting your money. I have so many bins of Christmas decorations already that I am not tempted to even look at more stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like looking but manage not to spend quite easily

      Delete
  12. I'm not so sure about Fayre though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our local Christmas Fairs seem to focus on selling holiday door wreaths and centerpieces. Church members volunteer to make the wreaths and centerpieces using cuttings from their own gardens. They add a trinkets and ribbons to give each wreath a theme. They sell very well. Local artists show their crafts/art and most are selling as well. Gingerbread house kits are popular too. Scarlet fever? I thought that was history. I hope your granddaughter is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gingerbread house kits are something I've never seen at craft fairs here but I don't think I'll take it up as an idea!
      Granddaughter is fine now but passed it to her little brother . I hadn't heard of Scarlet Fever since I was a child so it's all a mystery. Seems to be a mild version.

      Delete
    2. There was a serious outbreak of Scarlet Fever/Strep in Feb March time.

      Delete
  14. I was surprised by the scarlet fever diagnosis as well. You don't often hear of that on this side of the pond. Your fayres look so very fun. X stands for ticking boxes in my corner of the world. I'm pretty much done, and wrapping. Tim keeps asking me what I want for Christmas. I don't even know. I finally told him I would like him to rewire our bedroom lamps with a longer cord. "Maybe I could get new lamps," he suggested hopefully. But I like our lamps. They are old and it took me forever to find lampshades to match! New cords will do me just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lordy, I just lover craft fairs but I like to look more than anything else. But I am also still very paranoid about flu, RSV, covid, etc so I still wear a mask when out in BIG crowds. Just makes me feel better, lol. I have found a few gingerbread decor items at craft fairs but then don't buy them because I think to myself I can make them too ! But they are fun to go to. Dawn Pinnataro Albany, Georgia USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like looking - gets me in a Christmas mood - but rarely buy anything

      Delete
  16. Good grief Sue...you can't have been home much lately! Hope you enjoyed all your excursions. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere within a few miles so not too bad, but plan on hibernating in January!

      Delete
  17. As far as I know tombolas are not a thing in Canada. We brought our Canadian teenage grandson to Suffolk this year. Went to a fete where he was dragging his heels until he discovered the tombola. He thought it was the best thing ever! He pretty much spent all his holiday money on it and was thrilled with his winnings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tombola's are a good way to make a lot of money from lots of donated things - I always win something useless!

      Delete
  18. So many Christmas Fayres, I think I'd like them here, there has only been one here so far, but Saturday there's one in the middle of town un the museum and FC will be there, with artificial snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many here - no idea why they are so popular. Must be lots of crafters making stuff!

      Delete
  19. So much work goes into these fairs by willing volunteers and it's sad when there's so much competition for so much of the same thing. How many scented candles can one person buy?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do miss going to a good old Fayre. They don't tend to have so many little ones like that here. Thanks for sharing all the photos.
    It used to be so busy in Ipswich around Christmas time. I can remember barely being able to get anywhere and the queues for the buses were ridiculous. Ah, the good old days!

    ReplyDelete